Obtaining a distribution over possible minima of a function

Ruta Desai

Jun 9, 2017, 5:21:46 PM6/9/17
to BayesOpt discussion
Hi there,

Thank you for the library and the support. I am trying to use this library for optimization of a high-dimensional continuous function in one of my research projects. I would also like to get an approximate idea of distribution of minima of this function (that I am trying to optimize), after every step of bayesian optimization. Based on this paper: https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/people/nando.defreitas/publications/BayesOptLoop.pdf (page 12), I thought I could use thompson sampling as acquisition function and since it models the posterior distribution over the unknown minimizer x*, if I sample it n times and average these samples, I will have an empirical estimate (mean) of the possible minima. How can I sample acquisition function (after setting criteria to be thompson sampling?)

Thank you very much for your help!
Ruta

Ruta Desai

Jun 9, 2017, 6:31:38 PM6/9/17
to BayesOpt discussion
I meant sample the posterior model. I don't see a sample function for the posterior.

Thanks.

Ruben Martinez-Cantin

Jun 30, 2017, 10:50:32 AM6/30/17
to BayesOpt discussion
Hi Ruta,

The Thompson sampling criteria in the library is not a proper Thompson
sampling. In BayesOpt the samples for each x are generated
independently, while in the literature, they are assumed to be
correlated.

You can find many tutorials on how to generate sample functions from a
GP, for example in the tutorial of the GPML. If you make the code,
I'll be happy to integrate a proper Thompson sampling in BayesOpt.

Best,

Ruben