Coyote STEAM Festival Oct 16th South San Jose - wanna help?

Elise Engelhardt

Sep 11, 2021, 9:34:36 PM9/11/21
to bar...@googlegroups.com
Hey Barcampers!  Anyone local to the SF Bay Area interested in helping me throw this thing together?

Coyote STEAM Festival

Event Date: October 16, 2021 11am-5pm then afterparty.

Location: Coyote Grange Hall, 8140 Monterey Road, South San Jose (Coyote)

Room for up to 200 people.

Links:

Eventbrite (currently has placeholder tickets)

https://coyotemakersteamfest.eventbrite.com

Volunteer Signups

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f4daea62fa4f49-teach

https://tinyurl.com/5euwy8h6

Email Discussion Group:

https://groups.io/g/CoyoteSTEAMfest/

Maker planned projects:

Damaris Davis- Robot comedy show

Nathan McCully – wood lathe

Mattea Ezgar – 3D printing dice towers

Donji Cullenbine – pool noodle duct taping, soap?

Jim Burnham (Also does Haunt) – Introduction to Coding - Arduino class or a Microbit class

Robotics - Sumo?  Vex edge sensing? – Catherine Liu, Eva Carrender,

Program the Robot Choir - Katherine Donaldson (outdoor)

Soldering - Owen Delong (lockpicking?)

Nate Craig - Didgeridoo

Chris Phoenix - Floating bubble shapes? (Bubble helium/air mix through soap solution, extrude bubbles through a stencil  - which can be designed by attendees and laser-cut or Cricut) - (Also Chris has ultrasonic welder and injection molding pellets)

Susan Shirley -might be available to demonstrate fiber arts (felting-both wet and needle, and spinning wool from our sheep)

Maze Jam?  Jonathan Pappas

Repair Café? LEGO Club?

Grange Planned Project ideas (Elise): Who wants to take ownership?

Senthil/Chuck Huie – Laser Cutter – something cute?  Side lit etching acrylic?

UV Resin molding dice - Supplies borrowed from Artisan Builds (pick up in Oakland).  Resin?

IR Camera play? - borrow FLIR

Peanut butter jar vacuum forming

Hot glue recyclables projects

Story Spine "Fold a book:" making

Paper Clip machines

Play Dough electronics

Perler bead fusing

mini cement paving stones

Wizard wand making with hot glue

Sewing a glove octopus

Giant bubbles

Mini Drones?  Obstacle controlled

Jewelry stamping? Deborah?

Silkscreen/spray stencil? - logo for the event?

Collaborative project: Rube Goldberg device play, Cardboard city, Tapegami? (Something that parents can help kids with without a dedicated volunteer might be best.)

Contests?   (LEGO?  Hot glue?)

Party After Hours!!! (6pm-12?)

                Music, firepit, board games, camping?

Who should be there:

  • Makers with their own projects (10-20)

  • Volunteers for Grange supplied “make and take” projects (maybe 10?)

  • Logistics volunteers – parking, organizers, setup, support

  • Sponsors – Do we need them? who?  (probably not)

  • Attendees – attendance cap (200?)  Timed tickets, free with charge for individual projects.

  • Divide into morning and afternoon admission? (hourly arrival slots.)

Logistics

  • Parking – our own lot or offsite? Disability access? (keeping it small, so onsite parking, projects indoors and in garden.)

  • Design planning of areas needed - Maker locations, crowd flow, Halloween theme? Collaborative project?

COVID Precautions - Masks inside? Require masks, but likely won’t have staff for enforcement?

Supplies needed - Tables (we have 22), Chairs (we have 100), stanchions, portotoilets?, microphone system, waiver, radios(Dean), popup tents (Dean) - large display screen? work on budget

Food options Just drinks and chips, granola bars, etc

Publicity – Target audience?  Makers, Parents with kids, Grange rental community, other Granges, Flyers to schools?  Libraries?

Other maker events: Robot  Block Party Oct 23, Oakland