Weekly Announcements

Lorraine Gehring

Jan 4, 2021, 12:52:39 PMJan 4
to Barony Email List

January 4, 2021

From the Baroness

We hope that the beginning of the New Year finds everyone filled with the warmth of the Holiday Season and ready to move onto new adventures and projects. Whether your resolution is to finish old projects or to start new ones, we would love to see your projects and hear your adventures in research. With that in mind, we would like to encourage you to post a few pictures and let everyone know what you're working on.

Baroness Alianora

Medieval Astrology Class This Wednesday at 7 pm

What would it mean if the heir to the throne was born under the sign of Gemini with Scorpio rising? Before it was dismissed as a pseudoscience, the ancient and medieval world relied on astrology for when to go to war, when to plant crops, when to sign contracts, and how to diagnose and cure illnesses.

Join us on January 6 at 7 pm for a class on Medieval Astrology taught by Lady Pádraigín AnEinigh and learn about astrology’s role in our ancient and medieval past.

To add news or announcements, please send items to social...@bfs-kc.org or via Facebook Messenger to Lorraine Gehring and webmi...@bfs-kc.org. Thanks!

Lorraine Gehring

Jan 11, 2021, 1:06:28 PMJan 11
to Barony Email List

January 11, 2021

Curia is this Wednesday at 7 pm

From the Seneschal

Please join us for virtual Curia this week. Everyone is welcome. The agenda will follow in a separate post.

Join with Google Meet:

meet.google.com/epf-qurm-hvr

Join by phone: +1 435-731-4906 (PIN: 835107359)

Contact sene...@bfs-kc.org for more information.

Class Rescheduled for January 27

The Medieval Astrology class that was canceled last week has been rescheduled for the 27th at 7 pm.

Lorraine Gehring

Jan 18, 2021, 12:04:32 PMJan 18
to Barony Email List

January 18, 2021

From the Baron

Greetings! As we navigate into the (hopefully) end of the siege, we are reminded how industrious and creative you are. The social media posts of amazing projects and physical fitness are a wonder to behold. Keep it up!

If you would like to (virtually) hang out and chat, we would love to have you Wednesday evening on our Zoom call her Excellency will set up (details below). Ysabel we think is also working on more insightful classes soon. Please keep warm and stay safe!

Join the Baroness in Her Weekly Zoom Meeting

Join us for our weekly Zoom meeting this Wednesday at 7 pm:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83756489424?pwd=OW95Y3JlZk5KR2I0TjUwbjQxWkduZz09

Meeting ID: 837 5648 9424
Passcode: Wednesday
One tap mobile
+12532158782,,83756489424#,,,,,,0#,,661453116# US (Tacoma)
+13462487799,,83756489424#,,,,,,0#,,661453116# US (Houston)
Passcode: 661453116

Medieval Astrology Class Next Week

What would it mean if the heir to the throne was born under the sign of Gemini with Scorpio rising? Before it was dismissed as a pseudoscience, the ancient and medieval world relied on astrology for when to go to war, when to plant crops, when to sign contracts, and how to diagnose and cure illnesses.

Join us on January 27 at 7 pm for a class on Medieval Astrology taught by Lady Pádraigín AnEinigh and learn about astrology’s role in our ancient and medieval past.

Lorraine Gehring

Jan 25, 2021, 12:46:36 PMJan 25
to Barony Email List

What would it mean if the heir to the throne was born under the sign of Gemini with Scorpio rising? Before it was dismissed as a pseudoscience, the ancient and medieval world relied on astrology for when to go to war, when to plant crops, when to sign contracts, and how to diagnose and cure illnesses.

Join us this Wednesday, January 27, at 7 pm for this fascinating class taught by Lady Pádraigín AnEinigh and learn about astrology’s role in our ancient and medieval past.

Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 7 pm CST

meet.google.com/dvm-fiyb-xfd

Lorraine Gehring

Feb 1, 2021, 12:49:38 PMFeb 1
to Barony Email List

February 1, 2021

From the Baron and Baroness

Just a reminder to everyone that Sunday, Feb. 6th is the Online Clothiers Event.

There are a lot of wonderful classes lined up and even a virtual Walk thru History is planned. I know that Ysabel has been sending out information posts to both Facebook and the email group, but if you need more information and are unable to locate it please let someone know. I know I’m looking forward to seeing some faces that I haven’t gotten to see in far too long. See ya there!

In service,

Baroness Alianora

Clayton Neff

Feb 2, 2021, 7:42:16 PMFeb 2
to Lorraine Gehring, Barony Email List
I believe the 6th is Saturday, not Sunday.

-- Logan --

Lorraine Gehring

Feb 3, 2021, 4:40:57 PMFeb 3
to Clayton Neff, Barony Email List
You're right!

Lorraine Gehring

Feb 8, 2021, 12:58:36 PMFeb 8
to Barony Email List

February 8, 2021

Curia is this Wednesday, same time (7 pm), same place (your couch).

From the Baron and Baroness

Greetings! We were so happy to see friendly faces online at Cum An Iolar’s Clothier’s Seminar on Saturday! Thank you to those who shared their knowledge. Speaking of meeting virtually, our monthly Curia meeting is Wednesday, February 10, 2021, at 7 PM Central. Officers are expected, the populace is also welcome. As society progresses towards an end to our long isolation, please be careful and smart so we see you again healthy and ready for new memories.

YIS,

Baron Kendall and Baroness Alianora

Join Curia with Google Meet:

meet.google.com/epf-qurm-hvr

Join by phone: +1 435-731-4906 (PIN: 835107359)

Contact sene...@bfs-kc.org for more information.

To add news or announcements, please send items to social...@bfs-kc.org or via Facebook Messenger to Lorraine Gehring and webmi...@bfs-kc.org. Thanks!

Lorraine Gehring

Feb 15, 2021, 1:01:14 PMFeb 15
to Barony Email List

February 15, 2021

Class This Wednesday, Feb. 17, at 7 pm

Documentation 101

Taught by HL Ysabel de la Oya

Join with Google Meet

meet.google.com/gmm-kpnh-yta

Join by phone: +1 727-223-1080 (PIN: 132968854)

Join the Barony of Forgotten Sea for a class by HL Ysabel de la Oya on Documentation 101.

We may not be able to have our February Queen's Prize, but we can sharpen our skills for later on this year or later. If the requirement for documentation keeps you from entering, FEAR NOT, this is the class for you.

We look at the documentation requirements on the Calontir website and talk about how to create beginner and intermediate documentation for Queen's Prize and Kingdom Arts and Sciences in a paper format.

While this class specifically is tailored for Calontir, the same principles will apply to other Kingdom rubrics as well.

More New Classes in February and March

Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2021 7pm – 8pm

A Brief History of Astronomy

Taught by Lord Jon Chesey of Three Rivers

Wednesday, Mar. 24, 2021 7pm – 8pm

Christianity & Astronomy in the Medieval Period

Taught by Lord Jon Chesey of Three Rivers

Lorraine Gehring

Feb 22, 2021, 12:27:46 PMFeb 22
to Barony Email List

February 22, 2021

Class This Wednesday, Feb. 24, at 7 pm

A Brief History of Astronomy

Taught by Lord Jon Chesey of Three Rivers

Join with Google Meet

meet.google.com/gmm-kpnh-yta

Join by phone: +1 727-223-1080 (PIN: 132968854)

Join the Barony of Forgotten Sea for a class by Lord Jon Chesey of Three Rivers on A Brief History of Astronomy.

A common misconception in astronomical history is that, after the Greek astronomers developed the Geocentric model, the field of astronomy was virtually non-existent for over 1300 years until revitalized by Copernicus, Kepler, and Galileo at the beginning of the Renaissance. In reality, an interest in astronomy remained throughout the entirety of period, although often lacking in sophistication in some regions.

This class gives a broad overview of astronomical history starting with the Babylonians, going through the Greek era, the Islamic golden age, the Christian west, and ending with the developments of the renaissance.

Next Month’s Classes:

Wednesday, Mar. 17, 2021, 7 pm

Textile Class

Taught by Mistress Diachbha

Wednesday, Mar. 24, 2021, 7 pm

Lorraine Gehring

Mar 1, 2021, 12:53:54 PMMar 1
to Barony Email List

March 1, 2021

From the Baroness

Greetings to all,

If you miss visiting and feasting with your neighbors (BFS and neighboring groups in the area), we would like to invite you to join us for a discussion about the possibility of a Virtual Baronial Feast this Wednesday at 7 pm via Zoom.

We will discuss the details concerning food prep, food delivery and the folks that would be needed to make this happen. If we have enough interest in making this happen, I will bring it up for discussion in Curia this month. Please see the meeting information below.

In Service to Barony and Kingdom,

Baroness Alianora

Topic: Baroness Alianora's Zoom Meeting to Discuss Possible Virtual Feast

Time: 7 pm Wednesday, March 3rd

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83756489424

Meeting ID: 837 5648 9424

Passcode: Wednesday

One tap mobile +12532158782,,83756489424# US (Tacoma) +13462487799,,83756489424# US (Houston)

Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kfS7uC9gp

March Online Activities:

Wednesday, March 10, 7 pm

Curia

Wednesday, Mar. 17, 7 pm

Textile Class

Taught by Mistress Diachbha

Wednesday, Mar. 24, 7 pm

Lorraine Gehring

Mar 8, 2021, 1:07:16 PMMar 8
to Barony Email List

March 8, 2021

Curia is this Wednesday at 7 pm

Join Curia with Google Meet:

meet.google.com/epf-qurm-hvr

Join by phone: +1 435-731-4906 (PIN: 835107359)

Contact sene...@bfs-kc.org for more information.

From the Baron

Greetings! As we see an end to the great plague siege, please heed the guidance of Their Majesties’ words. We miss you and look forward to good news soon.

With that in mind, we are still interested in seeing calligraphy and illumination of the scroll texts we sent over the winter. We would love to behold the art of our barony. If you have any questions, please reach out.

We are hosting monthly Curia Wednesday night at 7 pm Central: officers are expected, the populace is always welcome.

YIS,

Baron Kendall

Upcoming Classes:

Wednesday, Mar. 17, 7 pm

Brocade and Damask Class

Taught by Mistress Diachbha

In this class we will look at the structure, terminology and history of damask and brocade weaves and textiles. We’ll take a peek at European, Anatolian and Asian textiles. And we'll also chat about contemporary uses of these terms by the fashion industry.

Wednesday, Mar. 24, 7 pm

Christianity & Astronomy in the Medieval Period

Taught by Lord Jon Chesey of Three Rivers

In popular media, Christianity is often portrayed as antithetical to science with the persecution of Galileo Galilei and Giordano Bruno as well as the banning of Copernicus', Kepler's, and Galileo's works given as example. Religious apologists often counter that religion in general and Christianity in particular was the impetus for astronomical investigation, frequently citing the exact same authors.

As with many things, the reality of the relationship between Christianity and astronomy is far more complex. This talk looks at commentary on astronomy by Christian leaders throughout period, examining where they supported astronomy and where they condemned it.

Lorraine Gehring

Mar 15, 2021, 1:16:18 PMMar 15
to Barony Email List

March 15, 2021

From the Seneschal

Dearest Chosen Family,

As recently communicated by their Majesties and their Excellencies, now is not the time to lessen our vigilance in protecting ourselves, those we love, and everyone else that we and our loved ones interact with.

We are coming close to a time we can start returning to those things we have been missing so desperately this long and miserable year.

Now is not the time to run forward to engagement.

Now is the time to move steadily forward in lockstep with all shields interlocked! Please Stay the Line with me until the generals shout the CHARGE!

In Service to Crown, Kingdom, and The Dream Forever!

Ld. Brian Robert MacDougall

Virtual Classes:

This Wednesday, Mar. 17, 7 pm

Brocade and Damask Class

Taught by Mistress Diachbha

In this class we will look at the structure, terminology and history of damask and brocade weaves and textiles. We’ll take a peek at European, Anatolian and Asian textiles. And we'll also chat about contemporary uses of these terms by the fashion industry.

Next Wednesday, Mar. 24, 7 pm

Lorraine Gehring

Mar 22, 2021, 1:10:19 PMMar 22
to Barony Email List

March 22, 2021

This Wednesday, March 24, 7 pm

Christianity & Astronomy in the Medieval Period

Taught by Lord Jon Chesey of Three Rivers

Join with Google Meet:
https://meet.google.com/yoh-gitg-vuy

Join by phone:

‪(US) +1 252-376-1799

PIN: ‪732 475 346#

In popular media, Christianity is often portrayed as antithetical to science with the persecution of Galileo Galilei and Giordano Bruno as well as the banning of Copernicus', Kepler's, and Galileo's works given as example. Religious apologists often counter that religion in general and Christianity in particular was the impetus for astronomical investigation, frequently citing the exact same authors.

As with many things, the reality of the relationship between Christianity and astronomy is far more complex. This talk looks at commentary on astronomy by Christian leaders throughout period, examining where they supported astronomy and where they condemned it.

Upcoming Virtual Classes:

Wednesday, April 7, 7 pm

Painting with Embroidery: Introduction to Chinese Su Embroidery

Taught by Lady Nadya Helming of Three Rivers

Wednesday, April 28, 7 pm

History of Zero

Taught by Mistress Dorcas Whitecap of Forgotten Sea

Lorraine Gehring

Mar 29, 2021, 12:07:24 PMMar 29
to Barony Email List

March 29, 2021

From the Baron

Greetings!

Seeing Calontiri celebrating their immunizations gives us hope. We are as eager for the end of the great plague as anyone else. We are still observing directions by Society and Their Majesties and await new guidance for activities after the end of May.

Thank you to Jon Chesey for sharing his “Christianity & Astronomy in the Medieval Period” class last week. Keep an eye out for more virtual classes, thanks to A&S Minister Ysabel de la Oya! Also, loving congratulations go out to Ayisha Bint Asad! For those who may not have seen, Ayisha announced her engagement with Galen MacColmain this past weekend.

Baron Gerald Kendall

Upcoming Virtual Classes and Meetings:

Next Wednesday, April 7, 7 pm

Painting with Embroidery: Introduction to Chinese Su Embroidery

Taught by Lady Nadya Helming of Three Rivers

Wednesday, April 14, 7 pm

Curia

Lorraine Gehring

Apr 5, 2021, 12:32:20 PMApr 5
to Barony Email List

April 5, 2021

BFS Weekly Announcements

From the Baron

Greetings!

We are ecstatic to hear the Society announcement of the resumption of activities! In preparation, we would encourage you to inspect your gear. This includes any martial equipment, camping supplies, and feast gear among all the categories.

If you haven’t, please review the official Society announcement. There are some Q&As on the way; it helps everyone to do homework. Please keep your eyes out for more information. We are also happy to see the fitness efforts on social media! Keep up the inspiring work. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Kendall

Upcoming Virtual Classes and Meetings:

This Wednesday, April 7, 7 pm

Painting with Embroidery: Introduction to Chinese Su Embroidery

Taught by Lady Nadya Helming of Three Rivers

Join the Barony of Forgotten Sea for a class by Lady Nadya Helming from the Barony of Three Rivers for a class on Chinese Su Embroidery.

Join with Google Meet:

meet.google.com/bav-gtbw-txt

Join by phone:
(US) +1 435-708-1193
(PIN: 239242521)

Come and explore the 2000-year-old craft of Chinese Su Embroidery as we explore its rich history and learn a few beginning stitches and techniques of the craft. We will learn how to do multiple stitches, transfer designs, and how to set up your frame.

Next Wednesday, April 14, 7 pm

Lorraine Gehring

Apr 12, 2021, 11:37:14 AMApr 12
to Barony Email List

April 12, 2021

Curia is this Wednesday, April 14, at 7 pm

Join with Google Meet:

meet.google.com/epf-qurm-hvr

Join by phone: +1 435-731-4906 (PIN: 835107359)

Contact sene...@bfs-kc.org for more information.

Upcoming Virtual Classes and Meetings:

Wednesday, April 28, 7 pm

Clayton Neff

Apr 14, 2021, 6:51:14 PMApr 14
to Barony Email List, Barony of Forgotten Sea
From Master Friedrich:

I'm contacting the Barony to let you know that I am trying to sell my Midwest tent rectangular Marquee. The tent it is 12x21 ft with 6 ft high removable walls. It's all white. It will come with all the poles, ropes, and stakes to put it up. It also has a green and white awning that can be attached to the side or used separately. This is the one I used for falconry for so many years out at Lily's war. It's a nice big tent. It's in good condition. Somebody could pick it up at my house, take it right out to Lily's site, set it up and have a big beautiful space to sleep. Please feel free to pass this information around. I would appreciate it. I'm certain somebody would be interested in having a big tent for lilies.

My phone number is 913-206-5468 and my email is master.f...@gmail.com

Thank you.

Master Friedrich von Bluminkamp
mka John Carl Brooks

Lorraine Gehring

Apr 19, 2021, 12:50:47 PMApr 19
to Barony Email List

April 19, 2021

From the Baron

Greetings! As our Barony, Kingdom, and Society begin the return to group activities we would like to present the opportunity of starting anew. What activities have you enjoyed in the past? What activities are you looking forward to? What can we do to support your fun in the SCA?

On the other side of the proverbial activity coin, what service are you interested in offering? There are a number of opportunities to support the SCA’s return to activity through service. Please reach out to us at baro...@bfs-kc.org or Seneschal Lord Brian Robert MacDougall at sene...@bfs-kc.org if you would like to know more.

Baron Gerald Kendall

Upcoming Virtual Classes and Meetings:

Wednesday, April 28, 7 pm

History of Zero

Taught by Mistress Dorcas Whitecap of Forgotten Sea

These days zero seems so simple and natural that we accept it with no reservation. Many civilizations had number systems with no symbol for zero and did not feel any need for it. This class will explain how Europe got along without zero during our period, how it came to Europe and how it finally caught on. Yes, there will be Roman numeral arithmetic!

Lorraine Gehring

Apr 26, 2021, 12:47:36 PMApr 26
to Barony Email List

April 26, 2021

Hello Barony!

It’s finally starting to feel like spring again and I know that I have started spending more time outside in the yard and garden.

As it gets closer to the time that we all begin gathering together again we encourage you to take advantage of the wonderful weather and start acclimatizing yourself to being outside more. Pull out the pell and work on a little outdoor cardio to be ready for the Summer temps, take a walk around your neighborhood to build a bit of walking endurance up again, season your pans in a back yard fire pit, do whatever you would usually do in Spring to start preparing for camping season. The Midwestern Summer is on its way, and with more and more folks getting their vaccinations, we want everyone to able to safely and comfortably join in for the celebrations as restrictions get lifted. We miss your faces and look forward to seeing them soon!

Baroness Alianora

This Wednesday, April 28, 7 pm

History of Zero

Taught by Mistress Dorcas Whitecap of Forgotten Sea

These days zero seems so simple and natural that we accept it with no reservation. Many civilizations had number systems with no symbol for zero and did not feel any need for it. This class will explain how Europe got along without zero during our period, how it came to Europe and how it finally caught on. Yes, there will be Roman numeral arithmetic!

Notice: Baronial Archery Practice Delayed

Due to the targets at Shawnee Mission Park archery field being only partially available until mid-May, we are deferring official practices until May 16th. We will bring portable butts at that time in case renovations are not complete

Master Mathurin

Lorraine Gehring

May 3, 2021, 12:51:44 PMMay 3
to Barony Email List

May 3, 2021

Unto one and all, happy New Year (May 1, 1966 the SCA was born)!

As we get closer to in-person activities, our excitement keeps building. Plans are in the works for the first fighter practices and meetings. We recognize it is important to support Society direction in addition to city/county/state health guidelines in implementing a safe return. Thank you to Kingdom Seneschal Galen MacColmain and our Baronial Seneschal Brian Robert MacDougall for your leadership in this transition. Speaking of officers, thanks again to Brian and Quartermaster Avraham for taking time out of your weekend to assess the contents and organization of the baronial storage locker. Armed with this knowledge, we can best utilize our event supplies going forward.

Baron Gerald Kendall

Notice: Baronial Archery Practice Delayed

Due to the targets at Shawnee Mission Park archery field being only partially available until mid-May, we are deferring official practices until May 16th. We will bring portable butts at that time in case renovations are not complete

Master Mathurin Kerbusso

Lorraine Gehring

May 10, 2021, 1:02:59 PMMay 10
to Barony Email List

May 10, 2021

Greetings! And happy belated Mother’s Day!

Whilst our time away from in-person activities, we are reminded time does still march on. As such, we have a growing need for volunteers for officer and deputy officer positions. If you have never served as an officer before, please consider giving back to this great community! It is a fantastic way to meet new people, in addition to knowing more about the members in this glorious Barony. For those who have reached out so far, thank you! Please reach out to us or Seneschal Brian for more details.

Speaking of officers, we have our business-centric Curia meeting this Wednesday, May 12, 2021. Officers are expected, and all are welcome. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Gerald Kendall, Baron Alianora Jehannette des Amandiers, Baroness

Curia on Wednesday, 7 pm

We encourage all new members of the Barony to attend Curia this Wednesday. We will discuss the officer positions that need to be filled as well as plans for returning to in-person local gatherings and fighter practices. We seek input from all members of the Barony for these discussions.

Join with Google Meet:

meet.google.com/epf-qurm-hvr

Join by phone: +1 435-731-4906 (PIN: 835107359)

Contact sene...@bfs-kc.org for more information.

Baronial Archery Practice This Sunday, 1-3 pm

Join us at Shawnee Mission Park archery range this Sunday, May 16, from 1 pm to 3 pm.

You will need a permit from the Shawnee Mission Park office. The cost is $5 for a one-day permit or $15 for an annual permit for Johnson County residents or $7/$20 for non-residents. (Sorry, no crossbows allowed.) Contact Mathurin for more information at archer-...@bfs-kc.org.

Remember to bring your own water and wear a face mask.

Master Mathurin Kerbusso

Online Newcomer Class This Tuesday at 7 pm

A New Member’s First Steps: An Introduction to the SCA for New and Potential Members

Presented by Master Vincent de Vere

Each month we plan on repeating a class designed for new and potential members that covers a brief introduction to the SCA. This class will be in approximately three parts with a break in between each for questions. The total length of the presentation is just over one hour depending on the number of questions people ask.

The class will be offered on Zoom and is open to new members and people interested in learning more about the SCA. Current and experienced members are welcome but are not the target audience. The presentation is family-friendly and all ages are welcome.

Facebook event linked to Zoom presentation: https://fb.me/e/3OZAEgaVn

Lorraine Gehring

May 17, 2021, 1:05:16 PMMay 17
to Barony Email List

May 17, 2021

Greetings! We are looking forward to in-person activities this week and would love to see you at Antioch Park this Wednesday, May 19, 2021. If you have new clothing, show off your hard work! We would love to see it. Please read the Society’s and Kingdom’s directions to ensure everybody’s safety. Please keep an eye on the weather and any cancellation announcements, as we live in the heartland and the weather is subject to change plans.

In preparation, please allow time for inspection of combat gear! Save yourself some hassle and give your kit a once-over. If you have any questions, please reach out to the Knight’s Marshal. Additionally, there is still a need for officer deputies for Seneschal and Exchequer. You can contact the current officer, ourselves and/or Seneschal Brian with any questions you may have. We look forward to seeing you! Kendall and Ali

Kendall and Ali

Real, In-Person Fighter Practice

Weather permitting, this Wednesday, May 19, at 6 pm.

Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Rd, Merriam, KS 66202 (northeast area of the park).

Her Excellency asks that we wear garb to this first get-together. Remember that masks must still be worn (per Society). Bring your own water.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Antioch+Park/@39.0111512,-94.6878447,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x87c0ec579ef2a2c5:0x957706aeba6c83ae!8m2!3d39.0111512!4d-94.685656

Baronial Archery Practice This Sunday, 1-3 pm

Weather permitting, join us at 1 pm Sunday at our new location for archery. Prairie Center is southwest of Olathe. Note: No permits needed.

Bring your own water and wear a mask (until Society says otherwise).

Use the link below for directions. The archery butts are not near the rest of Prairie Center:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Prairie+Center+Archery+Range/@38.8768833,-94.9105365,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x87c0a3ffa072376f:0x6b01e02801880e14!8m2!3d38.8766745!4d-94.9082083

Mathurin Kerbusso

Lorraine Gehring

May 24, 2021, 11:34:28 AMMay 24
to Barony Email List

May 24, 2021

Greetings Barony,

It was such a treat getting to see everyone last week at fighter practice! We were very grateful for the break in the rain so that we could gather and we are looking forward to getting together again on Wednesday nights. We are hoping to see even more of you there as time goes by. With the weather we have been having and being close to the little pond at the park, we want to remind everyone that humans tend to be a tasty treat for chiggers, mosquitos and other insects. A chair or blanket to sit on and a bit of bug spray may help to keep those little nibblers at a distance.

Award Recommendations Needed

His Excellency and I would also like to encourage everyone to start filling out those award recommendations for both Kingdom and Baronial-level awards. Kingdom-level award recommendations can be filled out online at https://www.calontir.org/award-recommendations. Suggestions for Baronial-level awards can be sent to us via the Baronage email at baro...@bfs-kc.org. We invite you to check out the Baronial Level Awards and the meanings of those awards at https://www.bfs-kc.org/about/baronial-awards.

With award recommendations in mind, we are still hoping to design some new scrolls for our fair Barony. If you are interested in creating scroll blanks, adding calligraphy to scroll blanks or designing a scroll with calligraphy on your own, we would love to see and share your creativity, calligraphy and illumination skills with the populace as we award Baronial scrolls. I will bring a table and some art supplies with me to fighter practice as long as we have an interest in participating. Anyone who feels creative or wishes to express themselves is invited to join us as we brainstorm and create Baronial scrolls/artwork.

Baroness Alianora

Barony of Forgotten Sea | SCA Kansas City - Baronial Awards

bfs-kc.org

Real, In-Person Fighter Practice

Weather permitting, this Wednesday, beginning at 6 pm.

Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Rd, Merriam, KS 66202 (northeast area of the park).

Baronial Archery Practice This Sunday, 1-3 pm

We had a good turnout at the Prairie Center Archery Range last Sunday. Nine gentles showed up, and we had the place all to ourselves. Several new folks showed up, including Batilda, Branwen and Ronan, as well as a visitor from the North, THL Galen.

The consensus was to continue meeting at Prairie Center for now. Weather permitting, please join us at 1 pm Sunday Note: No permits are needed at Prairie Center.

Lorraine Gehring

May 31, 2021, 12:17:02 PMMay 31
to Barony Email List

Weekly Announcements

May 31, 2021

Greetings Barony,

His Excellency and I want to take a moment to thank all of our military families as we observe Memorial Day.

As we honor those who gave the greatest sacrifice of all for our freedoms, we also celebrate their families who carry those loved ones in their hearts and celebrate in their memory. We recognize your sacrifices and want to say Thank You from the bottom of our hearts.

Just a few reminders:

·       Masks are required thru the month of June at all gatherings.

·       We have been having wonderfully cool evenings at fighter practice so far and that has really helped to keep our fighters hydrated. Please make sure that you have your personal water supply as the temperatures will surely start to warm up soon.

·       With the rain and having a pond nearby at fighter practice, we have to remember that insects will be out and about. Please make sure that you bring a blanket/chair to give a bit of protection from the grass and maybe a bit of bug deterrent if you so wish.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone at practice again this week!

Baroness Alianora

Fighter Practice

Weather permitting, this Wednesday, beginning at 6 pm.

Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Rd, Merriam, KS 66202 (northeast area of the park).

Bring your own water and wear a mask (until the end of June, per Society). Use the link below for directions.

Please join us at 1 pm Sunday at Prairie Center in Olathe. Note: No permits are needed at Prairie Center.

Bring your own water and wear a mask (until the end of June, per Society).

Lorraine Gehring

Jun 7, 2021, 11:32:32 AMJun 7
to Barony Email List

June 7, 2021

Curia is this Wednesday at Antioch Park at 7 pm

Greetings Barony,

The air is almost buzzing with the excitement of Spring. It’s great seeing a break from the rains and feeling the air warming a bit. Last but not least, the restrictions on gathering and holding events are beginning to lift. We have heard that many of you are planning to travel to Grimfells this coming weekend for the Plague’s End celebration. We would like to remind everyone as they are packing and preparing that the newest relaxing of regulations will not begin until July 1st.

A few things to consider:

·       Please make sure that you have plenty of water available, not only those of you fighting but the entire populace as well. Dehydration is not a laughing matter and can have lasting side effects.

·       Wear your sunscreen and pack your shade hats. It’s been a year since we have been able to play in the sun as a group. We all know that Sunburn is no laughing matter, please take precautions.

·       Natural fibers are your friend, especially in warmer weather. Make sure to take garb (and face masks) that are warm-weather friendly (no poly or rayon blends.)

·       Take more than one face mask, it may be refreshing to change to a new one.

·       Don’t forget to plan for your own meals. There won’t be an inn or feast available.

·       Have fun and remember that it’s OK to take a “people break” and find a quiet spot for yourself for a bit if needed. It’s been a while since we have all been in a large group. If you're comfortable with being in a larger group please remember that others may not be. Ask if it’s ok to join someone if they seem to be enjoying a mask/people break – it’s the chivalrous thing to do.

Baroness Alianora

From the Seneschal

Greetings!

We will be holding our first post-pandemic in-person Curia this week on June 9 at 7 pm at Antioch Park (concurrent with Fighter Practice)!

All are encouraged to attend as we will discuss:

·        New restriction changes

·       Event planning for the remainder of the year, including Kris Kinder!

Good gentles interested in actively supporting the activities of the Barony by filling any of the open deputy officer positions or Kris Kinder staff positions should make every effort to be present. Remember to wear your mask, bring a chair, a beverage and a notebook!

Lord Brian, Seneschal, Barony of Forgotten Sea

In Service to the Crown and Populous of Calontir

Fighter Practice

Weather permitting, this Wednesday, beginning at 6 pm.

Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Rd, Merriam, KS 66202 (northeast area of the park).

Lorraine Gehring

Jun 14, 2021, 12:42:50 PMJun 14
to Barony Email List

Weekly Announcements

June 14, 2021

Greetings! With one kingdom-level event experience behind us, we are reminded of a few things that can enhance your SCA experience. First, please remember many summer events have many activities outside, so please prepare accordingly with sunscreen, bug repellant, keeping your body cool, and hydrating. Second, pace yourself, I can say for myself the cardiac stress of heat should be considered when participating in activities. Finally, remember the cool stuff our friends and family did since March 2020? Award recommendations are available for anybody to submit for anybody else.

Please keep safe and cool!

Kendall and Alianora

Fighter Practice

Weather permitting, this Wednesday, beginning at 6 pm.

Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Rd, Merriam, KS 66202 (northeast area of the park).

Bring your own water and wear a mask (until the end of June, per Society). Use the link below for directions:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Antioch+Park/@39.0111512,-94.6878447,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x87c0ec579ef2a2c5:0x957706aeba6c83ae!8m2!3d39.0111512!4d-94.685656

This link shows you where to find us inside Antioch Park:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/39%C2%B000'37.2%22N+94%C2%B041'00.3%22W/@39.010331,-94.6839692,217m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m13!1m6!3m5!1s0x87c0ec579ef2a2c5:0x957706aeba6c83ae!2sAntioch+Park!8m2!3d39.0111512!4d-94.685656!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d39.01033!4d-94.6834217

Baronial Archery Practice This Sunday, 1-3 pm

(Note: Facebook keeps flagging our archery posts as violating their ban on selling weapons. To avoid their bots, you may see this referred to as “Arial Objects” practice)

Please join us at 1 pm Sunday at Prairie Center in Olathe. Note: No permits are needed at Prairie Center. Also, Prairie Center allows crossbows.

Dorcas or Jean

Jun 14, 2021, 7:04:47 PMJun 14
to Barony Email List
Greetings to the list from Dorcas!

I was planning to bring the Baronial Roll of Arms project to fighter practice this Wednesday.  However, my car will be in the shop, so I can't make it.

See you next week!

D^

Lorraine Gehring

Jun 21, 2021, 12:20:33 PMJun 21
to Barony Email List

Weekly Announcements

June 21, 2021

All SCA in-Person Activities

From the SCA BoD: “Although the SCA complies with all applicable laws to try to ensure the health and safety of our event participants, we cannot eliminate the risk of exposure to infectious diseases during in-person events. By participating in the in-person events of the SCA, you acknowledge and accept the potential risks. You agree to take any additional steps to protect your own health and safety and those under your control as you believe to be necessary.”

This notice applies to all practices and get-togethers mentioned below.

Fighter Practice

Weather permitting, this Wednesday, beginning at 6 pm.

Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Rd, Merriam, KS 66202 (northeast area of the park).

Bring your own water and wear a mask (until the end of June, per Society). Use the link below for directions:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Antioch+Park/@39.0111512,-94.6878447,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x87c0ec579ef2a2c5:0x957706aeba6c83ae!8m2!3d39.0111512!4d-94.685656

This link shows you where to find us inside Antioch Park:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/39%C2%B000'37.2%22N+94%C2%B041'00.3%22W/@39.010331,-94.6839692,217m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m13!1m6!3m5!1s0x87c0ec579ef2a2c5:0x957706aeba6c83ae!2sAntioch+Park!8m2!3d39.0111512!4d-94.685656!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d39.01033!4d-94.6834217

Baronial Archery Practice, Including Crossbows, This Sunday, 1-3 pm

Dorcas or Jean

Jun 23, 2021, 10:33:40 AMJun 23
to Barony Email List
The Roll of Arms project will be at fighter practice tonight!  I'll have a table, a few chairs, and all the paints and unfinished pennants.  If you can bring your own table, we can socially distance and get more stuff done.

D^

Lorraine Gehring

Jun 28, 2021, 12:03:16 PMJun 28
to Barony Email List

June 28, 2021

Greetings Barony,

Just a few gentle reminders for fighter practice this week:

·       We will need to continue to wear masks at Wednesday’s fighter practice. The latest change to the mask policy goes into effect on Thursday, July 1st.

·       Please make sure to sign the contact information sheet when you arrive at fighter practices. It is a requirement that all attendees sign in and leave contact information. This is so that if someone attending fighter practice tests positive for Coronavirus that we have information to contact you and let you know you have been exposed.

His Excellency and I would also like to take a minute and remind everyone that Fall Lilies will be here faster than we realize. With that in mind, we would like to remind everyone that we traditionally sit Gate very early in the War. Please keep in mind that we will be asking for volunteers to help us welcome everyone to our wonderful War of the Lilies – Fall Edition.

Baroness Alianora

From the Seneschal

Greetings unto all good gentles of the Barony!

With the continuing resumption of in-person activities, and the attention we have garnered with our current public gatherings and fighter practices, I feel the need to seek two new positions:

a) Baronial Youth Minister to provide impromptu or planned classes or activities for youth at weekly gatherings and other Baronial Events. This person would need to acquire and maintain a Society background check and would be a Deputy of the Baronial Seneschal.

b) Baronial Youth Combat Marshal to provide guidance, training, and supervision of Youth Combat activities and maintain Youth Combat Loaner Armor/ Weapons. This person would need to acquire and maintain a Society background check and would be a Deputy of the Baronial Knight’s Marshal.

I intend to discuss these proposed positions at July Curia, and I encourage anyone interested or with input on these positions to attend that meeting.

Also, any good gentle currently in an office requiring a Society background check needs to submit to renew such considering many will have expired during the “Quarantine.”

The Background Check Request can be found on the SCA website (sca.org), Membership Documents, Seneschal Documents. Once you have submitted the request please email the Kingdom Seneschal and the Baronial Seneschal to let them know you have done so. If you have any interest in assisting with youth activities, or youth combat, having a current Society Background Check is a bonus.

This is a case of "We can't have too many"!

Finally, Their Excellencies and I encourage everyone to come out and join us every Wednesday, and especially on the second Wednesday of each month. If you can, wear garb and bring your projects!

We are seeing lots of interest from the public at our Antioch Park gatherings.

The more people and more activities we can show and share the more interest we can garner for new gentles to join in our enjoyment.

Brian, Seneschal, Barony of Forgotten Sea

Fighter Practice

Weather permitting, this Wednesday, beginning at 6 pm.

Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Rd, Merriam, KS 66202 (northeast area of the park).

Bring your own water and wear a mask (until the end of June, per Society). Look for more information in a future post.

Baronial Archery Practice

Please join us at 1 pm Sunday at Prairie Center in Olathe. Note: No permits are needed at Prairie Center. Also, Prairie Center allows crossbows.

Bring your own water and wear a mask (until the end of June, per Society).

Look for more information in a future post.

To add news or announcements, please send items to social...@bfs-kc.org or via Facebook Messenger to Lorraine Gehring and webmi...@bfs-kc.org. Thanks!

Lorraine Gehring

Jul 5, 2021, 1:00:42 PMJul 5
to Barony Email List

July 5, 2021

From the Seneschal

No more masks at outdoor fighter practice! The SCA rule expired July 1.

Also, just a quick announcement from the Kingdom Earl Marshal.

“Effective immediately I am removing the prohibition on new authorizations for fighters. We have been doing really well at practices. So you MAY resume authorizing new fighters.

“Also, for youth combat-related marshals: Since we've had a year off, some of our background checks may have expired. Please look at your expiration dates and if they have or are going to expire soon AND you wish to continue as a Youth Marshal with the background check, please go and get those renewed.

“Also, I plan on having the Shafted Combat Archery Rules published by the end of July. Thank you. YIS, Aiden KEM.”

Brian, Seneschal, Barony of Forgotten Sea

Fighter Practice

Weather permitting, this Wednesday, beginning at 6 pm.

Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Rd, Merriam, KS 66202 (northeast area of the park).

Bring your own water and wear a mask (until the end of June, per Society). Look for more information in Wednesday’s post.

Baronial Archery Practice

Please join us at 1 pm Sunday at Prairie Center in Olathe. Note: No permits are needed at Prairie Center. Also, Prairie Center allows crossbows.

Bring your own water and wear a mask (until the end of June, per Society).

Look for more information in the weekend post.

Lorraine Gehring

Jul 12, 2021, 12:02:02 PMJul 12
to Barony Email List

July 12, 2021

Curia is this Wednesday at 7 pm at Antioch Park

More about Curia will be posted later.

From the Seneschal

We still need to fill two new positions:

a) Baronial Youth Minister to provide impromptu or planned classes or activities for youth at weekly gatherings and other Baronial Events.

b) Baronial Youth Combat Marshal to provide guidance, training, and supervision of Youth Combat activities and maintain Youth Combat Loaner Armor/ Weapons.

I intend to discuss these proposed positions Wednesday at Curia, and I encourage anyone interested to attend that meeting. Naturally, since these gentles will work with youth, background checks are required.

Brian, Seneschal, Barony of Forgotten Sea

From the Minister of Arts and Sciences

I am looking for people to teach classes. Please contact me at artsand...@bfs-kc.org, on Facebook or at practice.

HL Ysabel de la Oya

Fighter Practice

Weather permitting, this Wednesday, beginning at 6 pm. Masks are no longer needed but bring your own water.

Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Rd, Merriam, KS 66202 (northeast area of the park. Use the link below for directions:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Antioch+Park/@39.0111512,-94.6878447,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x87c0ec579ef2a2c5:0x957706aeba6c83ae!8m2!3d39.0111512!4d-94.685656

Baronial Archery Practice

Please join us at 1 pm Sunday at Prairie Center in Olathe. Note: No permits are needed at Prairie Center. Also, Prairie Center allows crossbows.

Bring your own water. Look for more information in the weekend post.

Lorraine Gehring

Jul 19, 2021, 1:04:39 PMJul 19
to Barony Email List

Weekly Announcements

July 19, 2021

Greetings Barony,

It was so nice to have so many of you join us for the Curia meeting last week. If you haven’t had a chance to read the minutes of the meeting yet, we encourage you to take a minute and catch up on some of the fun things we have coming up.

Fall Lilies – We will start asking folks to sign up to help with our opening day gate shift soon.

Kris Kinder – We have event stewards who are already working out the details for our first KK since the pandemic shut down. Many hands make light work so please help them by volunteering to sit gate or fill in wherever an extra pair of hands may be needed.

The Trident Inn –This Baronial event is scheduled for March 5th. If you have period games for daytime activities or items that you would like to donate to the auction, please contact Niall so that he knows what to expect for that day. We have had many wonderful auction items donated in the past, and I’m excited to see what the bidding wars will be over this year. Please remember that donated items can be items that have been used or outgrown as well.

We are currently looking for gentles that would like to work with our younger Baronial members. If you are interested in filling the position of Baronial Minister of Youth or Baronial Youth Combat Marshal, please contact Brian, His Excellency Kendall or myself so that we can answer any questions that you may have about those positions.

I am also interested in starting an “artisan circle” at fighter practices to brainstorm/create items for largess for either the Barony or Kingdom. I would love to hear any ideas that you would like to see us work on. I will have a herald announce where to meet once we get to fighter practice and see where everyone has gathered.

Finally, I have found myself being a bit lazy about changing into garb for fighter practices the last few weeks. I plan to be better about this in the future and I challenge those of you who can change before coming to practices to attend in garb as well. I am looking forward to seeing everyone at fighter practice on Wednesday.

Baroness Alianora

Fighter Practice

Weather permitting, this Wednesday, beginning at 6 pm. Masks are no longer needed but bring your own water.

Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Rd, Merriam, KS 66202 (northeast area of the park). Use the link below for directions:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Antioch+Park/@39.0111512,-94.6878447,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x87c0ec579ef2a2c5:0x957706aeba6c83ae!8m2!3d39.0111512!4d-94.685656

Archery Practice

Lorraine Gehring

Jul 26, 2021, 1:02:52 PM (9 days ago) Jul 26
to Barony Email List

Weekly Announcements

July 26, 2021

Greetings Barony,

We would like to remind everyone to check and see if fighter practice is happening or is canceled on Wednesday evening before heading that way. With the temperatures being so high we need to be aware that there is a possibility of cancellation due to extreme temperatures.

We would also express our concern to everyone that no matter what you are doing outside in this weather please hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! If you are experiencing nausea, muscle cramping, headache, fatigue or dizziness please take a break, find shade and slowly drink water/electrolyte sports beverages as these are all symptoms of heat exhaustion and if not tended to can leave to heatstroke. Please don’t try to push too hard and overdo it. Heatstroke is life-threatening and we like having you around.