Bank and Finance Watch Social Research Tools

1 view

Sam Rose

Oct 8, 2008, 9:12:52 AM10/8/08
to BarCampBank
I see that it is still being used: http://bfwatch.barcampbank.org/?q=node/277

I have neglected this for a while (sorry life has thrown me a series
of curveballs). But, I'd like to schedule some time starting in
December to upgrade and update it.

For one thing, there are ways that people could add entries in with a
bookmarklet from their browser. Plus, there are lots of ways now with
Drupal's Views and Panels that we can display this stuff in more
meaningful and useful ways.

The other thing that we never did was create a workable voting system,
nor did we ever create the indexes we were looking to create to rate
different companies on different factors. I would say realistically
that I could probably complete all of that in my spare time by around
March 2009 if folks are interested.

What do you all think? There was a time when this was just a wiki
page, but it was the most visited and edit part of our original wiki
long ago. Right now it is mostly a list of startup companies, (which
is great) but could also be a way to track emerging phenomenon that
mayb not be a company, but rather also a pattern that is used to solve
problems (like http://communitywiki.org/CommunityWikiBank for
instance)

Also, I have devised ways to send data from Drupal to Flex, and we
could create some graphical ways to analyze data that we are putting
in to the system, netwok graphs based on keyword connections, map
overlays, or eventually ways to combine data from several sources kind
of like what you see with http://simile.mit.edu/exhibit/ for
instance.

I am interested to know what the community would find interesting
here. I really enjoyed helping to build the original http://bfwatch.barcampbank.org
and if you all are still interested in it, I'd like to contribute some
more...

Frederic Baud

Oct 8, 2008, 10:43:01 AM10/8/08
to BarCampBank
Hi Sam,

I think that B&F Watch could certainly scale up to the next level.
While we have not had many contributors, I believe that consultation
has been relatively satisfactory. B&F Watch also turns out to be quite
well referenced on Google. Now, I don't know if the main challenge to
bring B&F Watch to the next is technological or organizational. But
that could be interesting to see if we can induce more participation
through new or updated features.

You are of course very welcome to change things on the site.

Cheers,

Frederic

Frederic Baud

Nov 25, 2008, 4:58:42 AM11/25/08
to BarCampBank, samue...@gmail.com
Sam,

I think that we should try to make Open Id work on the different
BarCampBank sites (wikis, B&F Watch). Strange thing is that new people
regularly create accounts on B&F Watch, but do not post (or even
reconnect under their newly created account). I don't know if they
want to be referenced for anticipated mail communications, but we
should test if implementing Open Id will convince some people to post
without having to create an account.

Cheers,

Frederic

Samuel Rose

Nov 25, 2008, 10:50:44 AM11/25/08
to Frederic Baud, BarCampBank
Huh, mayb you could let them also opt-in to a newsletter that rounds up all of your BarCampBank activities. Even better...ask them what *they* want :).....
--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy

"There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don't."

Robert Benchley, Benchley's Law of Distinction

Frederic Baud

Nov 25, 2008, 12:16:13 PM11/25/08
to BarCampBank
I don't know if we have regular material for a news letter. This group
is supposed to cover some of this. Maybe I could organize a mail to
all the B&FW users to entice them subscribing to this group.

Thx,

Frederic