AID Bay Area Open 2012 - RESULTS

Bay Area Carrom Club

Aug 13, 2012, 10:03:54 AM8/13/12
to vamshib...@gmail.com, state...@gmail.com, nit...@yahoo.com, nna...@gmail.com, bal...@gmail.com, padman...@gmail.com, rav...@hotmail.com, vad...@gmail.com, mand...@yahoo.com, chandu_d...@yahoo.co.in, mohanb...@gmail.com, bhi...@gmail.com, suraj.n...@gmail.com, cdo...@yahoo.com, arvi...@yahoo.com, sri...@gmail.com, srika...@yahoo.com, datta...@gmail.com, alexande...@gmail.com, ana...@gmail.com, kesha...@gmail.com, aya...@gmail.com, shar...@gmail.com, mugi...@gmail.com, dasa...@gmail.com, srikant...@gmail.com, bayare...@googlegroups.com
RESULTS

Singles (Amateur):
    Champion: Sandesh
    Runner Up: Arun Girish

Doubles Open:
    Champions: Bala Parthasarathy & Paddu Ramaswamy
    Runners up: Mani Chandrasekar & Nitin Navare

Singles Open:
    Champion: Mani Chandrasekar
    Runner Up: Bala Parthasarathy

Congrats to all the winners! Details and photos will be posted soon. Thanks to all who helped make this event a success!

- Organizers

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Bay Area Carrom Club <bayareac...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello everyone,
This is a friendly reminder that the AID Bay Area Carrom Tournament 2012 is tomorrow & day after at Madura Indian Restaurant in Sunnyvale. Here are some basic FYIs -

SCHEDULE:
Doubles Open:      Saturday 9AM - 4PM (doors open at 8am for practice)
Singles (Amateur): Saturday 5PM - 8PM (a few boards will be available for practice starting 3pm)
Singles Open:       Sunday 9AM - 4PM (doors open at 8am for practice)

A note on punctuality:
For all events, you must be at the venue at least 30 minutes before the scheduled start time, as we will announce tournament format, rules, etc. Late comers will be turned away. Players must be present at the scheduled start of each match or their opponents will receive a walk over.

Walk In Entries:
Walk ins will be accommodated on a first come first serve basis.

BRING YOUR PERSONAL STRIKERS IF YOU HAVE ONE.

For all other details, visit the tournament website: http://sites.google.com/site/bayareacarrom/aid-bay-area-open-2012

Thanks,
Bala
Organizer

Bay Area Carrom Club

Aug 14, 2012, 2:52:36 PM8/14/12
to vamshib...@gmail.com, state...@gmail.com, nit...@yahoo.com, nna...@gmail.com, bal...@gmail.com, padman...@gmail.com, rav...@hotmail.com, vad...@gmail.com, mand...@yahoo.com, chandu_d...@yahoo.co.in, mohanb...@gmail.com, bhi...@gmail.com, suraj.n...@gmail.com, cdo...@yahoo.com, arvi...@yahoo.com, sri...@gmail.com, srika...@yahoo.com, datta...@gmail.com, alexande...@gmail.com, ana...@gmail.com, kesha...@gmail.com, aya...@gmail.com, shar...@gmail.com, mugi...@gmail.com, dasa...@gmail.com, srikant...@gmail.com, bayare...@googlegroups.com
Post on US Carrom -
===============

Hi all,

I am pleased to share the news that we (Bay Area Carrom Club) conducted yet another successful Bay Area Open Carrom Tournament this weekend. We had 3 events - Amateur Singles, Doubles Open and Singles Open. The event was conducted in partnership with AID (Association for India's Development).

We had 24 players in Amateur Singles, we created a new format combining poker and pauper (money game, black is 5 points, white is 10 and queen is 25, and you keep whatever you pocket). Players play 3 such rounds and your round scores are sticky, the top 4 players with the best cumulative score move on to the finals.

We had 12 teams in doubles open and 16 players in singles open, the format was to divide them into 4 groups. Each group plays a round robin within itself and the top 2 teams move on to quarter finals. All matches were played for 1 game of 8 boards.

RESULTS

Singles (Amateur) Champion: Sandesh
Singles (Amateur) Runner Up: Arun Girish

Doubles Open Champions: Bala Parthasarathy & Paddu Ramaswamy
Doubles Open Runners up: Mani Chandrasekar & Nitin Navare

Singles Open Champion: Mani Chandrasekar
Singles Open Runner Up: Bala Parthasarathy

Queen (Best women's player): Hema
Special Recognition: Partha Mandayam (for best out of town player, drove up all the way from San Diego to San Jose and lost to Mani in QF 8-7)

Other highlights:
1 white slam (by Bala Parthasarathy)
3 near white slams, missed the last coin (1 each by Mani Chandrasekar, Bala Parthasarathy and Srikanth Ananthamurthy)
7 coin finish in Amateur level (by Arun Girish)

The quality of play was pretty high for a local tournament. Mani Chandrasekar emerged as the player of the tournament with consistently excellent game throughout the weekend. This is his first tournament ever, not just in the US. Goes to prove that there are many good players out there who don't even realize they are good! A lot of players are interested to participate in national level tournaments, but are unable to travel out of town to do so. Hopefully that will change soon, when we can bring a national tourney to California. Until then, we will try to convince some of this new talent to debut in the national arena at NJ in September :-)

Regards,
Bala Parthasarathy