Rolling releases

Fredrik Medley

Apr 28, 2021, 3:51:09 PM4/28/21
to bazel-discuss
Apart from the long term support (LTS) release line (4.0.0 and 4.1.0rc4), are there any rolling releases available?

"Rolling releases are periodically cut from Bazel’s main branch. This release cadence involves a continuous delivery of preview releases of the next major Bazel version, which are in sync with Google’s internal Bazel releases."

I also found https://time.graphics/line/483369, showing Bazel 5.0.0-pre.20210318.

Tobias Werth

Apr 29, 2021, 5:46:49 AM4/29/21
to Fredrik Medley, Florian Weikert, Philipp Wollermann, bazel-discuss

Fredrik Medley

May 21, 2021, 10:03:51 AM5/21/21
to bazel-discuss
Friendly ping about rolling releases.

Philipp Wollermann

May 21, 2021, 2:53:24 PM5/21/21
to Fredrik Medley, bazel-discuss
Hi Fredrik,

I wanted to get the first rolling release out today, but figured I'll do the Bazel 4.1.0 release first, as it was already pending for so long.

Please follow this issue for progress: https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/issues/13505. We should be ready any day now.

Cheers,
Philipp

--
Philipp Wollermann | Software Engineer | phi...@google.com
Google Germany GmbH | Erika-Mann-Straße 33 | 80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Florian Weikert

Jun 17, 2021, 7:56:20 AM6/17/21
to bazel-discuss
Hi Fredrik,

We've now started to publish rolling releases. The current one can be found at https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/releases/tag/5.0.0-pre.20210604.6
You can find more details in the announcement: https://groups.google.com/g/bazel-discuss/c/U1UiYxSn5_8

Cheers,
Florian

Fredrik Medley

Jun 17, 2021, 10:20:22 AM6/17/21
to bazel-discuss
Hi Florian and Philipp,

Thank you for the rolling releases that are tested on Bazel’s test suite on Bazel CI and Google’s internal test suite. Just of curiosity, what does the last number represent, i.e. ".6" in "5.0.0-pre.20210604.6"?

Best regards,
Fredrik

Tobias Werth

Jun 22, 2021, 4:57:48 AM6/22/21
to Fredrik Medley, Florian Weikert, bazel-discuss

Philipp Wollermann

Jun 22, 2021, 1:36:17 PM6/22/21
to Tobias Werth, Fredrik Medley, Florian Weikert, bazel-discuss
Hi Fredrik,

Florian can probably explain this better, but AFAIK this is the internal patch-level of the Google Blaze release. When we cut a new Blaze release candidate for Google, we run a huge test suite and occasionally identify breakages that might require a cherry-pick. Those would then cause the patch-level of the RC to get bumped. For example, for 5.0.0-pre.20210604.6 we started with just the baseline, then over time found out that we needed four cherry-picks (only two were relevant and part of Bazel) and had to recreate one release candidate due to maybe an infrastructure flake or something similar. Thus we ended up at .6 :)

When we then create the Bazel rolling release, we just use the literal version number from Blaze for Bazel, too, so that it's easy to automate and will not cause naming conflicts.

Cheers,
Philipp

Fredrik Medley

Jun 23, 2021, 5:20:08 PM6/23/21
to bazel-discuss
Sound like a good naming pattern. Then we can feel confident in the test coverage of the rolling releases.

Once again, thank you for delivering the rolling releases.

Best regards,
Fredrik

Daniel Halperin

Jul 28, 2021, 3:19:13 PM7/28/21
to bazel-discuss
For anyone else who was looking for them under GitHub Releases, they are here instead: https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Thanks to the team for doing this -- I know how much of a pain release notes are, and it's a great resource!

Dan

Tobias Werth

Jul 29, 2021, 4:48:57 AM7/29/21
to Daniel Halperin, Florian Weikert, bazel-discuss