proposal: More accurate cquery

115 views
Skip to first unread message

Greg Estren

unread,
Mar 17, 2023, 5:12:03 PM3/17/23
to bazel-dev, John Cater, Lukács T. Berki, Eric Haugh, Joe Le-Ba
Hi all.

Please see More accurate cquery: a proposal to make cquery output more clear and accurate by better handling aspects and toolchains.

Cheers,
Greg

Lukács T. Berki

unread,
Mar 20, 2023, 6:15:11 AM3/20/23
to Greg Estren, bazel-dev, John Cater, Eric Haugh, Joe Le-Ba
On the surface, it seems reasonable. I have asked some questions on the doc that may result in significant changes, but not in a ground-up redesign.

The main question in my mind is when to do this. Looking at the OKR drafts, it looks like the Configurability team will have a busy quarter and I'd much rather get fewer tasks done than more tasks half-done.
--
Lukács T. Berki | Software Engineer | lbe...@google.com | 

Google Germany GmbH | Erika-Mann-Str. 33  | 80636 München | Germany | Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado | Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891

Greg Estren

unread,
Mar 20, 2023, 5:50:34 PM3/20/23
to Lukács T. Berki, bazel-dev, John Cater, Eric Haugh, Joe Le-Ba
Thanks Lukacs.

I'm interested in this as a side project when I need a break from prioritized work. It's been bugging people for a long time. It'd be nice to at least remove the current correctness problems, which is my primary motivation. And why I wouldn't want to get fancy with --output=build support and other extras: leave those to their own efforts and at least lift us up from the status quo (and extra support load from diagnosing bad queries).


Lukács T. Berki

unread,
Mar 21, 2023, 4:25:19 AM3/21/23
to Greg Estren, bazel-dev, John Cater, Eric Haugh, Joe Le-Ba
On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 10:50 PM Greg Estren <gre...@google.com> wrote:
Thanks Lukacs.

I'm interested in this as a side project when I need a break from prioritized work. It's been bugging people for a long time. It'd be nice to at least remove the current correctness problems, which is my primary motivation. And why I wouldn't want to get fancy with --output=build support and other extras: leave those to their own efforts and at least lift us up from the status quo (and extra support load from diagnosing bad queries).
Yeah, that makes total sense, a low-priority personal sanity enhancer project is very useful :) 




On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 6:15 AM Lukács T. Berki <lbe...@google.com> wrote:
On the surface, it seems reasonable. I have asked some questions on the doc that may result in significant changes, but not in a ground-up redesign.

The main question in my mind is when to do this. Looking at the OKR drafts, it looks like the Configurability team will have a busy quarter and I'd much rather get fewer tasks done than more tasks half-done.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 10:11 PM Greg Estren <gre...@google.com> wrote:
Hi all.

Please see More accurate cquery: a proposal to make cquery output more clear and accurate by better handling aspects and toolchains.

Cheers,
Greg


--
Lukács T. Berki | Software Engineer | lbe...@google.com | 

Google Germany GmbH | Erika-Mann-Str. 33  | 80636 München | Germany | Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado | Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages