Any post-mortem on why the AOSP transition to Bazel was cancelled?

Gergely Kis

Jun 28, 2024, 5:46:24 PMJun 28
to bazel-discuss
Dear Bazel Community,

After a few years of not working on AOSP based projects, I wanted to try out the new Bazel build, which (according to my predictions) should have been in a usable state by now.

So I was very surprised when I saw the short message on source.android.com that the Bazel build transition was cancelled.

I have seen at least some of the AOSP team members post on this list, so I was hoping to learn more about why the transition was stopped.

Were there technical issues with Bazel that made it a bad fit for AOSP?

Or were there some other not necessarily technical challenges (e.g. the Bazel based build could not offer enough advantages for the developers over the current Soong + Kati + Ninja based setup)?

Can we expect a post-mortem talk at BazelCon 2024?

Thank you for any information that you can share.

Kind regards,
Gergely

Edbert Chan

Jun 28, 2024, 7:03:23 PMJun 28
to bazel-discuss
It looks like banners around source.android.com say now that the migration is halted, not canceled.

But I do recall before that the banner did say that the project was cancelled.

My guess is lack of funding.
Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 4.02.01 PM.png