Is BMOS still active ?

x86novice

Apr 25, 2017, 7:24:35 AM4/25/17
to BareMetal OS
Hello Ian and Everyone,

Been a while since the last post, any further development on bmos ?

Ian Seyler

Apr 26, 2017, 9:57:55 AM4/26/17
to BareMetal OS
Hello,

Yes, the project is still alive (with some changes) but I haven't been posting here.

The "BareMetal OS" project will no longer be updated. Progress has sort of stalled with building a full file system driver and TCP/IP stack in Assembly. Also I've wanted to move the CLI out of the kernel for quite some time.

Going forward I've spun out the kernel into its own project (BareMetal-kernel). This will continue to be written in Assembly and only focus on the bare-bones driver requirements for hardware connectivity. For instance: sending/receiving raw packets via the network, reading/write disk sectors, etc.

A new project, Alloy, will focus on the higher level abstractions like a file system and TCP/IP. It also acts as the minimal interface via command line. Alloy is written in C.

Also, my side project minIP has shown some progress. I was able to compile it for execution on BareMetal without any external C libraries. This resulted in a 6KB (4KB compiled with -Os) binary that contains just enough TCP/IP to serve a webpage.

All the best,
Ian

Love Assembly

May 9, 2017, 10:27:58 PM5/9/17
to bareme...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ian,
Thanks so much for your reply.
I've been caught up with busy life here in Sydney juggling between business and house renovation, just before vacating the house I'd managed to rewrite the CLI; although it still resides within the kernel, however it works well the way I wanted it to and constantly in my mind that your wish to have it outside the kernel will also be fulfilled in a matter of time as I've just moved back in the house and things are in a chaotic stage with little time to settle things down given my daily business activity etc...
My question in the forum was an expression of surprise as there hadn't been any more question since last year but glad to hear some buzzing activity behind the scene there, i am just itchy to get back into assembly programming.

God luck to us all & Have a nice day.

Ian Seyler

May 10, 2017, 12:31:57 PM5/10/17
to BareMetal OS
Sorry, I don't post much here. GitHub shows a pretty good history of what has been happening.

I'm wondering if I should move the "official" BareMetal OS chat to some other platform.

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:27:58 PM UTC-4, x86novice wrote:
Hello Ian,
Thanks so much for your reply.
I've been caught up with busy life here in Sydney juggling between business and house renovation, just before vacating the house I'd managed to rewrite the CLI; although it still resides within the kernel, however it works well the way I wanted it to and constantly in my mind that your wish to have it outside the kernel will also be fulfilled in a matter of time as I've just moved back in the house and things are in a chaotic stage with little time to settle things down given my daily business activity etc...
My question in the forum was an expression of surprise as there hadn't been any more question since last year but glad to hear some buzzing activity behind the scene there, i am just itchy to get back into assembly programming.

God luck to us all & Have a nice day.

x86novice

May 26, 2017, 9:39:27 PM5/26/17
to BareMetal OS
Hello Ian,
Hope all is well.
Just finished migrating cli from within the kernel to its own world away from the kernel, when the cli was a part of the kernel; all apps worked perfectly in both hd & virtualbox environments, however; there is only one hiccup after cli became independent of the kernel namely I keep getting Interrupt 13-General Protection (#GP) or Invalid Opcode (#UD)  upon Exit from all other apps  ! and yet ... the apps always work correctly when cli is a part of kernel &  they're of the same source code as before !?
The independent cli's runtime is @ 200000h while all other apps are @ 400000h
Would appreciate if you are able to point me out to a direction of what to look into in this situation ?

Regards.

Ian Seyler

May 29, 2017, 1:15:56 PM5/29/17
to BareMetal OS
Is that code public somewhere for review?

-Ian

x86novice

Jun 5, 2017, 8:23:38 AM6/5/17
to BareMetal OS
I am away from home for another 2 weeks and will upload it upon my return.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted