It's go time!

Eric Skiff

Mar 23, 2010, 1:44:06 PM3/23/10
to barca...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay, things got a little crazy, and then I was away on a trip with work last week, but I'm back now and will be pushing hard until the date to make this a great event!

We're now less than a month away from BarCampNYC5, and it's time to really get the ball rolling. We have 39 people signed up for sat and 33 for sunday with virtually no publication as of yet. I have no doubt we will easily "sell out" the tickets and have to move to a waitlist.

Here's a few questions I have for the group:
  • Who, ideally, would we like to see attend / present
    • Personally, I would like to target smart people who are actively doing cool stuff, and willing to share, as opposed to a more general conference audience. Anyone agree / disagree? How best can we get in touch with those folks?
  • Snacks
    • Water / coffee / some munchies?
    • This is generally a really good idea - we emptied the Microsoft water cooler in about 1 hour last time (oops!).
    • There will be a moderate budget for this - anyone want to take point?
    • a few of our sponsors prefer to bring snacks, I'll see if I can persuade them to do that again :)
  • Meals?
    • I'm personally of a mind that people can figure out their own food. In a pinch, and if we have cash, we can order some papa johns or something, but I don't see this as critical
    • If anyone would like to make this happen, please speak up now! :)
  • Sponsorship
    • I've got $1000 in verbal commitments at the moment, and will be sending my email blast out today. I think we can safely assume $2500 rough budget
  • TShirts
    • MSG, did this go out to the Aviary community?
    • If not, what would people think about doing a simple "return to our roots" T-Shirt with the Barcamp flame with a NYC Skyline inside, and "BarCampNYC5" on it?
    • We had way too many shirts 2 years ago. Everyone cool with limiting the number, and making these "first come first serve" each day to get people to show up on time?
  • On-the-day coordinators?
    • is anyone up for being a "day of event" coordinator for saturday, sunday, or both? I'll be doing a bit of this, but there should definitely be at least 2 of us :) This means things like buying paper and putting up the grid, fixing projectors, putting out minor fires, coordinating registration, etc.
  • Emails to attendees
    • Should we send a few blast emails to attendees? My thinking is 1 per week, with one final email the friday before the event.
      We'd include general info, encourage them to get their talks ready, put info on the wiki, and spread the word.
    • We could also solicit more volunteers :)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Any other questions or thoughts from the group? Meeting up physically has been especially hard for me this time around, so I'm happy to work over email - if it's not working for anyone, let me know, and we'll figure out a time that works for us to get together.

Thanks!
-Eric

--
Eric Skiff
http://ericskiff.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/ericskiff | NYC Resistor: http://NYCResistor.com

Giuseppe Turitto

Mar 23, 2010, 5:08:56 PM3/23/10
to BarCampNYC5
Regarding T-shirts, I will print only 120 T-shirts, so it will be an
incentive to be there early.
I can help during the Day, by now I am thinking to attend both day's
but for sure I will be there on Saturday. We will need a small crew to
keep the place clean. you know take care of the garbage, and thing's
like that, we want to be good guests so we can enjoy MS facilities
another time.

Don't worry about the meals, I think everyone can go out for lunch (a
lot of options around the area, some good and expensive, some good and
really inexpensive, others very mediocre, and not worth it, but hey
that depends on your palate and gastronomic preferences). About Pizza,
ask Peter where do the .NET Users Group order the Pizzas, I know that
those are the best (I can ask somebody else that knows).

Yes let's send E-mail blasting once a week, and I think it will be
better the last one on Wednesday, before the event. Since you have to
deliver the List of attendees for the Building Security, by not latter
than the Friday morning before the event (preferably by Thursday
noon), so they can set this in their system. If not we will have
problems to get in there.

On Mar 23, 1:44 pm, Eric Skiff <glitchc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

>       at least 2 of us :) This means things like buying paper and
> putting up the
>       grid, fixing projectors, putting out minor fires, coordinating
> registration,
>       etc.

>    - Emails to attendees
>       - Should we send a few blast emails to attendees? My thinking is 1 per

>       week, with one final email the friday before the event.
>       We'd include general info, encourage them to get their talks ready,
>       put info on the wiki, and spread the word.

>       - We could also solicit more volunteers :)

> That's all I can think of at the moment. Any other questions or thoughts
> from the group? Meeting up physically has been especially hard for me this
> time around, so I'm happy to work over email - if it's not working for
> anyone, let me know, and we'll figure out a time that works for us to get

Dean 'at' Cognation 'dot' Net

Mar 25, 2010, 11:20:32 AM3/25/10
to BarCampNYC5

> >    - Sponsorship
> >       - I've got $1000 in verbal commitments at the moment, and will be
> >       sending my email blast out today. I think we can safely assume
> > $2500 rough budget

Whats the status on sponsorship guys? I didn't get an email from the
organisers even though i sponsored last year.

I'd be happy to kick in $100 this year again under the guise of
http://www.LiveBaseballChat.com

let me know when and where to paypal the money.

Cheers,
Dean

Eric Skiff

Mar 25, 2010, 11:42:20 AM3/25/10
to barca...@googlegroups.com
I'm figuring out some banking logistics, and will be sending out letters asap once that is square!

-E

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to barcampnyc5+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.
What I'm Reading: http://rigeekulous.amplify.com | Twitter: http://twitter.com/ericskiff | NYC Resistor: http://NYCResistor.com

Christopher Ricca

Mar 25, 2010, 11:48:46 AM3/25/10
to barca...@googlegroups.com
Venmo!

Dan Lurie

Mar 26, 2010, 2:02:31 AM3/26/10
to BarCampNYC5
I've been remiss in not being as involved in the organizing up to this
point as I'd have liked, but if we still need day-of coordinators, I'm
down for both days.

Eric Skiff

Mar 26, 2010, 10:07:53 AM3/26/10
to barca...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks Dan - We're all very busy this time around, so no worries! Day-of help will be very very appreciated :)

-E

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to barcampnyc5+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.
What I'm Reading: http://rigeekulous.amplify.com | Twitter: http://twitter.com/ericskiff | NYC Resistor: http://NYCResistor.com

Peter Laudati

Mar 27, 2010, 11:39:59 AM3/27/10
to barca...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

I volunteer to take point on food. I've got a good concept on what costs are.

btw... count MS in for $500 in sponsorship. (not sure if you were already doing that in your $1000 'so far' estimate?)  I may be able to finagle a few bucks more.

Using my car, we can do snacks/fruit/pastries from BJ's over in Jersey City like we did last year at reasonable costs.  I think that was in the neighborhood of $400?

Dunkin coffee & donuts and/or bagels from my local shop in Jersey is about $350 for 150 ppl if folks... scales to ~$550 for 250.  (Coffee is $14/box which serves 10ppl, donuts&bages are $8/dozen, plus 15% tip on total order)

Pizza is $15/pie from Pronto pizza which we order from often.  At 2 slices/person avg, that's 38 pies or 150ppl = $570 + 80tip = $650. If you include soda/water, it's about $17/pie.  But we can save on that by buying soda/water in cases from BJs instead. Water is $5/case of 24. I'm forgetting what soda runs for at the moment, but can figure it out.

Let me know what folks want to do for food and what the total budget is, and I'll figure out how to squeeze as much out of it as I can. :)

If we didn't provide meals, there are restaurants in the area.  Heartland Brewery is across the street. Le Pain Quotiden and some other sandwich shops are on 51st btwn 6th & 7th. Plus, lots of mom & pop restaurants on 46th or 55th to the north & south of us between 5th & 6th ave.  (MS office is on 6th btw 51st & 52nd.)

One note... on building logistics.  The building security is VERY tight these days. All folks need to be registered and entered into the system 24 hours ahead of event time, including organizers.  Whoever is managing registration should work with me closely to be sure that hand off of names to the building folks happen.  If folks who are "not registered" show up, they will be turned away unless an employee with a building badge personally "vouches" for them in the lobby. As of now, that would be either myself or my teammate Rachel Appel while at the event. However, as I'll likely be running around making sure other logistic stuff is working day of event, I wouldn't count on me being available on demand in the building lobby. :)

-Peter

Tony Bacigalupo

Mar 27, 2010, 11:49:26 AM3/27/10
to barca...@googlegroups.com

Excellent, great work Peter!

PS NWC is in for $100!

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Eric Skiff <glitc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Awesome, thanks D...

Giuseppe Turitto

Mar 27, 2010, 2:07:11 PM3/27/10
to barcampnyc5
Can we have Spaghetti and Meatballs?

(Just Kidding ;-) ) Guy's I really stand for the Pizza, I can say,
it's one of the best pizza in New York.

Regards,
Giuseppe Turitto

Giuseppe Turitto

Mar 28, 2010, 1:51:05 PM3/28/10
to barcampnyc5
Should we have a meeting? I have the feeling that we are so close that
we need to start get pretty organized to be in top of all the details
to take care.

Regards,
Giuseppe Turitto