proposal: More accurate cquery

Greg Estren

Mar 17, 2023, 5:12:03 PM3/17/23
to bazel-dev, John Cater, Lukács T. Berki, Eric Haugh, Joe Le-Ba
Hi all.

Please see More accurate cquery: a proposal to make cquery output more clear and accurate by better handling aspects and toolchains.

Cheers,
Greg

Lukács T. Berki

Mar 20, 2023, 6:15:11 AM3/20/23
to Greg Estren, bazel-dev, John Cater, Eric Haugh, Joe Le-Ba
On the surface, it seems reasonable. I have asked some questions on the doc that may result in significant changes, but not in a ground-up redesign.

The main question in my mind is when to do this. Looking at the OKR drafts, it looks like the Configurability team will have a busy quarter and I'd much rather get fewer tasks done than more tasks half-done.
--
Lukács T. Berki | Software Engineer | lbe...@google.com |

Google Germany GmbH | Erika-Mann-Str. 33  | 80636 München | Germany | Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado | Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891

Greg Estren

Mar 20, 2023, 5:50:34 PM3/20/23
to Lukács T. Berki, bazel-dev, John Cater, Eric Haugh, Joe Le-Ba
Thanks Lukacs.

I'm interested in this as a side project when I need a break from prioritized work. It's been bugging people for a long time. It'd be nice to at least remove the current correctness problems, which is my primary motivation. And why I wouldn't want to get fancy with --output=build support and other extras: leave those to their own efforts and at least lift us up from the status quo (and extra support load from diagnosing bad queries).

Lukács T. Berki

Mar 21, 2023, 4:25:19 AM3/21/23
On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 10:50 PM Greg Estren <gre...@google.com> wrote:
Thanks Lukacs.

I'm interested in this as a side project when I need a break from prioritized work. It's been bugging people for a long time. It'd be nice to at least remove the current correctness problems, which is my primary motivation. And why I wouldn't want to get fancy with --output=build support and other extras: leave those to their own efforts and at least lift us up from the status quo (and extra support load from diagnosing bad queries).
Yeah, that makes total sense, a low-priority personal sanity enhancer project is very useful :)