Bareos News August 2020

Philipp Storz

Aug 13, 2020, 2:26:32 AM8/13/20
to bareos...@googlegroups.com
Hello out there, here are the latest news from the Bareos Developer Lounge:

Security Policy
* We now have a security policy at github: https://github.com/bareos/bareos/security/policy
* If someone wants to report a security issue it can be done using secu...@bareos.org

Filedaemon Plugins
* Now you can backup and restore a remote PostgreSQL Database
* The libcloud Plugin is under development which enables you to backup buckets from
S3 Storage, we are still looking for funders
* The experimental split-jobs plugin partitions (large) filesets into n parts, each of
these n parts can be backed up by an incremental job, the incremental jobs can be
run in parallel. Documentation is available here:

http://download.bareos.org/bareos/experimental/CD/maik-master-split_jobs/BareosMainReference/TasksAndConcepts/Plugins.html#split-jobs-plugin

Storagedaemon Droplet-Backend
* librdoplet now supports RHEL 8 and ships together with bareos, therefore the
additional libdroplet packages are not neccessary anymore

python-bareos
* python-bareos will now also be published on PyPI.org.
It can easily be installed via "pip install python-bareos".

bareos-webui
* File permissions are displayed in the restore file tree now
* Restore Dialog: Restore location and file replacement are now pre-filled with the directive
values from the selected restore job resource
* Search filters for each table column have been introduced
* A range slider has been introduced to adjust the amount of data to be displayed on the job table
* Updated localization

bareos-fuse
* The Bareos contrib package bareos-fuse is also available via PyPI.org.
On Linux it can be used to access Bareos information and backups as a virtual filesystem.
See https://github.com/bareos/bareos-fuse for details.

Configuration Warnings
* The new bconsole command "status configuration" will show you deprecated and
problematic configurations of the Bareos Director.
* All daemons will now display a notification concerning warnings when invoked with "-t".
* Additionally the status commands (status dir, status client, status storage) have been extended
and will notify you if any warnings have been encountered in the daemon's configuration.

Deprecating MySQL
* Starting with Bareos 21, MySQL will not be supported as catalog Database anymore.
To migrate to PostgreSQL use "bareos-dbcopy". See the documentation here:
https://docs.bareos.org/man/bareos-dbcopy.html

Solaris support
* Support for Solaris has been revived. Bareos now compiles on Solaris 11.4 SPARC and x64
* Packages are available in the subscription repositories at https://download.bareos.com/

Current packages with the newest features and fixed bugs are
available in our nightly repos:
https://download.bareos.org/bareos/experimental/nightly/

We would be happy about feedback!

Thank you for using and supporting Bareos and stay tuned for more info soon.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Philipp Storz philip...@bareos.com
Bareos GmbH & Co. KG Phone: +49 221 63 06 93-92
http://www.bareos.com Fax: +49 221 63 06 93-10

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
Geschäftsführer: Stephan Dühr, M. Außendorf,
J. Steffens, P. Storz

Chad William Seys

Aug 13, 2020, 9:22:48 AM8/13/20
to bareos...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philipp,

> * The experimental split-jobs plugin partitions (large) filesets into n parts, each of
> these n parts can be backed up by an incremental job, the incremental jobs can be
> run in parallel. Documentation is available here:

NICE!

BTW, if I google "bareos donation" I don't find a useful hit. :)

C.

Frank Kohler

Mar 30, 2021, 11:02:09 AM3/30/21
to bareos...@googlegroups.com
Dear community!

1. Bareos 20.0.1 released
Bareos 20.0.1 was released. This is a bugfix release. All users of
Bareos 20.0.0 are requested to update.

Major bugs fixed:
- Problems running multiple jobs using python plugins at the same time
- Problems when using spooling onto tape.
- The bareos-filedaemon-postgresql-python-plugin now also is packaged
for debian-familiy OS

For details please refer to the changelog:
https://github.com/bareos/bareos/blob/Release/20.0.1/CHANGELOG.md

2. deprecation of /latest
As a significant number of admins actively decide when to update Bareos
environment to a new version
we choose not to update /latest download link.

Upgrading to a newer Bareos version needs to be well thought out and
requires
preparation and planning on productive systems.

We strongly advice against using the /latest link and probably will
remove it
completely in the future.

3. Early Adopter program for Oracle Linux / OLVM
As we're considering full support for Oracle Linux with OLVM [1] please
get in touch with me directly if you're interested in participating.
[1] https://www.bareos.com/product/certifications/

best,
Frank

Founded in 2012 the Germany-based company offers professional services:
* subscription,
* support,
* consulting and
* co-funding of feature development.

Recommended by EU National governments
worldwide organisations across all sectors use Bareos. Our customers
include public authorities and government departments, small and
medium-sized enterprises as well as companies listed on the DAX /
Fortune 500, e.g. telcos, cloud & service providers, media, education,
energy, finance, automotive and aerospace industries.

--
Frank Kohler
Bareos GmbH & Co. KG

Frank Kohler

Sep 22, 2021, 4:56:37 AM9/22/21
to bareos...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bareos users,

As previously announced, the latest link on the Bareos download servers
will be removed soon. For several months now, it has been pointing to
version 19.2 as a temporary solution, but will be deprecated in a little
while.

We've decided to dispose of the latest link mechanism to ensure that
changing to another major Bareos version is done intentionally and not
automatically by your OS package manager. The reason is simple: there
might be changes between major versions which require manual intervention.

Please adjust the source URL to our repositories as you see fit:

For keeping Bareos 19.2, change the URL
to https://download.bareos.org/bareos/release/19.2/
To upgrade to our current stable release, use
https://download.bareos.org/bareos/release/20/

Further information about installing and upgrading Bareos can be found
in our manual:
https://docs.bareos.org/IntroductionAndTutorial/InstallingBareos.html#install-the-bareos-software-packages

We’ve released Bareos 20.0.3, 19.2.11, and 18.2.12. All three
maintenance releases are available for download in the repositories for
subscription customers. As always, the source code is available in our
GitHub repository.

The main news is: Bareos 20.0.3 now includes packages for Debian 11
(Bullseye). Apart from that, all maintenance releases are bugfix
releases, mainly adressing issues with the WebUI. For example, we’ve
fixed an issue with IPv6 connections between Bareos Director and WebUI
and a problem with an infinite loop when trying to log into the WebUI
with an invalid account. Also, the WebUI is now able to restore to
clients which have spaces in the file name and restore file trees with
backslashes.
Bareos 20.0.3, 19.2.11, and 18.2.12 released

For more information, have a look at the release notes for 19.2.11 and
18.2.12. Detailed information about Bareos 20.0.3 is available in the
Changelog

best,
Frank