How to set a copt that points to a file? Or, how to get a non-CC source into the sandbox during cc compilation

Gary Miguel

Jun 23, 2023, 6:48:31 PM6/23/23
to bazel-discuss
I have a cc_library.
I want to set "-fsanitize-ignorelist" to point to a file in my repo.
E.g., I have:
foo.cc
BUILD.bazel
ignorelist.txt

and in BUILD.bazel:
cc_library(
  name = "foo",
  copts = ["-fsanitize-ignorelist=" <TODO what goes here?>],
  srcs = ["foo.cpp"],
)

I've tried setting ignorelist.txt as a data dependency, and then referring to it with
$(location), but that doesn't work. I get:
clang: error: no such file or directory: 'bazel-out/k8-fastbuild/ignorelist.txt'

Filip Filmar

Jun 23, 2023, 7:00:10 PM6/23/23
to Gary Miguel, bazel-discuss
I recently used a dirty trick to achieve something similar. In case you want to be on your way quickly.

I suspect the issue is that a `data` dependency is not available in the sandbox used for compilation. You can verify if you run your compilation with local sandbox strategy - if it passes, then that's probably it.

What I did was to rename the file such that its name ends with ".h". It can then be used in the `hdrs`, and $location will work, and it will be available during compilation.

Filip Filmar

Jun 23, 2023, 7:01:59 PM6/23/23
On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 3:59 PM Filip Filmar <fil...@gmail.com> wrote:
I suspect the issue is that a `data` dependency is not available in the sandbox used for compilation.

"Files needed by this rule at runtime. "  --- so indeed, `data` is not available in the sandbox at compile time.

Gary Miguel

Jun 23, 2023, 9:11:18 PM6/23/23
to bazel-discuss
Thanks that works!