Bubble bursting and complex boundaries

Augusto Carballido

Apr 30, 2024, 8:36:12 AMApr 30
to basilisk-fr
Hello Basilisk community,

I would like to simulate the following two processes:
  1. Bubble bursting at a liquid's surface. I know the bursting mechanism studying jet droplets has been studied previously (e.g., Berny et al. 2020), but I was wondering if film droplets had been modeled using Basilisk as well. Furthermore, is there a way to include the effect of organic surfactants?
  2. Vapor flow through pipes with roughrandom walls. Can Basilisk model boundaries with a complex geometry in this case (there might be some nozzles as part of this geometry)?
Thank you in advance,

Augusto

Alexis Berny

May 23, 2024, 5:13:17 AMMay 23
to basilisk-fr
Hi Augusto,

It will be difficult to simulate film droplet since you have to deal with a very fine liquid film compare to the bubble radius. Back to 2020, I've tryed to make a 3D examples, in order to try to get film droplet (http://basilisk.fr/sandbox/aberny/bubble/bursting3D.c). However, my method is not very efficient and will require a lot of ram on a single node (it's an openmp problem at the initialisation). Plus, those are results from 2020, and some new development are possible.

For your second questions, I've tryed recently to models a pipe with the immersed boundary method, adaptivity and a two phase flow, but I end-up with a bug (http://basilisk.fr/sandbox/bugs/bugEmbed.c). It might work if you turn off the adaptivity however.

Hope this help

Alexis

Palas Kumar Farsoiya

May 24, 2024, 1:59:36 AMMay 24
to basilisk-fr
Hi Augusto,

I would like to draw your attention to the film breakup process, which occurs numerically rather than physically when using the Volume of Fluid (VoF) method. This issue has been discussed and addressed by Chirco et al. (2022) in Basilisk.

Best,
Palas

Stephane Zaleski

May 24, 2024, 10:43:59 AMMay 24
to Palas Kumar Farsoiya, basilisk-fr
Hi Palas and Augusto

  Here is a recent preprint where Yash Kulkarni , Stephane P.  and others including me deal with this issue in the context of "bag atomisation" (see in particular appendix A). We indeed use the method of Leonardo Chirco, called "manifold death". Of course the phenomenon is different from bubble bursting. but there are similarities and connections.

   Hope it helps

Stéphane