WRITERS’ ROOM WORKSHOP: READINGS & CRITIQUES OF SCRIPTS - Aug. 18

Jamie Greenblatt

Jul 16, 2024, 11:55:27 AM (11 days ago) Jul 16
to bayareath...@googlegroups.com

WRITERS’ ROOM WORKSHOP: READINGS & CRITIQUES OF SCRIPTS

An online Play Café workshop with writer-producer Rick Toscan, August 18, 12:30PM – 2:30PM Pacific Time. https://www.playcafe.org/workshops

WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION

Play Café’s Writers’ Room Workshop offers you the chance to hear and develop the first three pages of your script in a reading by professional performers. With contemporary streaming audiences bailing out of shows that fail to grab them in the first few minutes and professional script readers making decisions to pass or continue reading after only a few pages, we know those opening pages are critical for engaging audiences and decision makers. And we nearly always see editing issues undermining those first pages repeated throughout a script. Rick will compare your submitted script to a draft incorporating his suggested edits. The revised draft will then be read by our performers. Critiques of these opening pages will offer a practical guide for editing the full script. The Workshop is open to all levels of experience whether you’re coming from theatre, film and television, audio drama, or are just curious about the techniques of dramatic writing. The markup and edited drafts will be returned to you following the Workshop.

AUDITORS

Auditors are welcome to participate in the Workshop if you don’t want to submit a script but are interested in the critique process. Critiques will offer editing suggestions that auditors can apply to their own writing.

REGISTRATION and DETAILS, including INSTRUCTOR’S BIO  https://www.playcafe.org/workshops

Choose your level of registration, either as a WRITER or AUDITOR. The fee to participate as a WRITER is $32 for Play Cafe members and $40 for non-members. Register early! Only the first 10 scripts submitted will be read and critiqued. After registering you will be sent SCRIPT EXCERPT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES. Scripts will be due no later than July 28, 2024. Scripts must be limited to two characters or three, if that one is a bit part, as only two actors will be reading. Write to prog...@playcafe.org to request the Play Café member discount.