Is this Tumeric

TheBTBTraveler

Aug 24, 2019, 1:37:17 AM8/24/19
to Battambang Connect

I bought this at the market. I have no idea what is it. Is this Tumeric? Looks like a ginger but is much harder and is darker. Has a distinct smell when you cut it. And what is Khmer Name? Thanks

Raw.jpg   Raw_2.jpg  No Skin.jpg  No Skin2.jpg

Plastic 2.jpg

Chenda Choeun

Aug 24, 2019, 2:19:27 AM8/24/19
to TheBTBTraveler, Battambang Connect
ពន្លៃ ponley... Khmer women use it as body scrub and other skin care routines and treatments...,  we don’t eat it.

This message was sent via the Battambang Connect group.

TheBTBTraveler

Aug 24, 2019, 3:12:39 AM8/24/19
to Battambang Connect
Thanks. Do you know the English name of it?

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 12:37 PM TheBTBTraveler <philg...@gmail.com> wrote:

I bought this at the market. I have no idea what is it. Is this Tumeric? Looks like a ginger but is much harder and is darker. Has a distinct smell when you cut it. And what is Khmer Name? Thanks

Raw.jpg   Raw_2.jpg  No Skin.jpg  No Skin2.jpg

Plastic 2.jpg

This message was sent via the Battambang Connect group.

Visit us on the web at http://groups.google.com/group/battambang-connect
---

Chenda Choeun

TheBTBTraveler

Aug 24, 2019, 5:12:27 AM8/24/19
to Battambang Connect
When I typed "cambodia ពន្លៃ" in google, they show me pictures of turmeric. Here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cambodia+%E1%9E%96%E1%9E%93%E1%9F%92%E1%9E%9B%E1%9F%83&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=r3tkOAS1hYhLfM%253A%252CkN9uzo7CcmUDtM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kR1T_F-UIAV9C8obZ9yvlQLKCPqbA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjSw4fgk5vkAhUIwI8KHdpQCikQ9QEwEHoECAcQCQ#imgrc=_&vet=1

By the way if it is Turmeric is very healthy for consumption also. Many people they drink it for bone problem, brain fog other things. Is very popular in India Ayurveda healing. If it is turmeric.

On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 3:58:38 PM UTC+7, Chenda Choeun wrote:
[...]

TheBTBTraveler

Aug 25, 2019, 6:11:03 AM8/25/19
to Battambang Connect
Ok some people pointed out. The english name is galangal and has a great medical uses. Here is one article I found.

John Bohn

Aug 25, 2019, 6:51:11 AM8/25/19
to Battambang Connect
A Khner friend told me they use it as a spice in soups.

Tony B

Aug 25, 2019, 6:58:03 AM8/25/19
to Battambang Connect
Wife says 100% it is yellow ginger or proper name...Galangal. Used a lot in Singapore in soups.

Chenda Choeun

Aug 25, 2019, 7:58:29 AM8/25/19
to Tony B, Battambang Connect
It’s not galangal which is not that yellow  and not turmeric which is more yellow, both used in cooking.

This message was sent via the Battambang Connect group.

Visit us on the web at http://groups.google.com/group/battambang-connect
---

Tony B

Aug 25, 2019, 8:43:10 AM8/25/19
to Battambang Connect
Note the yellow of the Galangal, same as your photo.  Ginger is whiter.

Ginger Ginger.jpg

Galangagalanga;.jpeg

Chenda Choeun

Aug 25, 2019, 11:39:59 AM8/25/19
to Tony B, Battambang Connect
Found it.. zedoary, its scientific name is curcuma zedoaria, ពន្លៃ
Ginger ខ្ញី
Galangal រំដេង

This message was sent via the Battambang Connect group.

Tony B

Aug 25, 2019, 1:18:45 PM8/25/19
to Battambang Connect
Zedoaria is white inside not yellow. It is often called white tumeric.

Chenda Choeun

Aug 25, 2019, 8:34:43 PM8/25/19
to Tony B, Battambang Connect
It is light yellow. Khmer women use it on their skin and it stains anything it touches, everything turns yellow. Some spars use it for hot compress.

This message was sent via the Battambang Connect group.

TheBTBTraveler

Aug 25, 2019, 9:29:21 PM8/25/19
to Battambang Connect
Chenda Choeun Might be right. Because When I bought it there was a 2 ladies next to the stand and they keep on saying is very good for the skin. They keep on telling me put it on the skin is good. I will go to the market today or tomorrow and I will ask the sale lady for the name. I will post the khmer name here.

Tony B

Aug 26, 2019, 8:00:06 AM8/26/19
to Battambang Connect
Galangal helps in improving skin conditions: The juice of Galangal can be topically applied directly to the skin, to treat inflammations or redness. It can be applied to heal burnt skin and reduce acnes. The anti-microbial properties of the herb can kill the bacteria that cause acne formation.

Zedoary is used for colic, spasms, loss of appetite, and indigestion. Some people also use it for anxiety, stress, fatigue, and pain and swelling (inflammation)