E (ordinary) visa queries

John Macgregor

Mar 31, 2019, 10:25:56 AM3/31/19
to Battambang Connect
I have a one-month E (ordinary) visa & want to extend for 3 or 6 months, from Battambang.

* Can this be done at Siem Reap Immigration?

* If not, is there a travel agent in Battambang I could trust with the task?

* Do I need a letter from my employer? (Some sites say yes, some say no.)

* If so, what does the letter need to say?

Thanks to all...

Giles

Mar 31, 2019, 7:04:15 PM3/31/19
to Battambang Connect
I've never used SR myself; most people seem to think things are more straightforward in PP.

Several people around town will arrange visa extensions through an agent in PP. Pheara at Ganesha guesthouse, for example, handles visas for many of the longer-term expats here. One of these people can tell you what the latest requirements are.

About 18 months ago they introduced a new short-term visa for people 'looking for work'; but if you've already got a job, you needn't worry about that and can go straight to a working visa. The employer's letter was originally just a short-term stop-gap when they hastily revised the visa regulations at the end of 2017, and it looked like everyone that didn't have a work permit was going to get kicked out; obviously nobody wanted that, so while they were sorting everything out, they granted one or two short extensions on the basis of a letter only. Maybe they're still accepting that; although, if you're here on a working visa, they really ought to want to see a work permit and a contract as well (some of the banks now require this to set up an account with them). Again, the visa agents can tell you what you need. The letter used to just have confirm that you were employed with them (or even just had an offer of employment); but it was important that it was on official letter-headed paper with the full company address on it (I ran into a small hiccup in PP once when the NGO I was working with hadn't included the Sangkat in their official address!).

Lukas Bernhardt

Mar 31, 2019, 9:26:45 PM3/31/19
to Battambang Connect
go to the Battambang immigration office, which is in Anlongvell. head towards Pursat, pass the bird roundabout, go strait for about 1km turn right (there is a big since at the highway 5)
they know all the informations and can do it for you according to the newest law.

John Macgregor

Apr 1, 2019, 3:44:48 AM4/1/19
to Battambang Connect
Giles, you are a font of useful information. You should charge for this (immediately after you've finished helping me out).

In order, my list of least preferred activities begins:

1. Visit Phnom Penh.
2. Be tortured by ISIS.

So the option of using Pheara at Genesha, or similar, is very welcome. (I assume Pheara him/herself could advise on the E (ordinary) visa procedure?)

I'll also drop in at Battambang Immigration, to get the latest info, as suggested by Lukas below.

I was hoping to avoid the work permit & contract bit, but will arrange is needed.

Thanks again...

John Macgregor

Apr 1, 2019, 3:45:53 AM4/1/19
to Battambang Connect
Good suggestion Lukas, thanks. I will do that. The laws seem to change regularly, so that's one way to hear that latest.

ATB...

marcu...@hotmail.de

Apr 1, 2019, 11:57:49 PM4/1/19
to Battambang Connect
So the easiest way is going to Ganesha Guesthouse! Pheara knows everything about VISA. Also about the different options which they never will give you at the immigration office!!!! Maybe it costs some dollar more, but service is included. No driving around or anything else. This is for sure the easiest way.

john middleton

Apr 4, 2019, 2:53:07 AM4/4/19
to Battambang Connect
So you can still get a 3 month extension based on 'looking for work'? Even if you have already had a 3 month extension in 2016 and that is in your current passport? And you are 65? I am about to enter the country again so need to know the latest situation.

Giles

Apr 4, 2019, 8:08:50 PM4/4/19
to Battambang Connect
Lina Goldberg's 'Move to Cambodia' website usually has a pretty thorough and up-to-date summary of the visa situation: https://www.movetocambodia.com/planning-your-move-to-cambodia/cambodia-visas/

However, since the new visa extension types were introduced about 18 months ago, there has been a lot more uncertainty and variability - different requirements and objections may sometimes be raised, depending on which agent you're using, or which office you're applying at, or which side of bed the processing officer got out on that morning. These are usually annoying rather than disastrous setbacks, though; you can apply probably apply again somewhere else a few days later and get a positive result.

The 'searching for employment' extension is called the 'EG' type, and is usually the easiest to get. But in theory you can only get one (though some people have apparently been lucky enough to get one or two further extensions on one), for a maximum of six months, and - I think - only single entry; so, of rather limited usefulness! And some people have had problems getting one if they've been in the country for an extended period before (but I think only quite long periods, and up to fairly recently; one lengthy visit a few years ago shouldn't be an issue).

If you're over 55, the easiest thing to do is get the 'ER' visa for retired people. In theory, you're supposed to be able to prove that you are over retirement age in your home country, are not working, and have sufficient funds (no guidelines stated on how much this is!) in Cambodia to support yourself; but in practice, at the moment, if you're 55 or over, no questions seem to be asked at all.

Good luck!

John Macgregor

Apr 5, 2019, 1:38:11 AM4/5/19
to Battambang Connect
Thanks again Giles.

The plot thickens. I'll go see Pheara & see what s/he says.

I am over 65. I have been in the country for extended periods in recent years (work visa).

If the retirement via is anything like an onerous as the Thai retirement visa, I'll probably stick with an E (if I can get it).

Interesting how certain countries in Europe I (an Australian) can just walk in for 3 months (Greece) or 6 months (Armenia), no questions asked.

Thanks again for all the input.

John Macgregor

Apr 5, 2019, 1:38:59 AM4/5/19
to Battambang Connect
Thanks for that Marcus - I will do as you suggest.

All the best.

john middleton

Apr 8, 2019, 2:34:54 AM4/8/19
to Battambang Connect
I don't suppose anyone knows whether having an EG extension and not working would affect the validity of a travel insurance policy from overseas? I tried asking Sopheara at Ganesha but I think she misunderstood my question and besides she has gone away. I gather an ER extension would be long term and imply a change of residency. There are some questions you can't ask an insurance company!

Giles

Apr 8, 2019, 3:30:06 AM4/8/19
to Battambang Connect
Well, if a travel insurance company has granted you a policy for a given period of time, it shouldn't make any difference how long you stay in any particular country, or what the basis of your staying there is.

The only exclusions, usually, are for overall length of time overseas on one 'trip'. That can land you in trouble, if you're trying to get health cover for an extended period overseas - check the rules on the policy.

World Nomads not only has some of the best rates, but also seems to be very happy to turn a blind eye to how long its policy-holders are 'travelling' - even allowing you to extend a policy while still overseas. Last time I looked into this, they seemed to be much the best option for getting inexpensive health insurance.  But this was a couple of years ago, as I'm getting health insurance through an employer at the moment.

And I suspect even Nomads must have their limits - probably won't keep granting you 'travel insurance' health  cover for multiple years overseas!
Message has been deleted

john middleton

Apr 8, 2019, 4:05:34 AM4/8/19
to Battambang Connect
I phoned the insurance company and they don't care how long I stay in one country as long as my trip does not extend over 12 months.

marcu...@hotmail.de

Apr 9, 2019, 11:59:40 PM4/9/19
to Battambang Connect
What has a visa extention to do with a insurance company?
Sopheara from Ganesha has not gone away, only Khmer New Year Holiday. And for sure she is the only one in BTB who can answer questions about Visa.
Maybe you didn´t ask clear enough!