A call to action

1 view

Joe Edelman

Oct 24, 2008, 11:55:41 AM10/24/08
to barca...@googlegroups.com
As the economy founders, I'm surprised there hasn't been traffic
on this list. Isn't this our moment? The time to innovate?

What can us web 2.0 folks can do about the global economic
situation? A lot, I think.

I'm trying to start a conversation about this at
http://whatspossible.wordpress.com. I'd love it if some
barcampbank people want to write something, or just to send me
some links about tech innovation in response to the crisis that I
don't know about yet.

I'm also interested in gathering leaders in this world. People
from ZeroMQ, Proper, etc.

After we spend a few weeks looking at what solutions are in
progress, our next step will be to create a funding vehicle for
real alternatives that are capable of growing quickly, so some
of the money being invested to try to save our economic world
can be invested in the growth of real, technology-mediated
alternatives, foundations for a new economy, rather than in
propping up old, failing institutions.

--Joe
"Technologists Working fot a Viable Global Economy"
http://whatspossible.wordpress.com

--
J.E. -- http://nxhx.org -- 413.250.8007

Sam Rose

Nov 30, 2008, 1:49:12 PM11/30/08
to BarCampBank, Steve Bosserman
I have been very busy with http://localfoodsystems.org project, and as
we scale up, we'll really need contribution by BarCampBank folks.

One thing in particular that I am exploring is how to incorporate
smaller, more flexible credit union systems in to local food systems.

I think it is safe to say that if banking were more distributed
(especially among cooperatives) that we would not be in the situation
of needing to bail out banks with hundreds of billions of dollars.

So, the questions we are looking at are: what will it take to create
credit unions and new financial infrastructure for local food systems
(in the US, realizing that our friends in France and Europe, Asia, and
elsewhere, have a whole different ballgame going on)? Do we have what
we need with existing laws and regulation?

Also, what does regulation allow for within the scope of investing on
local levels. I am aware of investing clubs affordance by the SEC
http://sec.gov/investor/pubs/invclub.htm for instance

We will quickly be to the point where we will begin testing out these
ideas in the real world, and we are hoping for advice from this
knowledgeable community, and in turn, we want to help you create and
sustain better local food systems and economies/ecologies in your
locations. I think a lot of what we have explored here in BarCampBank
over the years is directly applicable to the emerging opportunity of
local food systems

Over the next few weeks, we'll be doing some organized inquiries, and
will include BarCampBank in those, and will copy findings to the
http://barcampbank.or wiki. I can also see opportunities for fundcamp
oriented activities here too, in terms of the model of mentoring ideas-
to-business-models-to-plans, and seeking initial investment from local
community.

On Oct 24, 10:55 am, Joe Edelman <joe.edel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As the economy founders, I'm surprised there hasn't been traffic
> on this list. Isn't this our moment? The time to innovate?
>
> What can us web 2.0 folks can do about the global economic
> situation? A lot, I think.
>
> I'm trying to start a conversation about this athttp://whatspossible.wordpress.com. I'd love it if some

J Margolin

Nov 30, 2008, 2:17:35 PM11/30/08
to barca...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all.
I've also blogged a bit about how to rethink on my blog Solvation, for example these two recent posts.

WANTED: Financial Pros with Firm Will
SoCap08 - Financial Return Maximization is Absurd

-J
-Jessica Margolin