BMOS Hangs during boot/init on Dell D830

JC

Jan 23, 2016, 9:06:48 PM1/23/16
to BareMetal OS
Hello, I have tried running BMOS on a Dell D830 and it ends up hanging after it displays the cores, memory, and hdd. All it shows for the hard drive is " [hdd: "
Nothing after the colon, just blank.
Thanks.

JC

Jan 23, 2016, 11:18:03 PM1/23/16
to BareMetal OS
Just wondering if anyone had any idea of what the problem could be?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Ian Seyler

Jan 25, 2016, 11:47:11 AM1/25/16
to BareMetal OS, rhema...@gmail.com
What version of BareMetal/Pure64 are you using? Pure64 doesn't display the hard drive size anymore.

-Ian

Ian Seyler

Jan 25, 2016, 11:50:31 AM1/25/16
to BareMetal OS, rhema...@gmail.com
Is the hard drive controller in the BIOS set to AHCI mode or legacy mode?

-Ian

rhema...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2016, 9:07:02 AM1/26/16
to BareMetal OS, rhema...@gmail.com
I am using the latest Pure64 and BareMetal off of GitHub.
Also, have BIOS set to AHCI.
I tried ATA mode, but I just get a blank screen.

rhema...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2016, 9:07:03 AM1/26/16
to BareMetal OS, rhema...@gmail.com
Also, just to give you a little more info, not sure if this will help or not.
I am using windows with nasm, and partcopy to write to the disk.
I initially was using Linux Mint on VMWare Player. I followed the instructions/commands to download and install nasm, qemu, etc. and it worked great with qemu. I had a working version of BMOS rather quickly. But when I attached a physical hard drive to VMware running Linux mint, and used dd to copy to the drive, the laptop would fault and keep rebooting over and over.
So I used a virtual machine(also VMWare Player) that I have with windows 98 on it, and attached the physical drive to it and used partcopy to write the files to the disk. Seemed to work better, because it wasn't rebooting anymore.
Only now it just hangs for some reason.
Using partcopy, I wrote pure64.sys to offset 0x2000 on the disk and kernel64.sys to offset 0x3800 on the disk. Not sure if any of this helps or not, but thanks for any help.

rhema...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2016, 9:44:48 AM1/27/16
to BareMetal OS, rhema...@gmail.com
I have traced the problem to ahci.asm

It is stuck in the poll loop of iddrive:

iddrive_poll:
 mov eax, [rsi+0x38]
 cmp eax, 0
 jne iddrive_poll