Got the Blackberry Z30

Christian

Jan 17, 2014, 5:19:20 PM1/17/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!
It has been very quiet on this list, so I thought I send a message telling you that I have now got the New Bb phone, the Z30 with built in screen reader.
Going to try it, have not installed a SIMcard into it, but I am very excited about this.
Have just enabled the screen reader and the speaker on this phone is the best I've ever heared on a smartphone.
If every thing goes well, I am thinking about doing an audio review of this phone, if anyone is interested in it.
Well, the phone feels very good in build quality and its maybe a bit bigger than the iphone and it feels good in hand.
On the right side are the two small volume keys and the power button at the top of the phone.
On the left is the mini USB.
The camera is at the top left back corner of the phone.
Thats all right now but will keep the list updated and feel free to ask!
Christian

Suman Kumar Bhokray

Jan 17, 2014, 8:09:48 PM1/17/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful. rite mail at the rite time. I was thinking to change my BB9360. I was looking into options line iphone and the samsungs. Dint wanted to tuch blackberry because of the screenreader limittations in BB7. Now I got some one testing BB10 on this list. I request you to host a audio demo of this phone that will be very helpfull.
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Christian <chris...@runbox.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 23:19:20 +0100
Subject: [BB Access] Got the Blackberry Z30

Pete Nalda

Jan 17, 2014, 8:21:20 PM1/17/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious as to whether or not BB10 maps have any voice guided navigation features like iPhones or android phones. I think I would still be more interested in an N series bb phone because of the physical keyboard.

Egun On, Lagunak! (basque for G'day, Mates
Louie P (Pete) Nalda
Twitter: @lpnalda

Christian

Jan 17, 2014, 8:43:04 PM1/17/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pete,
What phone with keyboard are you refering to?
Christian

On 2014-01-17 at 19:21 Pete Nalda wrote:

>I'm curious as to whether or not BB10 maps have any voice guided
>navigation features like iPhones or android phones. I think I would still
>be more interested in an N series bb phone because of the physical
>keyboard.
>
>Egun On, Lagunak! (basque for G'day, Mates
>Louie P (Pete) Nalda
>MySpace.com/musikonalda
>Facebook.com/lpnalda
>Linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
>Twitter: @lpnalda
>
>> On Jan 17, 2014, at 7:09 PM, "Suman Kumar Bhokray" <ad...@bhokray.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> Wonderful. rite mail at the rite time. I was thinking to change my
>BB9360. I was looking into options line iphone and the samsungs. Dint
>wanted to tuch blackberry because of the screenreader limittations in BB7.
>Now I got some one testing BB10 on this list. I request you to host a
>audio demo of this phone that will be very helpfull.
>> Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Pete Nalda

Jan 17, 2014, 8:58:14 PM1/17/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
Oh shucks! is it the Q series bb10 phones with physical keyboard? I'm confused!

Egun On, Lagunak! (basque for G'day, Mates
Louie P (Pete) Nalda
MySpace.com/musikonalda
Facebook.com/lpnalda
Linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
Twitter: @lpnalda

> On Jan 17, 2014, at 7:43 PM, "Christian" <chris...@runbox.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Pete,
> What phone with keyboard are you refering to?
> Christian
>

>> On 2014-01-17 at 19:21 Pete Nalda wrote:
>>
>> I'm curious as to whether or not BB10 maps have any voice guided
>> navigation features like iPhones or android phones. I think I would still
>> be more interested in an N series bb phone because of the physical
>> keyboard.
>>
>> Egun On, Lagunak! (basque for G'day, Mates
>> Louie P (Pete) Nalda
>> MySpace.com/musikonalda
>> Facebook.com/lpnalda
>> Linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
>> Twitter: @lpnalda

>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wonderful. rite mail at the rite time. I was thinking to change my
>> BB9360. I was looking into options line iphone and the samsungs. Dint
>> wanted to tuch blackberry because of the screenreader limittations in BB7.
>> Now I got some one testing BB10 on this list. I request you to host a
>> audio demo of this phone that will be very helpfull.
>>> Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Christian

Jan 18, 2014, 6:28:03 AM1/18/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Yes, its the q10 wich has a physical qwerty keyboard.
But you nheed to update the OS on it to get the Blackberry screen reader.
Christian

Suman Kumar Bhokray

Jan 18, 2014, 10:05:45 AM1/18/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
so! can i update the os on q10 strate from blackberry?
or do i need to crack the phone
Every 3000 sheets of paper costs a tree
so think well before you print
wishes
Suman Bhokray
M.D
yesyesvi services
GM
sri srinivasa multispeciality hospital
SSMH
18001022678 toll free india
http://www.yesyesvi.com/
http://www.ssmh.co.in/

Christian

Jan 18, 2014, 5:12:52 PM1/18/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Yes, htink you can, but be sure to check it.
Keep in mind that the Q10 does not have a trackpad or anything you have to use the gestures on the screen to move.
Well, I start to get more used to the Z30 now, but its charging.
It seems like you have to use standard Blackberry gestures also, like when minimizing an app, you swipe from bottotm to top. So that means, you have to read the manual a little to find out the gestures because they are not listed with the screen reader gestures.
One gesture I like is the status gesture for reading the time and signal.
They are separate from each other.
Swipe quickly up and down reads the time and the other way is for battery and signal, even though it hasn't given any info.
If you know where an item is on the screen, you can directly move to that and you can also explore the screen with one finger.
The phone is very good when placing phone calls. The keypad is little arranged as on the Android iPhone.
But when it comes to ending phone calls, I have not been able to do that with the double tap gesture so maybe its because its locked. Will have to find that out.
Have not used the keyboard for typing yet, will do that soon.
Have connected the phone to my computer and been able to transfer files to it.
Is anyone here using BBM?
Would be cool to try with someone.
Christian

Suman Kumar Bhokray

Jan 19, 2014, 2:27:29 AM1/19/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
yes i am on BBM.
and here is my PIN 299E9F2B

Loreal Lavigna

Jan 20, 2014, 1:46:14 AM1/20/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
Yeah it's the Q series phones with the qwerty keyboards.

Jeffrey D. Stark

Jan 20, 2014, 4:24:47 PM1/20/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
So how many here have the:
Z30?
Z10?
Q10?
Q5?

Rajiv Shah

Jan 23, 2014, 7:27:09 AM1/23/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
,

So I assume that the user on this list who obtained the Z30 has been using it now for a few days. So what is the verdict? Is it on a par with IOS and Android access?

Rajiv

Hello

Yeah it's the Q series phones with the qwerty keyboards.

Oh shucks! is it the Q series bb10 phones with physical keyboard? I'm confused!

Egun On, Lagunak! (basque for G'day, Mates
Louie P (Pete) Nalda
MySpace.com/musikonalda
Facebook.com/lpnalda
Linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
Twitter: @lpnalda

> On Jan 17, 2014, at 7:43 PM, "Christian" wrote:
>
> Hi Pete,
> What phone with keyboard are you refering to?
> Christian
>

>> On 2014-01-17 at 19:21 Pete Nalda wrote:
>>
>> I'm curious as to whether or not BB10 maps have any voice guided
>> navigation features like iPhones or android phones. I think I would still
>> be more interested in an N series bb phone because of the physical
>> keyboard.
>>
>> Egun On, Lagunak! (basque for G'day, Mates
>> Louie P (Pete) Nalda
>> MySpace.com/musikonalda
>> Facebook.com/lpnalda
>> Linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
>> Twitter: @lpnalda

>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wonderful. rite mail at the rite time. I was thinking to change my
>> BB9360. I was looking into options line iphone and the samsungs. Dint
>> wanted to tuch blackberry because of the screenreader limittations in BB7.
>> Now I got some one testing BB10 on this list. I request you to host a
>> audio demo of this phone that will be very helpfull.
>>> Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel
>>> From: Christian
>>> Sender: bbac...@googlegroups.com
>>> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 23:19:20 +0100

Christian

Jan 23, 2014, 1:40:47 PM1/23/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Well, I have had it now for a few days and I can say that not all of the apps on the phone are supported by the screen reader.
I am a little disappointed since I thought that this was going to be a little better than it was.
You have to explore the screen very often, like you can do on Android and ios since some times you are not able to move line by line and that can be really annoying and it takes time then to get things done and the screen reader also stops talking some times for a little while.
Some items cannot be activated.
For example, I am not able to change the system language. Nothing happens when I double tap on that in the settings application.
The languages are visible but cannot be activated. So I am not able to change the input language either.
Its not possible to edit word documents on the phone either.
So I would say that this is not a finished product and I wish that I had been able to try this before I got the phone since I cannot rely on this for my daily use.
I have also problems using the help application on the phone.
Using the screen reader during phone calls for entering numbers or turning the speaker phone on or off doesn't work reliable either.
Some times the screen reader counts numbers from 0 through 9 and goes back and you have to lock the screen in order for it to stop.
So I would say, wait to get a new Blackberry phone.
You also need sighted assistance to activate the phone for the first time, even though the screen reader can be turned on but it will not let you move further from the first language selection screen.
This is really bad from my opinion, especially when you include this screen reader in the phone specs and its not working fully on the phone, or at least in most of the apps.
I can record some samples if anyone is interested, just so you can hear.
Don't have time to write more at the moment, but feel free to ask.
Christian

Suman Kumar Bhokray

Jan 24, 2014, 10:49:23 AM1/24/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
i very well need your samples. plz do let me know the sorce.
i was planning to go with this phone since my bb became very old by now and
i have to change it in no time.
so now after listening to you i understand that bb is not a rite option for
me. cause i cant really take chance in my day to day business needs. so
whats next?
need your ideas

Every 3000 sheets of paper costs a tree
so think well before you print
wishes
Suman Bhokray
M.D
yesyesvi services
GM
sri srinivasa multispeciality hospital
SSMH
18001022678 toll free india
http://www.yesyesvi.com/
http://www.ssmh.co.in/

Stuart Lawler

Jan 24, 2014, 5:44:35 PM1/24/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
The BlackBerry Screen Reading offering on OS 10 was described to me recently as being still very much a beta product. Christian, it looks like you have the very early implementation of screen reading on this device, and I would worry whether or not BlackBerry are going to continue to make it a priority.

Stuart

Jeffrey D. Stark

Jan 24, 2014, 10:49:42 PM1/24/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the heads up.

Any particular apps you have found that don't work with the screen reader ?

Christian

Jan 26, 2014, 12:10:38 PM1/26/14
to bbac...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
So well, I have been doing some more tests here now.
And actually, with a later build of the OS it workd a little better! But, there are still issues. The stop talking thing doesn't acure as much as before.
The screen reader also tels you when an app has been minimized.
Works a bit better in Blackberry hub, where you read your messages, including text messages and emails and other notifications.
In the web browser it reads line by line but it seems to have focus issues since after clicking a link something else can opened that wasn't activated.
But you can set it to navigate links, headings, line by line, etc.
Youtube does not work either. That also uses the web browser and I cannot find the serch field or start playing something.
It seems like you still have to explore the screen in some cases in order to find things, like in the sound recorder wich can be used when you send an MMS message. The record button is in the middle of the screen and is not labeled.
Have to do some other gestures wich are not screen reader specific in order to do things.
The Blackberry world where you download apps seems to be usable. Have downloaded Skype and installed it. But Skype itself is not accessible as of yet. Nothing is read except that I was able to find the sign in button but nothing else. Could not enter my login details.
Have not been able to try BBM. Getting an error that I am not connected to Blackberry.
So to summarize, I know this was not taken in a particular order but these are my findings and I am reporting it to Rim accessibility team.
So it seems that they are improving the screen reader after all, so just wait and see.
Christian