Cleaning contacts

Chris Fulmer

Mar 29, 2020, 6:51:46 PM3/29/20
to Bay Area RepRap
What methods does everyone use to clean connectors and contacts on semi old electronics? I have spray cleaner for electronics by CRC but I think it is corrosion not chemical.   Mechanically with a brass brush or something is probably great for the external parts but not inside connectors.  I also plan on using some Dielectric goo when I put it back together to prevent this in the future, unless there is a good reason not to.

Chris

Avery Nisbet

Mar 30, 2020, 3:37:22 PM3/30/20
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
I have had great luck with a product called deoxit.
https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/ it is very expensive. If I remember
something like $15 for a very small spray can. I once used it on the
turn signal switch on a 1971 Datsun 510 I sprayed it into the switch
and flipped left to right several times fast and sprayed again and
turn signals started working. I have used this stuff many times. I
would buy it again.

There is another product that I have not used yet but have herd good
things with electrical stuff usually automotive.
https://www.strikehold.com/collections/strikehold
I have a bottle of it but have yet to use it on anything. Amazon has it.

Both of these have protecting properties.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 6:51 PM Chris Fulmer <caf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What methods does everyone use to clean connectors and contacts on semi old electronics? I have spray cleaner for electronics by CRC but I think it is corrosion not chemical. Mechanically with a brass brush or something is probably great for the external parts but not inside connectors. I also plan on using some Dielectric goo when I put it back together to prevent this in the future, unless there is a good reason not to.
>
> Chris

Chris Fulmer

May 23, 2020, 8:38:06 PM5/23/20
to Bay Area RepRap
Thank you Avery.  I went with the deoxit because I have found there clock lube to be really good.  I did not end up getting the same type as you mentioned.  I did not realize how many products they sell. I got one that was available on amazon, and said it removed oxidation and protected.  My extruder stopped skipping steps, so now to chase other problems out as they show up.