Hardware Pseudo Virtualization feature

massimilian...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2016, 7:22:33 PM6/30/16
to BareMetal OS
Hello,

is more time that nobody write on this group.

Other default feature of BMOS act as desktop and/or server environment is possible implementing feature for baremetal virtualization ?

for example :

a machine that have 2 real CPU or core
8 GB of RAM

BMOS split this hardware in 2 real machine

4 GB of RAM for each operating system

On 1st CPU run BMOS
On 2nd CPU (that operate on virtual machine) run host operating system (for example OpenBSD)

Virtual machine is not emulated but machine code of host operating system is passed directly to 2nd CPU.

BMOS manage access sharing of I/o devices , network card, audio, video etc.

Is possible implementing it ?

Ian Seyler

Jun 30, 2016, 7:28:12 PM6/30/16
to BareMetal OS, massimilian...@gmail.com
Yes, this functionality is possible but there is no code at the moment that would cover this kind of scenario. One side project (Parallax) was used to divide the system into multiple computers with virtual MAC addresses. Each CPU core could run its own network enabled program.

-Ian

42Bastian

Jul 1, 2016, 2:58:25 AM7/1/16
to bareme...@googlegroups.com
Hi Massimiliano

> Virtual machine is not emulated but machine code of host operating system
> is passed directly to 2nd CPU.
>
> BMOS manage access sharing of I/o devices , network card, audio, video etc.

So you want to use BMOS as Hypervisor to control the hardware?

There is a difference between a Virtual Machine and an Hypervisor. The
later is simpler, as you rely on real hardware but just control access.

--
42Bastian

massimilian...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2016, 8:44:43 AM7/4/16
On Friday, 1 July 2016 01:28:12 UTC+2, Ian Seyler wrote:

..Parallax was used to divide the system into multiple computers with virtual MAC addresses.

If I search this project appear only "distributed storage for virtualization".

What is exact URL ?

massimilian...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2016, 8:44:43 AM7/4/16
to BareMetal OS
On Friday, 1 July 2016 08:58:25 UTC+2, 42Bastian wrote:

So you want to use BMOS as Hypervisor to control the hardware?

There is a difference between a Virtual Machine and an Hypervisor.

Usually you create a virtual machine by a software that run on a exists operating system. All that there is inside of it is emulated,  runtime decrease. Also operating system (for example desktop type) that run on bare metal machine reduce resources (in terms of cpu, ram etc.) that may be available for virtual machine.

On Hypervisor operating systems you can only use host operating systems from remote.

While BMOS run on bare metal machine I should can switch to Ubuntu Desktop (installed on virtual machine created by BMOS Hypervisor) on local, using video/sound card etc. output of BMOS bare metal.

Is a scenario that may can change the evolution of Bare Metal Operating System.