~BSQL~: Pitch f/x data; matching pitcher id with pitches.

Nicholas Miceli

Aug 23, 2013, 3:47:38 PM8/23/13
to baseball-sq...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've downloaded the pitch f/x data using Baseball On A Stick, which did a great job of getting the data for me. However, I'm wanting to link the pitches in the pitch table with pitcher IDs so that I can query individual pitchers and look at how they performed game by game, etc.

Can anyone give some insight into which tables and variables I need to match to be able to do this? I can work it out eventually, but if someone has already been down that road, it would be a big help.

Regards,

Nick Miceli

Nicholas Miceli

Aug 23, 2013, 10:45:09 PM8/23/13
to baseball-sq...@googlegroups.com
Good evening,

With some valuable help, I just figured it out.

Harry Pavlidis pointed me in the right direction when he suggested that I should be able to match between the "pitches" and "atbats" tables. I went ahead and pulled test data for one game so that I could better see what was going on in the Gameday data.

The "num" field that identifies each "at bat" in the "atbats" table ties out to the "gameAtBatID" field in the "pitches" table. "atbats" table contains the pitcher's ID which is easy to identify since it's the Elias ID for the pitcher. Problem solved since that's provided in the "pitchers" table, but would also be accessible from other sources.

Now I can do the analytics and identify each pitcher easily.

Miceli