Gfsview error in taylor.c test case

Andrew Pollett

May 28, 2024, 1:30:06 PMMay 28
to basilisk-fr
Hello all,

I am using the latest version of Basilisk on Ubuntu 22.04. I was working on the electrohydrodynamics test case here: http://basilisk.fr/src/test/taylor.c.
Everything works fine but after running the code, I see the error below:

Screenshot from 2024-05-28 10-00-18.png

Which is related to the gfsview. As gfsview is inherited from Gerris I tried to use an older version. I installed Ubuntu 18.04 on virtual machine and ran the example on Basilisk and everything worked flawlessly. So, I presume the incompatibility should be related to the newer version of gfsview.

We are not allowed to have an older version of Linux on the computers on campus because of the security measures, so I have to find a solution to run Basilisk on Ubuntu 22.04.  I know the issue is rooted to newer version of gfsview but I was wondering if there is any permanent solution or alternative so that I could use Basilisk on Ubuntu 22.04

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Pollett

jmlopez...@gmail.com

May 28, 2024, 6:33:11 PMMay 28
to basilisk-fr
Hi Andrew,

When the version of taylor.c you have in test/ was prepared, view.h was not developed and the only view method available was gerris (gfsview). Gerris, although still working well, is no longer maintained, so it is not easy to install due to lack of compatibility with newer versions of the necessary libraries.  However, I have prepared a version of taylor.c that uses, among other changes, the Basilisk view.h viewer. So just cut the result event into:

http://basilisk.fr/sandbox/lopez/taylor.c

and paste it into:

http://basilisk.fr/src/test/taylor.c.

Greetings

Pepe

Andrew Pollett

May 29, 2024, 3:01:46 PMMay 29
to jmlopez...@gmail.com, basilisk-fr
Hi Pepe,

Thank you very much, this helped a lot.

Andrew Pollett

Andrew R. Pollett

Stephane Popinet

May 30, 2024, 4:26:47 AMMay 30
to basil...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pepe and Andrew,

I will update src/ with the new version of Pepe.

Note that gerris/gfsview are still part of Debian and can be installed
easily with:

sudo apt install gerris gfsview

Since Ubuntu is based on Debian, something similar should also be
possible on Ubuntu (and other distributions based on Debian). It maybe
necessary to switch on additional repositories on Ubuntu.

cheers,

Stephane
OpenPGP_0x78F22AD6304D74BE.asc
OpenPGP_signature.asc