-c dbg vs --config debug

Barry Revzin

Jun 20, 2022, 12:00:26 PM6/20/22
to bazel-discuss
Bazel appears to have two different mechanisms for specifying a build configuration.

I can do "-c dbg" or I can do "--config debug". With "--config debug", I can add things like "build

The latter lets me add specific command-line flags to my .bazelrc, like build:debug --copt=-g or build:release --copt=-O3. But it doesn't appear that the former lets me do this? Is there a way to specify default compilation mode flags, or is the only way to do this via custom configurations?

Barry

Keith Smiley

Jun 20, 2022, 12:44:03 PM6/20/22
to Barry Revzin, bazel-discuss
If you want to configure things without configs you'll have to use your own crosstool, or macros, and add conditionals with select statements based on the current compilation_mode.

Keith Smiley

Barry Revzin

Jun 20, 2022, 5:37:57 PM6/20/22
to Keith Smiley, bazel-discuss
Is there a way to have -c dbg just behave like --config debug and -c opt just behave like --config release? I don't see anything like that in the documentation, and I'm not sure how to use select() to specify flags globally.

To be clear, it's not that I want to configure things without configs, it's that it's a bit confusing that -c dbg and --config debug seem to be mostly unrelated commands and I'd like to able to avoid surprise from the two similar-looking commands having different meanings.

Keith Smiley

Jul 5, 2022, 5:22:28 PM7/5/22
to Barry Revzin, bazel-discuss
Yea I think the confusion here is that it can be initially surprising that `-c` is short for `--compilation_mode` and not `--config`. But they are entirely unrelated, so unless you do what I mention and use select statements based on the compilation_mode you likely have to use configs
--
Keith Smiley