VGA

Lotusdew Wealth

Apr 11, 2024, 1:13:42 PMApr 11
to BareMetal OS
Hi all,

I was looking at the code of video.asm in the code and it seems it only works with QEMU and VirtualBox signatures. Is this correct understanding ?

init_video_check_id:
sub rsi, 8 ; Move RSI back to start of Bus record
mov edx, [rsi] ; Load value for os_bus_read/write

mov dl, 0 ; Register 0 for Device/Vendor IDs
xor eax, eax
call os_bus_read
cmp eax, 0x11111234 ; QEMU/ Bochs
je init_video_found_bga
cmp eax, 0xBEEF80EE ; VirtualBox
je init_video_found_bga
jmp init_video_done

Will the signtures of actual hardware be similar or we need to modify the code here ?

Ian Seyler

Apr 12, 2024, 7:43:59 AMApr 12
to BareMetal OS
That is correct. Theoretically we should be able to change resolution after boot up with the BGA driver. Otherwise the video parameters are set during boot up.

-Ian