Baudline in OpenSuSE 12.1 / KDE?

Gian Paolo Sanino

Apr 24, 2012, 11:00:32 AM4/24/12
to baud...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have used Baudline since OpenSuSE 7.2 and it has been recently harder to run it.
OpenSuSE 11.4 gave me some problems but with a simple rcalsasound reset it kept Baudline going fine. However, since 12.1 with Pulseaudio fully implemented, it has been a nightmare.

On the forum there is a post asking about the sense of porting Baudline to pulseaudio. That layer has been the main problem, while the alternative "Jack" option I could not make it work neither.

Pulseaudio is enabled by Yast/Sound by default. One option was to disable it. It did not worked. So, leave it enabled. Maybe by uninstalling pulseaudio all the way. But I wanted to find a better way (without changing the distro defaults) and finally I got it running.

To get Baudline working on a default OpenSuSE 12.1 / KDE installation, just use on the command as a user (not root):

aoss ./baudline

The only issue is that the mixer that has to be used to select the input source is not Kmix as in earlier versions, but pavucontrol (pulseaudio volume control has to be installed because it is not included by default).

I have found a lot of people with this problem in OpenSuSE and Ubuntu.
Hope this helps.
gps

David Sorkin

Apr 26, 2012, 6:47:03 AM4/26/12
to baudline
I am using Baudline with Pulseaudio on Debian 6.0.4 Squeeze. I have it
working with this command line:

parec -d alsa_output.pci-0000_00_04.0.analog-stereo.monitor |\
./baudline -stdin -channels 2 \
-samplerate 88200 \
-record

It is working very well like this; both pulseaudio and Baudline use
remarkably little CPU so I leave it on all the time.

Regards,