Baudline_jack segfaults when I enable Signal Generator output

Jeff Clemens

May 2, 2012, 1:46:04 AM5/2/12
to baud...@googlegroups.com
This occurs almost all of the time.  somehow, earlier today, i had the signal generator working perfectly, but then it stopped, and reverted back to segfaulting.

I'm running Fedora 16 with KDE on a Dell Inspiron E1505.  I'm testing with the internal  sound card.
lspci shows:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
as my sound card.

I'm not sure if this is just a problem with my sound card driver, or with something else.

Any ideas?  Anything else I should check?

Thanks,

Jeff

Sig Blip

May 3, 2012, 1:03:56 PM5/3/12
to baudline
This may be an issue with JACK fragment (period) sizes. Which size are
you using?

What version of JACK are you running? (jackd -v)

Jeff Clemens

May 7, 2012, 8:07:36 PM5/7/12
to baudline
Jack version 1.9.8

Frames per period: 1024
Periods per buffer: 3

Totof

Jul 1, 2012, 7:01:29 PM7/1/12
to baud...@googlegroups.com
Hi all
I use Baudline on my laptop for a while now but with a recent update, i have the same problem than Jeff

My conf. is Acer 7739G with ubuntu 12.04 64bits and baudline 64bits
My soundcard is a DIY project with PCM2904 and USB
I use untill now Qjackctl and Jackd without any problem
but now when i start baudline_jack everything is ok (input and output device connected
trough jackd server)
until i start the tone generator, when jackd fall down and disconnect the server

here the messagebox with just the input and output device

00:53:18.567 Baie de brassage désactivée.

00:53:18.570 Réinitialisation des statistiques.

00:53:18.575 Changement des connexions ALSA.

00:53:18.585 Script de démarrage...

00:53:18.586 artsshell -q terminate

Cannot connect to server socket err = Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

Cannot connect to server socket

jack server is not running or cannot be started

Cannot connect to server socket err = Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

Cannot connect to server socket

jack server is not running or cannot be started

00:53:18.592 Changement du graphique des connexions ALSA.

sh: 1: artsshell: not found

00:53:19.027 Script de démarrage terminé avec statut de sortie=32512.

00:53:19.027 JACK démarre...

00:53:19.028 /usr/bin/jackd -m -dalsa -r44100 -p1024 -n3 -D -Chw:1,0 -Phw:1,0

00:53:19.036 JACK a été démarrer avec le PID=6623.

jackdmp 1.9.8

Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.

Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.

jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10

control device hw:1

control device hw:1

audio_reservation_init

Acquire audio card Audio1

creating alsa driver ... hw:1,0|hw:1,0|1024|3|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit

control device hw:1

configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 3 periods

ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian

ALSA: use 3 periods for capture

ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian

ALSA: use 3 periods for playback

00:53:21.280 Changement des connexions JACK.

00:53:21.281 Configuration du serveur enregistrée dans « /home/dedessus/.jackdrc ».

00:53:21.281 Réinitialisation des statistiques.

00:53:21.293 Client activé.

00:53:21.322 Changement du graphique des connexions JACK.

00:54:11.589 Changement du graphique des connexions JACK.

00:54:11.749 Changement des connexions JACK.

00:54:12.445 Récupération désynchronisation (XRUN) (1).

JackEngine::XRun: client = baudline was not run: state = 1

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

00:54:16.889 Changement du graphique des connexions JACK.

00:54:16.954 Changement des connexions JACK.

00:54:17.277 Changement du graphique des connexions JACK.

00:54:17.357 Changement des connexions JACK.

And now when i start the tone generator

00:57:12.586 Récupération désynchronisation (XRUN) (2).

JackEngine::XRun: client = baudline was not run: state = 2

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

JackEngine::XRun: client = baudline was not run: state = 1

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

JackEngine::XRun: client = baudline was not run: state = 1

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

00:57:12.698 Changement du graphique des connexions JACK.

00:57:12.845 Changement des connexions JACK.

00:57:12.848 Récupération de désynchronisation (XRUN) (2 sauté).

I think it's the same problem

Any idea or solution to resolve this problem

thanks for your answer

Totof

Totof

Jul 5, 2012, 7:43:57 AM7/5/12
to baud...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

Finally a found a little solution

I start Baudline_jack
after i start Qjackctl , when the program is runing
and jack is on, i click on the buton "connecter",

After that i run the tone generator and everytrhing is allright
Why this way is functionnal, i can't tell, but now i can use
the tone generator

Best regards

Remco Stoutjesdijk

Mar 13, 2014, 5:06:16 PM3/13/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
I cannot get the sig_gen to work. Running on Archlinux using an M-audio delta 1010

when I use another program to output a signal (e.g. jaaa) baudline is displaying the signal just fine, so jack and all the patching are working OK.

Unfortunately I can't really do very much with the limited error output...

baudline

Mar 13, 2014, 5:39:15 PM3/13/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
What does "limited error output" mean?  I don't understand.

Remco Stoutjesdijk

Mar 13, 2014, 5:46:07 PM3/13/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
I mean that I don't really know what to debug or change when all I see is this after I enable the signal generator

[remco@ultranalyzer ~]$ baudline_jack&
[5] 1720
[remco@ultranalyzer ~]$
[5]+  Segmentation fault      (core dumped) baudline_jack

Jack outputs a little more but it's not giving me any pointers

Creating alsa driver ... hw:M1010|hw:M1010|2048|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit

configuring for 48000Hz, period = 2048 frames (42.7 ms), buffer = 2 periods

ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian

ALSA: use 2 periods for capture

ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian

ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

23:40:02.982 JACK connection change.

23:40:03.035 Server configuration saved to "/home/remco/.jackdrc".

23:40:03.037 Statistics reset.

23:40:03.129 Client activated.

23:40:03.201 JACK connection graph change.

23:40:37.754 JACK connection graph change.

JackEngine::XRun: client = baudline was not finished, state = Running

23:40:38.251 JACK connection graph change.

23:40:38.260 XRUN callback (1).

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

23:40:38.283 JACK connection change.

23:40:40.100 JACK connection graph change.

23:40:46.334 JACK connection graph change.

23:40:46.542 JACK connection graph change.

23:40:46.818 JACK connection change.

23:40:47.520 JACK connection graph change.

23:40:47.544 JACK connection change.

23:40:49.533 JACK connection graph change.

23:40:49.536 XRUN callback (2).

JackEngine::XRun: client = baudline was not finished, state = Running

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

23:40:49.717 JACK connection change.

23:40:50.851 XRUN callback (3).

JackEngine::XRun: client = baudline was not finished, state = Running

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

JackEngine::XRun: client = baudline was not finished, state = Triggered

[...]

23:40:53.236 XRUN callback (13).

23:40:53.259 JACK connection graph change.

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

JackEngine::XRun: client = baudline was not finished, state = Triggered

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

JackEngine::XRun: client = baudline was not finished, state = Triggered

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

JackEngine::XRun: client = baudline was not finished, state = Triggered

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

JackEngine::XRun: client = baudline was not finished, state = Triggered

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

JackEngine::XRun: client = baudline was not finished, state = Triggered

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

23:41:00.346 JACK connection change.

23:41:16.636 XRUN callback (21 skipped).

baudline

Mar 13, 2014, 6:02:07 PM3/13/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
What Linux kernel version and JACK version are you running?

uname -a
jackd -v

Remco Stoutjesdijk

Mar 13, 2014, 6:05:27 PM3/13/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
[remco@ultranalyzer ~]$ uname -a
Linux ultranalyzer 3.13.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 7 22:30:23 CET 2014 i686 GNU/Linux
[remco@ultranalyzer ~]$ jackd -V
jackdmp 1.9.9.5
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2012 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
jackdmp version 1.9.9.5 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 8

baudline

Mar 13, 2014, 6:38:38 PM3/13/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
I'm using jackd 0.124.1 that was released a month or so ago and it is running without any problems.

I need to look into JACK 2 which is a highly threaded fork of the still active JACK 1.  They say that JACK 2 is completely compatible with JACK 1.  That appears not to be the case.  My guess is the highly threadiness of JACK 2 is scrambling up the timing and causing problems.  I need to install JACK 2 and see if it is fixable.  For now I recommend using only JACK 1.

Note that jackd 0.124.1 is JACK 1 and jackdmp 1.9.9.5 is JACK 2.  They are two completely different code bases.

Remco Stoutjesdijk

Mar 13, 2014, 6:47:39 PM3/13/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. That is hugely helpful. I will see if I can have jack1 on this system. I built it as a dedicated analyser system and my tools of choice would be baudline and jaaa. Not sure if jaaa runs with jack1 or if I can have both side by side. I'll report back when I know more.

BTW, I would be happy to help where I can to improve baudline. It's a great tool but to a DSP audio engineer like me, there are always a few possible improvements :)

Remco Stoutjesdijk

Mar 13, 2014, 7:21:41 PM3/13/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
Meh. It's no better using jack 1 :(

[remco@ultranalyzer ~]$ jackd -V
jackd version 0.124.1 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 25

baudline

Mar 13, 2014, 8:20:03 PM3/13/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
That's bad news.  Now we are back to square one.  For reference my machine that is running jackd 0.124.1 is CentOS 6.5 which has the stock 2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64 kernel.

I have many Linux boxes and Linux VM's all with different versions that run JACK and baudline's Tone Generator just fine.  There must be something that is different.  I use qjackctl with the default parameters on most machines.  I rarely fiddle with the real-time, memory locking, and frames/period settings.  Could that be what is different?  Have you changed your stack size or any other kernel parameters?

Remco Stoutjesdijk

Mar 14, 2014, 3:40:04 PM3/14/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
I have to say I really appreciate the time you've taken to help track this down. Appreciate it!

Well, it is a bit of an unusual machine but nothing that triggered any risk in my mind.

The machine is a little via itx board with a 1 GHz VT8235M processor. It's got only 256 MB ram (I'm sure I could be bothered to spend 4 bucks buying a bigger module at some stage, but this is all I had in my junk box :) ). I am using a 4GB compactflash card as an HDD. This, apart from being very quiet, is also pretty slow. I could mount my file servers's HDD over the network and it might be faster actually.
The chipset is the 8235. I've disabled the internal sound card. The sound card is a PCI M-audio delta 1010 using the via 1712 chipset.

What else... I'm using the machine headless by logging in over ssh -X, although I do have LXDE on it and I tried to run baudline on a screen with the same results.

I was sort of assuming since baudline is 10 years old, it would be able to run on this admittedly not exactly bleeding edge hardware and so far I've not seen anything to indicate that it will not. There's just *something* that hiccups when I start the signal generator.

By the way, another thing I noticed is that when I enable decimation it also conks out. So far I've no real use for decimation since the noise floor from the delta 1010 is quite ok even without it.

Remco Stoutjesdijk

Mar 14, 2014, 5:13:39 PM3/14/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, I think I'm starting to track this down...

I just realised that I have another machine with an M-audio Delta 1010. That one is a proper DAW with a Core 2 Duo, 4GB and a fast HDD. And lo and behold, baudline on that machine crashes in exactly the same fashion.

So this points fairly strongly towards the M-audio / Via envy24 chipset. BTW, using the -brokentrigger option didn't help either.

baudline

Mar 20, 2014, 2:14:13 PM3/20/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
What operating system and JACK version is this other machine using?

Since you're using JACK, the specifics of your audio device is isolated from baudline.  The only things that are unique from baudline's point of view are what the # channels, # periods, and period size are.  Memory locking and real-time have more of an impact from an operating system point of view.  Note that the -brokentrigger option doesn't do anything with JACK.  Try different combinations of your JACK settings and see if it helps.

Remco Stoutjesdijk

Mar 20, 2014, 4:00:34 PM3/20/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The other system is an ubuntu 12.04 LTS box using jack2.

I took your advice on trying some settings, but the variations are quite limited.

Then I looked around for the process error messages jack1 was giving me and I found this

my user is in the audio group so I have realtime priviledge.

so on a whim I decided it might *not* be good to have the realtime priviledge and started jack without it

/usr/bin/jackd -r -t2000 -dalsa -dhw:M1010 -r48000 -p1024 -n5 -H

(note the -r for non-realtime run)

...AND IT WORKS!

:)

Thank you thank you thank you for all the help, and of course this great software. Now I'll go and use every nook and corner of it.

- Remco.

baudline

Mar 26, 2014, 9:59:29 PM3/26/14
to baud...@googlegroups.com
Good sleuthing!

I'm surprised that the real-time JACK option could cause a problem like that.  I thought it was just changing the kernel scheduler with something like sched_setscheduler(0, SCHED_RR, &p). This is what baudline's -realtime flag does.  Round Robin scheduling would change the task timing which has the potential to unearth bugs that are normally not exercised.  I don't run real-time in baudline or JACK that often because it requires root.  I will look into this.  Thanks for figuring it out.