My talk on Agile Banking at Reboot

Pelle Braendgaard

Jun 27, 2009, 12:28:02 PM6/27/09
to barca...@googlegroups.com
I gave a talk on what I call Agile Banking at the Reboot conference in
Denmark that just finished. You can see the presentation here:

http://stakeventures.com/articles/2009/06/25/agile-banking-talk

I will be posting a more blog friendly version of it over the next
couple of days.

It's taking a fairly practical approach and I've also set up a google
group to try and bring some of these things to fruition.

http://groups.google.com/group/agile-banking

It would be great to hear opinions from others.

Regards

Pelle

--
http://agree2.com - Reach Agreement!
http://extraeagle.com - Solutions for the electronic Extra Legal world

Frederic Baud

Jun 27, 2009, 2:48:40 PM6/27/09
to BarCampBank
Hi Pelle,

Just browsed through your set of slides and looking forward to the
video.

In a timely manner, there's an article titled "Deliver us from
competition" in The Economist this week investigating a very different
solution - http://www.economist.com/businessfinance/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13900071

I'm very worried that regulators won't be keen letting any innovation
happen as long as we don't have a decent concept for a "sandbox" for
innovations in banking and finance. I believe that we may have a way
of defining a sandbox within the limits of operations with small
impact. While all innovations will necessarily start on a small scale
and have a small aggregated impact, they may nevertheless have a very
large impact for a small number of individuals (couple of people
ruined by taking too much risks with the new instrument). This, I
believe, may be very hard to swallow for regulators and why they
prefer to kill any innovations in the nest.

At this stage, I don't know if community currencies might be a way to
create the kind of sandbox I just mentioned, and let a new financial
system fully develop before being transfered under the regulators
supervision. But I agree we should open up the discussion and come up
with clear concepts that could satisfy regulators the way they
currently operate.

Cheers,

Frederic

On Jun 27, 6:28 pm, Pelle Braendgaard <pel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I gave a talk on what I call Agile Banking at the Reboot conference in
> Denmark that just finished. You can see the presentation here:
>
> http://stakeventures.com/articles/2009/06/25/agile-banking-talk
>
> I will be posting a more blog friendly version of it over the next
> couple of days.
>
> It's taking a fairly practical approach and I've also set up a google
> group to try and bring some of these things to fruition.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/agile-banking
>
> It would be great to hear opinions from others.
>
> Regards
>
> Pelle
>
> --http://agree2.com- Reach Agreement!http://extraeagle.com- Solutions for the electronic Extra Legal worldhttp://stakeventures.com- Bootstrapping blog

Thomas Barker

Jul 5, 2009, 10:14:37 AM7/5/09
to barca...@googlegroups.com
I had some similar thoughts <http://thomasbarker.com/09/06/banking-centre-banks-periphery

(Already been told it's too long, so I might break it down into 4
snappier posts :-) )

It seems in finance that esoteric markets are left very free (too free
considering the gov. backstop), but retail is always clamped down on.
Perhaps systems that can carry their own value, e.g. not rely on
sitting on the existing retail payments infrastructure are going to
have an easier time than e-gold & co. An Agree2 with transferable
notes rather than single contracts is intriguing...

Also, those of you in London on the 22nd might be interested in the
next meetup I'm running

Finance is like the music industry in the 90's
<http://www.meetup.com/openfinanceclub/calendar/10793174/>

The guy who did Zopa's initial branding is speaking. And the hummus
is good there too!

Cheers,
Thomas

P.S. I'm one of Fredric's co-organisers for BarCampBankLondon, which
why I'm on the list. And I used to work on Zopa's IT which how I know
the branding guy.