Restore from tape failed: not enough memory (Ultrium LTO5)

Konrad

Jul 29, 2023, 10:48:57 AM7/29/23
to bareos-users
Hi,

i recently moved from disc to tape backup with bareos, so my experiences regarding restore are limited to testwise restoring some files and directories.
Moving to another raid, I am trying to restore the whole backup to the new set of discs. Some folders restore ok, but when I want to restore the whole set, I encounter the following error:
"bareos-sd JobId 18: Error: stored/block.cc:981 Read error on fd=5 at file:blk 0:1 on device "Ultrium3000" (/dev/nst0). ERR=Nicht genügend Hauptspeicher verfügbar."

I tried to research and think this is because of mismatching block size, but the block size is fixed in bareos. I use the same install to restore, that was used for backup.

FileStorage.conf:
  Minimum Block Size = 524288
  Maximum Block Size = 524288

I would appreciate to get some hints on how to get on. I am loosing faith in my backup :-(

Konrad

Andreas Rogge

Aug 3, 2023, 8:28:38 AM8/3/23
to bareos...@googlegroups.com
Am 29.07.23 um 16:48 schrieb 'Konrad' via bareos-users:
> "bareos-sd JobId 18: Error: stored/block.cc:981 Read error on fd=5 at
> file:blk 0:1 on device "Ultrium3000" (/dev/nst0). ERR=Nicht genügend
> Hauptspeicher verfügbar."
>
> I tried to research and think this is because of mismatching block size,
> but the block size is fixed in bareos. I use the same install to
> restore, that was used for backup.
>
> FileStorage.conf:
> /Minimum Block Size = 524288
>   Maximum Block Size = 524288/
>
> I would appreciate to get some hints on how to get on. I am loosing
> faith in my backup :-(

As you already found out, you're having a problem with the blocksize.
Would you share the complete configuration for the tape device?

Best Regards,
Andreas
--
Andreas Rogge andrea...@bareos.com
Bareos GmbH & Co. KG Phone: +49 221-630693-86

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
Komplementär: Bareos Verwaltungs-GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Stephan Dühr, Jörg Steffens, Philipp Storz
OpenPGP_0x00314758866BD59E.asc
OpenPGP_signature

Konrad

Aug 3, 2023, 8:58:36 AM8/3/23
to bareos-users
Dear Andreas,

this is the tape part of my config:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SD /etc/bareos/bareos-sd.d/device/FileStorage.conf

Device {
  Name = Ultrium3000
  Media Type = Tape
  Archive Device = /dev/nst0
  LabelMedia = no;                   # lets Bareos label unlabeled media
  Random Access = no;
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  Description = "Tape device. A connecting Director must have the same Name and MediaType."
  Maximum File Size = 50 G
  Maximum Spool Size = 500 G

  Minimum Block Size = 524288
  Maximum Block Size = 524288
  Spool Directory = /media/spool
}

Director:  /etc/bareos/bareos-dir.d/storage/File.conf

Storage {
Name = Tape
Address = localhost
Password = "i won't tell"
Device = Ultrium 3000
Media Type = Tape
Autochanger = no
Maximum Concurrent Jobs =1
}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW: I am using Bareos 22, all services are located in a Proxmox VM, Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS, PCIE passthrough of SAS card

I added the last five lines of the device config to deal with performance issues according to https://www.bareos.com/whitepapers/optimizing-the-tape-speed.pdf
/media/spool is a ramdisk, during that backup mounted with 20GB.

Kind Regards

Konrad

Andreas Rogge

Aug 3, 2023, 11:17:56 AM8/3/23
to bareos...@googlegroups.com
Hi Konrad,

I would remove the "Minimum Block Size" setting, it usually doesn't help
unless you require fixed block sizes (which you don't on an LTO drive).

Your current setting for Maximum Block Size limits the buffer size to
524288 bytes. Apparently your backup was written with a larger block
size, so reading the block fails.
While there is an automatic workaround being implemented in PR #1496
right now it will probably help to simply increase Maximum Block Size.
Maybe start with "Maximum Block Size = 1048576".

Also, please note that in Bareos 23 the default block size will change
in a backwards-compatible manner so that there is no need to configure
block sizes anymore.

Best Regards,
Andreas

Am 03.08.23 um 14:58 schrieb 'Konrad' via bareos-users:
> [...]
> "bareos-sd JobId 18: Error: stored/block.cc:981 Read error on fd=5
> at file:blk 0:1 on device "Ultrium3000" (/dev/nst0). ERR=Nicht
> genügend Hauptspeicher verfügbar."
>
> I tried to research and think this is because of mismatching block
> size, but the block size is fixed in bareos. I use the same install
> to restore, that was used for backup.
>
> FileStorage.conf:
> /Minimum Block Size = 524288
>   Maximum Block Size = 524288/
>
> I would appreciate to get some hints on how to get on. I am loosing
> faith in my backup :-(
>
> Konrad
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bareos-users/ee777a79-9b58-498c-874d-33eb53f7bbb2n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bareos-users/ee777a79-9b58-498c-874d-33eb53f7bbb2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Konrad

Aug 15, 2023, 3:36:35 AM8/15/23
to bareos-users
Hi Andreas,

i`ve spent the last two weeks making quite a lot tests, unfortunetly without success.

The setting of the minimum block size was already there when i recorded the backup initially. Nevertheless I excluded the miniumum statement and increased the maximum one. I always get the same error. What I forgot to mention, this happens always when the tapes get changed. I also tried to record a new backup without minimum/maximum or just a maximum blocksize. Nothing is changed, I get always the memory error.
Any more hints what can be checked?

Best Regards

Konrad

Konrad

Aug 17, 2023, 11:07:44 AM8/17/23
to bareos-users
it also happans directly at the beginning of the restore, I created a new backup and upon restore without even one file extracted...