scope of presentations

Yannick Gingras

Oct 27, 2007, 4:03:25 AM10/27/07
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com

Greetings BarCampers,
I've never attended a BarCamp; I looked at the wiki but I still can't
find what's the scope of the presentations, or even what BarCamp is
all about.

Are we considering stand-up with projector kind of talks or round
table kind of presentations? The schedule also seems quite full;
what's the length of presentations?

I saw that many of you make heavy use of wikis; a quick intro to my
new wiki engine might be on topic:

http://ygingras.net/b/2007/10/a-new-kind-of-wiki

Regards,

--
Yannick Gingras

Sylvain Carle

Oct 27, 2007, 8:21:31 AM10/27/07
to barcampmontreal
Salut Yannick! Tu peux certainement présenter ton engin de wiki. Je
dirais que le "topic" des présentation de barcamp c'est : présenter
une idée, un concept, partager ta passion (reliée à la technologie au
sens très large, geek de politique, d'histoire, de design ou de code
sont similaires selon moi).

Le présentation sont limitées à 15 minutes chacunes pour permettre une
plus grande diversité et garder un "beat" intéressant. Un des focus de
cette édition sera de laisser un peu plus de temps libre durant la
journée et d'avoir un "deuxième stage" pour des rencontres de petits
groupes sur des sujets impromptus... ou simplement des discussions
entre les participants.

Yannick Gingras

Oct 27, 2007, 9:23:14 AM10/27/07
Sylvain Carle <sylvai...@gmail.com> writes:

> Le présentation sont limitées à 15 minutes chacunes pour permettre une
> plus grande diversité et garder un "beat" intéressant. Un des focus de
> cette édition sera de laisser un peu plus de temps libre durant la
> journée et d'avoir un "deuxième stage" pour des rencontres de petits
> groupes sur des sujets impromptus... ou simplement des discussions
> entre les participants.

Excellent! Qu'est-ce qu'on a côté technologique? Projecteur?
Tableau avec généreuse quantité de craies/feutres? Connexions pour
démos live sur le Web? Dois-je fournir un portable ou est-ce possible
de seulement apporter des slides en PDF sur une clée USB?

--
Yannick Gingras

Evan Prodromou

Oct 27, 2007, 2:45:16 PM10/27/07
On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 05:21 -0700, Sylvain Carle wrote:

> Le présentation sont limitées à 15 minutes chacunes pour permettre une
> plus grande diversité et garder un "beat" intéressant.

One of the things we're adding in this year is a diversity of different
kinds of talks, which you can read a little more about here:

http://barcampmontreal.org/wiki/BarCampMontreal3_registrants

We plan on doing the following kinds of talks:

1. Presentations. 15-minute talks with a projector and sound
system. Should be "by builders, for builders": sharing passion
about a subject. No ads, no pitches, please!
2. Lightning talks. 5-minute talks to alert the audience to a
subject you care about. Slides OK, or not, but not enough time
for questions.
3. Elevator pitch. <1 minute to make your pitch to the audience.
Funny or fake pitches welcome, but this is your time to make the
sale.
4. Birds-of-a-feather meetings. In another room, parallel to the
presentations, we'll have an area for peer-to-peer or social
talks by people interested in a particular topic.

I think with a wide variety of kinds of talk, we can really hope to get
close to 100% participation by everyone who's at BarCampMontreal3.

-Evan

Denis Canuel

Oct 27, 2007, 6:44:56 PM10/27/07
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick note/suggestion about the upcoming BarCamp Canada. If we have a lot of people then perhaps we could do "tracks" just like big events.
Not sure if SAT allows simultaneous presentations or not (projectors - yes, but noise-wise..?)

-d

Evan Prodromou

Oct 28, 2007, 11:50:03 AM10/28/07

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 18:44 -0400, Denis Canuel wrote:
> Just a quick note/suggestion about the upcoming BarCamp Canada. If we
> have a lot of people then perhaps we could do "tracks" just like big
> events.
> Not sure if SAT allows simultaneous presentations or not (projectors -
> yes, but noise-wise..?)

It's definitely a good idea and I think it's in the plans for
BarCampCanada1. If there's need, I think we can make space at SAT --
it's pretty big and it has moving curtains just for this kind of thing.

-Evan

Yannick Gingras

Oct 29, 2007, 1:51:42 PM10/29/07
Evan Prodromou <ev...@prodromou.name> writes:

> We plan on doing the following kinds of talks:
>
> 1. Presentations. 15-minute talks with a projector and sound
> system. Should be "by builders, for builders": sharing passion
> about a subject. No ads, no pitches, please!
> 2. Lightning talks. 5-minute talks to alert the audience to a
> subject you care about. Slides OK, or not, but not enough time
> for questions.

> [...]

Sounds good. I'll work on my slides and see how long I can talk but I
think I have enough content for a 15 mins presentation. I won't have
a laptop handy; is there anyone who could let me use his machine for a
presentation? My slides are PDF so any OS will do fine.

--
Yannick Gingras

Evan Prodromou

Oct 29, 2007, 1:56:25 PM10/29/07

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 13:51 -0400, Yannick Gingras wrote:

> Sounds good. I'll work on my slides and see how long I can talk but I
> think I have enough content for a 15 mins presentation. I won't have
> a laptop handy; is there anyone who could let me use his machine for a
> presentation? My slides are PDF so any OS will do fine.

If you get really stuck I'll have a computer handy.

-Evan