Stuck on OK prompt

Syed Ali Hyder

Apr 9, 2024, 2:19:30 PMApr 9
to BareMetal OS
Hello,
I am trying to efi boot from a usb stick, and I am stuck at an OK prompt, nothing happens until I pull the power plug to shutdown.
to create the usb drive, I have put BOOTX64.EFI under /EFI/BOOT with usb drive formatted as an efi system partition.
any help is appreciated.
Thanks and regardsWhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 6.33.23 PM.jpeg

Ian Seyler

Apr 12, 2024, 7:42:02 AMApr 12
to BareMetal OS
I will take a look into this. UEFI support is somewhat experimental at this point.

Ian Seyler

Apr 12, 2024, 5:17:58 PMApr 12
to BareMetal OS
I am able to duplicate this issue on a system here and will investigate.

-Ian

Ian Seyler

Apr 14, 2024, 6:28:37 PMApr 14
to BareMetal OS
I have created a branch of Pure64 called UEFI-only. I am working on the UEFI init code there and the branch will be merged into master once I get things stabilized.

As all recent systems use UEFI it doesn't seem useful to continue to support BIOS (or compatibility) mode.

I was able to boot from USB on an Intel NUC and execute some commands that are built into BareMetal-Monitor.
IMG_5663.jpeg

-Ian

Syed Ali Hyder

Apr 17, 2024, 7:25:38 AMApr 17
to BareMetal OS
Hello Ian,
Thanks for looking into it, I have downloaded and complied the new bootloader, and now I am able to go beyond the OK prompt, I can see some colors flashing and I get the following gibberish onto the screen.
bmos_booting_uefi.jpeg
-Ali

Ian Seyler

Apr 17, 2024, 10:13:50 AMApr 17
to BareMetal OS
That is the BareMetal Monitor so the system did boot into the kernel. What is happening is that the actual screen resolution does not match what BareMetal thinks it is so all of the text is offset. Making progress at least.

A few questions:
What are the spec of that system?
Did it boot via BIOS or UEFI?
Did the keyboard work?