BMOS hangs on VirtualBox

maha...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2016, 8:35:21 AM1/25/16
to BareMetal OS
Hi,
when I try BMOS on VirtualBox I get:

BMFS MBR v1.0 - Pure64 - done.
Executing...

and here it hangs. Any clue?

Thanks,
Matthisa

Ian Seyler

Jan 25, 2016, 11:45:10 AM1/25/16
to BareMetal OS, maha...@gmail.com
Odd.. so the boatloader found the Pure64 data but it didn't seem to execute anything.

Can you upload the disk image you are using that has this problem? Does the disk image work with QEMU?

-Ian

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 8:35:21 AM UTC-5

Matthias Hahn

Jan 26, 2016, 9:07:02 AM1/26/16
to BareMetal OS, i...@seyler.me
attaching bin folder (including bmfs.image & BareMetal_OS.vdi)

Thanks,
Matthias

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 2:09 PM, <maha...@gmail.com> wrote:
seems I can't add attachments here. Maybe I can send you directly?
and no, qemu doesn't work either. I might well have run into newbies errors. Just tried setup.sh

Thanks,
Matthias
bmfs.tar.xz

maha...@gmail.com

maha...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2016, 9:07:03 AM1/26/16
to BareMetal OS, maha...@gmail.com
No, doesn't work on Qemu (yet). Don't even get to Pure64 there. Unfortunately, BMOS doesn't run from USB so I can't easily test directly on a device (right now mainly laptops available - not that easy to replace disk).
Attaching the image I tried. Was created by "setup.sh". Just tried to get the OS running at all, i.e. should be just plain BMOS with the samples.
Do I miss something (e.g. some special setting at VirtualBox)?
Thanks,
Matthias

Am Montag, 25. Januar 2016 17:45:10 UTC+1 schrieb Ian Seyler:
bmfs.tgz

Ian Seyler

Jan 26, 2016, 7:00:15 PM1/26/16
to BareMetal OS, maha...@gmail.com
OK, thanks! I can't get your disk image to boot either. Can you upload your pure64.sys and kernel64.sys?

I want to do a comparison with mine.

Thanks,
-Ian

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 9:07:03 AM UTC-5:

maha...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2016, 4:27:55 PM1/28/16
to BareMetal OS, maha...@gmail.com
Hi Ian,

thanks a lot for your help.
Both are included in the *.xz tarball (not the *.tgz one).
Just tried again from scratch following your instructions. Same behaviour. In case it plays a role: Fedora 22 x64, 4.1.8  kernel. NASM 2.11.0.6

Thanks,
Matthias

X86Novice

Jan 29, 2016, 7:24:45 AM1/29/16

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 1:07:03 AM UTC+11, maha...@gmail.com wrote:
No, doesn't work on Qemu (yet). Don't even get to Pure64 there. Unfortunately, BMOS doesn't run from USB so I can't easily test directly on a device (right now mainly laptops available - not that easy to replace disk).
Attaching the image I tried. Was created by "setup.sh". Just tried to get the OS running at all, i.e. should be just plain BMOS with the samples.
Do I miss something (e.g. some special setting at VirtualBox)?
Thanks,
Matthias

Hello Matthias, had the same problem first time I used VB a while back, might be worthwhile checking your VB setting that HD must be SATA 0 (first port), I assume that you've also converted the raw image to vdmk format ?
Regards

maha...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2016, 9:22:49 AM1/29/16
to BareMetal OS, maha...@gmail.com
thanks.
IDE (default) -> SATA didn't help.
@vdmk - no, only vdi?

maha...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2016, 9:22:49 AM1/29/16
to BareMetal OS, maha...@gmail.com
interesting: compiled the bare64 and kernel64 on cygwin with a slightly older NASM (2.10) and now I can boot Baremetal under Qemu. Is there a potential regression with NASM 2.10 -> 2.11?

X86Novice

Jan 31, 2016, 4:05:15 AM1/31/16
to BareMetal OS, maha...@gmail.com
I'm using Windows 10 here & disk image is converted to vmdk format for VB.
Tried using Qemu under win10, but unable to find any info relating hd through qemu-img -help, qemu seems more powerful than vb in my opinion.
I had no idea that current version of bmos still caters for ide at all, obviously I'm wrong.