Pure64 questions

Tim M

Sep 22, 2015, 1:13:15 PM9/22/15
to BareMetal OS
Hi all,

I am working with a 6 core hyper threaded cpu. Pure 64 does not report the correct core amount except maybe by accident. Each boot it will report a different amount each time. Is this caused by some setting in the BIOS? Are all cores not running all the time?

Next question: Does Pure64 set the cpu up so that the kernel is ran on each core? If I wanted to use it and run my own kernel, how do I get code to run in each kernel? My desires is to run same code in all cores with different inputs.

-Tim

Ian Seyler

Sep 25, 2015, 6:59:07 PM9/25/15
to BareMetal OS
Hi Tim,

How do you mean it reports the core count incorrectly? Are you referring to the status that gets displayed with the core speed and memory available info?

Pure64 parses the ACPI tables (https://github.com/ReturnInfinity/Pure64/blob/master/src/init/acpi.asm) so this could be an issue with the APIC data parsing. The APIC data is used to start the other CPU cores.

Pure64 technically only starts the kernel on one CPU core. All other cores are idle.

-Ian