Weekly Announcements

Lorraine Gehring

Oct 18, 2021, 12:46:33 PM10/18/21
to Barony Email List

October 18, 2021

Greetings!

It was a joy to celebrate Calontir’s new baronage in Coeur d Ennui this past weekend with lovely weather, and an excellent representation from Forgotten Sea. We look forward to another lovely cool weekend at Three Rivers’ “Griffins Fest” event this weekend.

We are reminded of the regular turnover of officer positions. We are happy to encourage and support each other when it’s time for our dedicated officers to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Please keep an eye out for opportunities to facilitate everybody’s fun in the SCA. If you don’t know where to start, please reach out to or any officer for details.

We are also watching Calontir’s implementation of the “COVIDSafe” policy designed to provide as safe as possible environment for all of us with great interest. If you haven’t reviewed recent details, please check out the news here: https://www.calontir.org/covidsafe/

Until Calontir’s policy is approved, we will continue with the guidelines implemented since August. Thank you for your participation and support! We look forward to successfully retiring these policies in the future.

Kendall and Ali

Calontir Culture and Peerage Class This Wednesday

Wednesday, October 20 at 7 pm at the Missouri National Guard Armory (directions below). Taught by Master Mellitus Rouncivale.

This discussion is designed to offer insight into how Calontir culture developed and how this Kingdom views its peerage.

Next week’s class is Open Hoods with Mistress Giraude Benet.

Roll of Arms Project

Mistress Dorcas will have paint and supplies to work on the Roll of Arms project at Wednesday’s practice.

Fighter Practice

On Wednesday fighter practice/populace meeting will be held at the Missouri National Guard Armory, 2323 S Crysler Ave, Independence, MO 64052 (corner or Crysler and 23rd St.). Practice begins at 6 pm.

Since we will be indoors, masks are required, per SCA. As a U.S. Army site, masks are mandatory.

Use the link below for directions:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Missouri+National+Guard/@39.0783459,-94.4324991,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x87c0fd2eff191ba1:0x42f43d40cc8f65b0!8m2!3d39.0783504!4d-94.4321027

SCA Risk Disclosure for In-Person Meetings

Although the SCA complies with all applicable laws to try to ensure the health and safety of our event participants, we cannot eliminate the risk of exposure to infectious diseases during in-person events. By participating in the in-person events of the SCA, you acknowledge and accept the potential risks. You agree to take any additional steps to protect your own health and safety and those under your control as you believe to be necessary.

To add news or announcements, please send items to social...@bfs-kc.org or via Facebook Messenger to Lorraine Gehring and webmi...@bfs-kc.org. Thanks!

Lorraine Gehring

Oct 25, 2021, 12:43:30 PM10/25/21
to Barony Email List

October 25, 2021

It’s wonderful to see the Wednesday evening class schedule filling up. If you haven’t had a chance to check it out, please take a minute and see which class(es) you are interested in attending. Mistress Giraude will be teaching a class on Open Hoods this week, and we are also planning on having preprints and painting materials available to anyone that would like to help TRM Calontir recognize the deserving citizens of our fair Kingdom.

Just a reminder for Cut and Thrust participants to wear shoes with non-marking soles now that we are fighting inside for the winter. Also, a BIG THANK YOU to those of you who helped clean off the marks from shoes on the Armory floor before leaving practice last week. Your assistance in keeping the site clean is appreciated!

Kris Kinder is a mere six weeks away. Sign-up sheets for Gate, Drop Off helpers and other jobs will be available soon. Please think about where your talents would be best used to ensure everything is covered and runs smoothly. His Excellency would also like to thank The Canton of Aston Tor for volunteering to provide an Inn for lunch and to take care of clean up/closing down site again this year. If you feel your energy and service are best suited to help with the Inn or clean up, please make sure to contact a Tor officer to let them know your intentions.

YIS, Alianora and Kendall

Class: Open Hoods at 7 pm This Wednesday

Taught by Mèstra Giraude Benet in the side room at the Armory (see below for directions).

Learn how to construct a 15th-century ladies’ open hood with inset gore/godet. (If you have ever thought that inserting a gore/godet into a slash was a daunting task, I'll demonstrate an easy method to set them in by hand.)

Pattern will be provided. If you wish to start on a hood, please bring one prewashed yard of a 54-inch wide medium-weight linen or linen blend, or two half yards if you wish the lining to be a different color. Bring your own scissors, pins, needles and thread if you can.

Since we will be indoors, masks are required, per SCA. As a U.S. Army site, masks are mandatory. Steel fighters must wear footwear with non-marking soles.

No Aston Tor Meeting This Thursday

The Top Hat Winery is booked this week. Next Tor meeting is on November 10.

Baronial A&S Championship Happening Soon!

The theme will be the same as the last attempt, which is to "make something for your persona." Anything your persona would have worn, sat on, eaten, drank from, wielded or whatever else is fair game. Documentation is index card minimum, but more is encouraged. The competition will be held at Kris Kinder by populace choice.

Entries may not have been used in other competitions, including the Calontir Clothing Challenge. Considering KK is an indoor event and the current state of things, you do not need to be present to enter. If you are unable or uncomfortable attending, please consider sending an entry with a friend.

In-Person Meetings Disclaimer

Lorraine Gehring

Nov 1, 2021, 12:48:01 PM11/1/21
to Barony Email List

November 1, 2021

This Week’s Class: Intro to Heraldry

Taught by Mistress Dorcas Whitecap

This class will cover the basics, like how to pick a name and design a device. But first it will address MORE BASIC questions like, “what is a name?” and “what is a device” and “why should I register anything?” After covering these topics, the class will be mostly in a Q&A format. Ask me anything! (Anything about heraldry, that is.)

Steel fighters must wear footwear with non-marking soles.

Since we will be indoors, masks are required, per SCA. As a U.S. Army site, masks are mandatory.

Use the link below for directions:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Missouri+National+Guard/@39.0783459,-94.4324991,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x87c0fd2eff191ba1:0x42f43d40cc8f65b0!8m2!3d39.0783504!4d-94.4321027

Aston Tor Meeting Next Week

The Canton of Aston Tor meets the second and fourth Thursdays of the month at Top Hat Winery, 120 S. Main St., Independence, MO 64050. Meetings begin at 7 pm. All are welcome.

dorcasw...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2021, 7:31:25 PM11/1/21
to Barony Email List
Aaand.  This Thursday, being the first Thursday of the month, will be the Roll of Arms project work night at the Corinth branch of the Johnson County Library.  The room is reserved starting at 6pm, but I won't be able to get there until about 6:20.  I'll have the unfinished pennants, and painting supplies, and my sewing machine.

It's a nice big room with lots of tables and electrical outlets, so if you have other projects to work on, you'll be welcome.

D^

Lorraine Gehring

Nov 8, 2021, 12:44:31 PM11/8/21
to Barony Email List

Weekly Announcements

November 8, 2021

Curia is this Wednesday at 7 pm at the Armory.

This week is Curia and we would love to see you there. Please join us as we visit about preparations for Kris Kinder and how you can help to make it a successful event. We will also have a few preprints available, and I will bring my small supply of Gouache paints for anyone who would like to do a little scroll painting, as recently requested by TRM.

Kris Kinder is a mere five weeks away. A few things to think about:

·       It’s time to start filling out those Award Recommendations and rat out your friends.

·       We will need to present TRM with largesse during court. If you have largesse you are considering, please visit with Her Excellency Alianora so that we know what we will have to present during court.

·       Sign-up sheets for Gate, drop-off area helpers and other jobs will be available soon. Please think about where your talents would be best used to ensure everything is covered and runs smoothly.

·       The Canton of Tor has volunteered to provide an Inn for lunch and to take care of clean up/closing down site again this year. Please let the Tor officers know if you are planning to lend a hand in those areas.

With the holidays right around the corner, we would like to extend an invitation to anyone that would like to join us for a non-SCA-related Thanksgiving Day Open House at our home. Everyone is welcome and we will be home all day. So, if you miss the laughter and licking the beaters in a holiday kitchen, watching the parade/game with your friends or just a comfy place to fall asleep after eating too much pie, we are your huckleberries. We do ask that if you aren’t vaccinated that you wear a mask as a safety precaution and that you consider wearing stretchy pants ‘cause no one will be leaving hungry...lol. If you decide you would like to drop by let us know so we can give you the address.

YIS, Alianora and Kendall

Since we will be indoors, masks are required, per SCA. As a U.S. Army site, masks are mandatory. Steel fighters must wear footwear with non-marking soles.

Aston Tor Meeting This Thursday, November 11

The Canton of Aston Tor meets the second and fourth Thursdays of the month at Top Hat Winery, 120 S. Main St., Independence, MO 64050. Meetings begin at 7 pm. All are welcome. Note: There will be no meeting on Thanksgiving.

Lorraine Gehring

Nov 15, 2021, 12:51:31 PM11/15/21
to Barony Email List

Weekly Announcements

November 15, 2021

In an effort to keep the messages from turning into a full-length novel, We would just like to say that if you haven’t had a chance to read the Curia minutes that were recently posted, please take a minute to do so that you can find out about all of the interesting things that we have in the works for Kris Kinder and Bloody Trident Inn. Please feel free to contact the event stewards for these upcoming events, Brian or Ourselves if you have any questions or are trying to decide where your help may be needed.

YIS, Alianora and Kendall

Officers Needed

The Barony needs a drop-dead deputy for the exchequer. Deputies for A&S, archery and chronicler also are needed.

Calontir COVIDSafe Policy Begins this Wednesday

Remember: you’ll need to bring your proof of vaccination with you to fighter practice/populace meeting. A picture of your vaccine card on your phone will do. You also need to bring your ID.

Or you can bring proof of a negative COVID test within 72 hours of the event. Parents of 12- to 17-year-olds need to provide proof for their kids; children under 12 years old do not need to provide proof of vaccination or test.

Baronial A&S Championship to Be Held at Kris Kinder

The theme will be the same as the last attempt, which is to "make something for your persona." Anything your persona would have worn, sat on, eaten, drank from, wielded or whatever else is fair game. Documentation is index card minimum, but more is encouraged. The competition will be held at Kris Kinder by populace choice.

Entries may not have been used in other competitions, including the Calontir Clothing Challenge. Considering KK is an indoor event and the current state of things, you do not need to be present to enter. If you are unable or uncomfortable attending, please consider sending an entry with a friend.

Class: Block Printing

Taught by Lady Miakushka Loshkina.

This Wednesday at 7 pm learn how to block print onto fabric.

Steel fighters must wear footwear with non-marking soles.

Since we will be indoors, masks are required, per SCA. As a U.S. Army site, masks are mandatory.

Use the link below for directions:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Missouri+National+Guard/@39.0783459,-94.4324991,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x87c0fd2eff191ba1:0x42f43d40cc8f65b0!8m2!3d39.0783504!4d-94.4321027

Lorraine Gehring

Nov 22, 2021, 12:12:02 PM11/22/21
to Barony Email List

Weekly Announcements

November 22, 2021

It was wonderful seeing so many of you at Toys for Tots last weekend! It’s hard to believe that Kris Kinder is only a few weeks away.

We would like to extend congratulations to our Baronial resident Eawynn Ingen Broccain for winning the A&S Competition this past weekend at Toys for Tots. She and Seathrun Brock (Badger) were also granted their Award of Arms during Court as well. Help us in congratulating the newest Lord and Lady in our Barony.

Please make sure to make your award recommendations to TRM. The link that follows will take you to the webpage to rat out your friends and help them get the recognition they deserve. https://www.calontir.org/award-recommendations/?fbclid=IwAR0vxG_jOmHLFFJuJ9oHa1rY5GAHChNNcBv9QlQBR2sDcXDQ8tyc199q6pA

We are looking forward to seeing everyone at practice on Wednesday. For those of you traveling for the Holiday or unable to attend we want to wish you a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving.

YIS, Alianora and Kendall

Officers Needed

The Barony needs a drop-dead deputy for the exchequer. Deputies for A&S, archery and chronicler also are needed.

Fighter Practice

You will need to bring your proof of vaccination and photo ID with you or proof of a negative COVID test within 72 hours of the event. Parents of 12- to 17-year-olds need to provide proof for their kids; children under 12 years old do not need to provide proof of vaccination or test.

Lorraine Gehring

Nov 29, 2021, 12:27:33 PM11/29/21
to Barony Email List

Weekly Announcements

November 29, 2021

Kris Kinder is almost here! Much fun will be had by all, but it also takes a lot of hands to help make the fun happen. If you haven’t signed up for your gate shift, to help unload merchants or to help with clean up, please reserve the time that works best for you asap. If you are unsure who to visit with just let us know or ask around and we will help you get on the schedule!

Our amazing Event Stewards and Room Scheduler have decided to have a special “quiet” room where folks can go to relax, recharge and escape the crowds for a bit. If you have items that could help to create a comfy area, please contact Her Ladyship Ysabel to make arrangements for drop off the day of the event. Pillows, rugs, bean bags, comfy camp chairs would be welcomed so that folks have a place to get away from it all.

If you have items for largesse to be presented to TRM from the Barony during court, please let Baroness Alianora know what you are planning and when you will have it for the basket. It helps to know the size of the basket for presentation. We would like to thank Mistress Ayisha and Mistress Ylva for the donations for the basket already.

Please make sure to make your award recommendations to TRM. The link that follows will take you to the webpage to rat out your friends and help them get the recognition they deserve: https://www.calontir.org/award-recommendations/?fbclid=IwAR0vxG_jOmHLFFJuJ9oHa1rY5GAHChNNcBv9QlQBR2sDcXDQ8tyc199q6pA

YIS, Alianora and Kendall

Kris Kinder Gold Key Sort & Swap

This year at Kris Kinder the Kingdom's Chatelaines will be getting together to go through their Gold Key stores. A room has been reserved for this at the venue from 9 am to 1 pm.  If you have gold key donations that you've been planning on making, this would be an ideal time to do so. Donations in advance of the event are also welcome and can be made at Wednesday evening practices.

If you are new to Calontir and have been wanting to go to an event but don't know what to wear, come to Kris Kinder and we will ensure you have appropriate clothing for the day. If you have friends who have been wanting to go to an event but do not have garb of their own, please bring them and we will outfit them in period-appropriate clothing. If you have any questions, please contact Cecily Abbot via email at chate...@bfs-kc.org.

Lorraine Gehring

Dec 6, 2021, 12:58:09 PM12/6/21
to Barony Email List

December 6, 2021

Come join us for Curia on Wednesday at 7 pm and find out all the latest info on Kris Kinder for this weekend. We would love to see you. I don’t know about you, but We are EXCITED!

If you have items for largesse to be presented to TRM from the Barony during court please let Baroness Alianora know what you are planning and when you will have it for the basket. It helps to know the size of the basket for presentation.

Please make sure to make your award recommendations to TRM. The link that follows will take you to the webpage to rat out your friends and help them get the recognition they deserve. https://www.calontir.org/award-recommendations/?fbclid=IwAR0vxG_jOmHLFFJuJ9oHa1rY5GAHChNNcBv9QlQBR2sDcXDQ8tyc199q6pA

We are also still/always accepting Baronial awards recommendations as well. See the links below for more information. Baronial awards: https://www.bfs-kc.org/about/baronial-awards Baronial award rec form: https://www.bfs-kc.org/about/award-recommendation Baronial Order of Precedence: https://www.bfs-kc.org/about/op

YIS, Alianora and Kendall

Fighter Practice

On Wednesday fighter practice/populace meeting and Curia will be held at the Missouri National Guard Armory, 2323 S Crysler Ave, Independence, MO 64052 (corner or Crysler and 23rd St.). Practice begins at 6 pm. Curia begins at 7 pm.