Concerns regarding to The Noble-Abel Stiffened-Gas (NASG) Equation Of State

Tom chen

Jun 27, 2024, 3:23:29 AM (7 days ago) Jun 27
to basilisk-fr
Hi all,

I have some concerns on The Noble-Abel Stiffened-Gas (NASG) Equation Of State in "NASG.h", where the equation does not seem to match the code, especially when calculating the average temperature. If I set the water pressure as 1atm and density as 998.21, this gives me a temperature around 350K. Only water density of about 1061kg/m^3 gives me room temperature of 293.15K. I saw a mismatch in the EOS equation and the code. I'm wondering why this is the case.

Best
Tom

Youssef Saadeh

Jun 28, 2024, 12:42:18 PM (6 days ago) Jun 28
to Tom chen, basilisk-fr
Hi Tom,

I'm not sure what you mean by a mismatch between the equation and the code. If you check the NASG paper by Le Métayer & Saurel (2016), they give the constants for liquid water for a temperature range of [300-500] K. These coefficients are the result of a fitting with experimental data. Specifically, if you check their figure 6, the prediction of water density by NASG seems to fit best at around 350 K, as you observed.

Also, please check this test case of Saade et al. (2023).

Best,
Youssef