Non-Google repositories in the bazelbuild Github organisation

Alexander Scott

Jun 23, 2022, 12:34:31 PM6/23/22
to bazel-dev

Hi there,

I belong to one of the build & CI teams at the BMW Group where we make heavy use of Bazel. Over the past years, we have internally developed many Bazel related tools, rules and scripts which we rely on for our day-to-day operations. We believe others can also make good use of them and we want to give something back to the Bazel community. However, we are unsure about the best way to reach the most people, mainly regarding where to publish the code. One option is one of the many public BMW Github organisations out there. Another option we thought of would be the bazelbuild Github organisation, leading me to reach out with this message.

I can see in the bazelbuild Github organisation that there are some repositories which are listed as not official Google products. Is it possible for new repositories that are not official Google products to be created in the bazelbuild Github organisation? And if so, what is the process for doing so (or is this process documented anywhere)?

Many thanks!

Alex

James Sharpe

Jun 23, 2022, 12:41:05 PM6/23/22
to Alexander Scott, bazel-dev
bazel-contrib is probably a better option at the moment than bazelbuild as I don't think google will allow non-google repos there.
See the requirements for hosting here: https://bazel-contrib.github.io/SIG-rules-authors/hosting-policy.html

James Sharpe | Software Architecture & Security | Zenotech
Papercut
Email:
james....@zenotech.com
Zenotech LTD - Simulation Unlimited
Web:
www.zenotech.com

Papercut
linkedin:Twitter:Location:

Company Registration No : 07926926 | VAT No : 128198591

Registered Office : 1 Larkfield Grove, Chepstow, Monmouthshire, NP16 5UF, UK

Address : Bristol & Bath Science Park, Dirac Cres, Emersons Green, Bristol BS16 7FR

Tony Aiuto

Jun 27, 2022, 6:48:59 PM6/27/22
to James Sharpe, Sven Tiffe, Alexander Scott, bazel-dev

bazel-contrib is the better option than bazelbuild. While we do have some non-Google owned repositories in bazelbuild, we are trying to not add more at this time.

Helen Altshuler

Jul 7, 2022, 3:01:20 PM7/7/22
to James Sharpe, Alexander Scott, bazel-dev
Yes, bazel-contrib would be a good place for it. We've been gathering community tools and rules there:  https://github.com/orgs/bazel-contrib/repositories