Question: Support for OSGI

Thanadee Ujjubandh

May 25, 2023, 12:41:19 AM5/25/23
to bazel-discuss
Hi All,

I am interested in using Bazel in building eclipse OSGI application.

But from my research it seems all of the Bazel projects are on hold especially when we want to resolve dynamic dependency using target platform (similar to what Maven Tycho did).

Do we have a way to do this now or do we have a guideline/instruction to do so?

All the helps/answers are very appreciate. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Thanadee

Gunnar Wagenknecht

May 25, 2023, 1:08:30 AM5/25/23
to Thanadee Ujjubandh, bazel-discuss
Hi Thanadee,

From your descriptions it sounds like you are looking for Tycho's support for a manifest-first driven approach. I think such an approach is not possible yet, i.e. you have to have dependencies declared in targets in BUILD files.

Thus, the only support Bazel can provide is generating OSGi headers (with some genrule).

It might be doable to implement '.target' file based dependency fetching similar to maven_install but that's a lot of work. I found it easier to just remain within the ecosystem and use Tycho (even for the Bazel Eclipse plug-in).

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gun...@wagenknecht.org, http://guw.io/