Lost all MagicWords - What to Do?

Noa

Sep 11, 2015, 2:06:40 PM9/11/15
to Bayden
My laptop had to shut down, and when it restarted, the SlickRun library was empty - no MagicWord but "shutdown". What can I do to recover the missing words? I couldn't find an answer.

I've got SR version 4.2.5.3 (x64).

Thanks!

EricLaw

Nov 11, 2015, 1:46:31 PM11/11/15
to Bayden
I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your data!

Unfortunately, I’m not aware of any cause of this issue, short of harddisk corruption whereby the SlickRun MagicWord library file (%userprofile%\appdata\roaming\slickrun\SlickRun.srl) is corrupted or deleted by hardware failure. Currently, that library is only backed up when you upgrade (see the Backup subfolder).

Is there any chance you have any “interesting” software installed (e.g. 3rd party security software, or any software like OneDrive or DropBox that attempts to roam or backup your files to the cloud)?

I would recommend using the Windows “Scan for Errors” tool:

You might also consider creating a batch file to periodically backup your SlickRun library file somewhere (e.g. copy it to a dropbox or onedrive sync’d folder, for instance).

I’d also suggest upgrading to the very latest version of SlickRun (v4.3.1) from https://bayden.com/slickrun/ just to ensure that you’re on the latest.

all the best,

-Eric

pegasus

Dec 28, 2018, 7:15:55 PM12/28/18
to Bayden
Where is the SlickRun Library kept, in case I want to back it up?

EricLaw

Dec 29, 2018, 12:26:47 AM12/29/18
to Bayden
https://www.bayden.com/slickrun/1033/SlickRunAdvancedHelp.htm

By default, SlickRun loads and stores its settings in %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\SlickRun on Vista or later.