Broken characters

Gloria Santos

May 9, 2006, 10:42:25 AM5/9/06
to battlem...@googlegroups.com
My character hates me for making her so miserable.  :-(

Timothy Collett

May 9, 2006, 10:51:44 AM5/9/06
On May 9, 2006, at 10:42 AM, Gloria Santos wrote:

> My character hates me for making her so miserable. :-(

Heh, my characters don't know I exist...but Alanna would probably get
pretty peeved at me if she did ;-)

If she's miserable, find someone for her to take that misery out on
(besides you). That's always fun RP.

Timothy Collett
Anaris Family

--

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Marc J.

May 9, 2006, 11:15:46 AM5/9/06
On 5/9/06, Timothy Collett wrote:
Heh, my characters don't know I exist...

That would be one *weird* religion if they did! :P

If she's miserable, find someone for her to take that misery out on
(besides you).  That's always fun RP.

Or you could have her find someone equally miserable... misery loves company, and all that. ;)

--
Marc J.

Gloria Santos

May 9, 2006, 12:04:24 PM5/9/06
to battlem...@googlegroups.com

but... but...
she loves Fuinur.

(and the other miserable one already sleeps with Sleanra... you can't get more miserable than that.)

Marc J.

May 9, 2006, 12:27:36 PM5/9/06
to battlem...@googlegroups.com
On 5/9/06, Gloria Santos wrote:
but... but...
she loves Fuinur.

Ah, that one!

Well... perhaps you could turn her into a woman scorned! She did, after all, leave that realm...

--
Marc J.

Gloria Santos

May 9, 2006, 1:52:47 PM5/9/06
to battlem...@googlegroups.com
On 5/9/06, Marc J. <polyt...@gmail.com> wrote:

No one in Light of Fountain roleplays at all.  They are all strategy players.  :'(
I cannot turn her into anything if the other players don't help.

Marc J.

May 9, 2006, 1:55:59 PM5/9/06
On 5/9/06, Gloria Santos wrote:
No one in Light of Fountain roleplays at all.  They are all strategy players.  :'(
I cannot turn her into anything if the other players don't help.

Ah, I think you're jumping the gun! They roleplay... sometimes.

Tell you what, start a roleplay and see what happens. True, not everyone will join in, but at lest you can say that you tried.

--
Marc J.

The Nosferatus Family

May 10, 2006, 6:12:27 AM5/10/06
to BattleMaster Social Discussion
LoF sucks big ass ^^
There temple rps are so lame...

Gloria Santos

May 10, 2006, 7:48:49 AM5/10/06
to battlem...@googlegroups.com
On 5/10/06, The Nosferatus Family <stefano...@gmail.com> wrote:

LoF sucks big ass ^^
There temple rps are so lame...

hear hear.

Marc J.

May 10, 2006, 10:17:50 AM5/10/06
to battlem...@googlegroups.com
On 5/10/06, The Nosferatus Family wrote:
LoF sucks big ass ^^
There temple rps are so lame...

Tisk, tisk... so judgemental! ;)

Give them a few more months to find their groove... remember, they came from Fontan where calling Oligarchians, Orcs is considered "intense RPing"!

--
Marc J.

Gloria Santos

May 10, 2006, 12:26:30 PM5/10/06
to battlem...@googlegroups.com

It's people who left Fontan because Fontan sucked... so I don't want to imagine how lame Fontan was.
I mean, I left Rancagua because they had absolutely no RP nor any strategy nor any living players at all.  :P

The Nosferatus Family

May 11, 2006, 4:31:43 AM5/11/06
to BattleMaster Social Discussion
LoF could make an intresting turn in diplomacy around the continent.
I hope they take there chance...

LilWolf

May 11, 2006, 4:36:41 AM5/11/06

Gloria Santos wrote:

> (and the other miserable one already sleeps with Sleanra... you can't get more
> miserable than that.)

Hey, that hurt! :(

Gloria Santos

May 11, 2006, 9:11:56 AM5/11/06
to battlem...@googlegroups.com
Why?

LilWolf

May 12, 2006, 5:32:46 AM5/12/06
to BattleMaster Social Discussion
Because it makes it sound like Sleanra's a miserable character and is
adding to the misery of your character.

Really, if you, as a player, don't find it enjoyable to RP what your
character is doing, then don't do it. Find a way out and do something
you really want with the character.

I'm already feeling a bit like I forced you and Elaine into the whole
situation and now you're sort of saying you didn't want that and want
out. I don't want a RP I started to result in less fun for those
involved and I certainly don't want the result to be something that
would make you not want to login and see what has happened with your
character.

Eavan Trader

May 14, 2006, 10:36:20 PM5/14/06
to BattleMaster Social Discussion

> Really, if you, as a player, don't find it enjoyable to RP what your
> character is doing, then don't do it. Find a way out and do something
> you really want with the character.

I don't presume to speak for Gloria, but it is perfectly possible for
one's characters to be miserable while one is not miserable oneself. I
call this the fine art of character-torture. It can be a LOT of fun!

Gloria Santos

May 14, 2006, 11:23:58 PM5/14/06
to battlem...@googlegroups.com

Believe me, LilWolf knows how to torture his own character.   I think I care more about Sleanra than he does.  Well, at least Elaine has done something good for her...

Marc J.

May 15, 2006, 9:37:01 AM5/15/06
On 5/14/06, Eavan Trader wrote:
I call this the fine art of character-torture.  It can be a LOT of fun!

Heh, isn't this the whole point of having a Hero? Torture them by making them fight battle after battle with the only point being so they can die and free up a character slot...

;)

--
Marc J.

Timothy Collett

May 15, 2006, 9:44:19 AM5/15/06
to battlem...@googlegroups.com

Oh, my Hero has been one for two years now...I expected her to die in
the siege of Ikalak City on the SWI...only then there was no siege,
and she joined Taselak, instead, at her own Judge's request...

But the Fine Art of Character-Torture is something slightly
different. It has at its center the following question:

"What's the *worst possible* thing I can do to this character, and
still maintain the overall story integrity?"

I know for certain that one author uses this as a central way of
developing her plots (see sig), and I strongly suspect that a few
others, both in print and TV, do as well. Some of them even manage
to find plausible ways to actually kill off the character (the *main*
character) and still maintain the overall story integrity...(you just
need a way to bring him or her back).

If you can divorce your own psyche from your character's enough that
it doesn't make *you* as miserable as you make *her* (or him), it can
be a remarkably effective way to drive RP.

Marc J.

May 15, 2006, 10:15:13 AM5/15/06
On 5/15/06, Timothy Collett wrote:
But the Fine Art of Character-Torture is something slightly
different.  It has at its center the following question:

"What's the *worst possible* thing I can do to this character, and
still maintain the overall story integrity?"

This is an interesting idea... although, I have to say that it could get depressing to play a character that is either failing all the time or is having all the people he cares about be killed around them...eh, but what do I know? I have a chair loving manic as a character! (Bet ya can't figure out where I got that idea, can ya Tim! :P )

Some of them even manage to find plausible ways to actually kill off the character (the *main* character) and still maintain the overall story integrity...(you just
need a way to bring him or her back).

I've done that before... but not for the "good" reasons you wrote - I brought one of my characters back because I couldn't come up with a good name for a new character! Although... I think I've found a way to RP it as "adding to the story"... an executed infil makes a nice sophisticated aristocrat, in a weird sort of way.

If you can divorce your own psyche from your character's enough that
it doesn't make *you* as miserable as you make *her* (or him), it can
be a remarkably effective way to drive RP.

I don't know if that's possible - at least completely, but it does give me an idea:

How many of you identify with your characters at all? How many of you made characters that are your polar opposite?

--
Marc J.

Gloria Santos

May 15, 2006, 10:59:56 AM5/15/06
to battlem...@googlegroups.com
And I brought Ragnell back because she refused to die...

Eavan Trader

May 16, 2006, 10:05:26 PM5/16/06
to BattleMaster Social Discussion
>> it doesn't make *you* as miserable as you make *her* (or him), it can
>> be a remarkably effective way to drive RP.

>I don't know if that's possible - at least completely

I find that most of the time, I can be fine, but when I get into the
character (writing about him, say, or reading something the person I
write with wrote about her), it sometimes leads to problems. For
example, when one of my characters gets *really* stressed, he has a
tendency of driving his fingernails through his palms. But it's my
hands that end up hurting. :-(

...and we're not going to get into the issue about me talking to
(/yelling at) my characters...