Wikibook - how to run a barcamp

Ian Forrester

Sep 21, 2010, 8:00:07 PM9/21/10
to bar...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I have started a ebook on wikibooks to try and capture the best advice
on running a barcamp. -
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/en/wiki/BarCamp_-_How_to_Run_Your_Own

There's more information in a blog post, that I've finally got around to
writing. -
http://cubicgarden.com/wordpress/2010/09/21/how-to-run-a-barcamp-the-wikibook/

I did contact quite a few of the original crew who started barcamp such
as Chris Messina, Tara Hunt and others. But my general feelings is that
we can share best practice for setting up a barcamp, so hopefully people
will feel more likely to try and have a go.

Ideally like wikipedia, we could use the talk: pages for discussion and
keep the actual pages clear with just useful advice.

Its a bit of social experiment but let me know what you all think...

Cheers,

Ian Forrester - BarCampLondon & BarCampManchester

Chris Foote (Spike)

Sep 22, 2010, 1:08:26 AM9/22/10
to bar...@googlegroups.com
I think it's a brilliant idea Ian!

I may not be able to contribute much (if anything ;-)) but I'll do what
I can.

Spike

Spike

Sep 22, 2010, 1:54:04 AM9/22/10
to BarCamp

Thanks Ian!

I'm not sure if I contribute anything meaningful to your efforts, but
I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

Spike

On Sep 22, 1:00 am, Ian Forrester <cubicgar...@cubicgarden.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have started a ebook on wikibooks to try and capture the best advice
> on running a barcamp. -https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/en/wiki/BarCamp_-_How_to_Run_Y...
>
> There's more information in a blog post, that I've finally got around to
> writing. -http://cubicgarden.com/wordpress/2010/09/21/how-to-run-a-barcamp-the-...

JFXBerns

Sep 22, 2010, 9:38:03 AM9/22/10
to BarCamp
Awesome!

I have a lot to say; we run a Barcamp here in Bangkok that gets 1000+
participants--I have a lot to say about logistics, planning & sponsor
recruitment for large Barcamps.

But Barcamp Bangkok 4 is coming soon (Oct. 23-24) so I will be too
busy to contribute until after that is off my to-do list!

-- John Berns

gregoire

Sep 23, 2010, 3:31:06 AM9/23/10
to BarCamp
Great idea!
I'll try to contribute ...with my limited English speaking skills :)
I'd be glad to propose a French speaking version of this wikibook (I'm
sure some French speaking barcampers of my network could also
contribute).
Cheers!
Grégoire
http://barcamp.org/GregoireJapiot

On 22 sep, 07:08, "Chris Foote (Spike)" <sp...@tenbus.co.uk> wrote:
> I think it's a brilliant idea Ian!
>
> I may not be able to contribute much (if anything ;-)) but I'll do what
> I can.
>
> Spike
>

> Ian Forrester wrote:
> > Hi All,
>
> > I have started a ebook on wikibooks to try and capture the best advice
> > on running a barcamp. -
> >https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/en/wiki/BarCamp_-_How_to_Run_Y...
>
> > There's more information in a blog post, that I've finally got around to
> > writing. -
> >http://cubicgarden.com/wordpress/2010/09/21/how-to-run-a-barcamp-the-...

Thayer Prime

Sep 23, 2010, 4:29:17 AM9/23/10
to bar...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ian,

This is marvellous, thank you so much from me and no doubt countless
others who have asked me in the past (and in the future) a) what a
BarCamp/Hackday/DevWeekend is, and b) what's involved.

When I have a bit of time I'll go over it and see if there's anything
I can contribute, probably on the "Sponsorship/How to raise funds"
bit.

Excellent stuff and a massive thank you for sharing.

Thayer

Ian Forrester

Sep 23, 2010, 10:11:36 AM9/23/10
to BarCamp
So the nice thing about wikibooks is (i think) you can create a French
version of the book.

I thought long and hard about versions because it seems every nation
has a slight different way to do barcamps and I wanted to reflect
this.

Go for it!

Ian

On Sep 23, 8:31 am, gregoire <gjap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great idea!
> I'll try to contribute ...with my limited English speaking skills :)
> I'd be glad to propose a French speaking version of this wikibook (I'm
> sure some French speaking barcampers of my network could also
> contribute).
> Cheers!
> Grégoirehttp://barcamp.org/GregoireJapiot

Ian Forrester

Sep 23, 2010, 10:12:20 AM9/23/10
to BarCamp
Every little bit help :)

On Sep 22, 6:08 am, "Chris Foote (Spike)" <sp...@tenbus.co.uk> wrote:
> I think it's a brilliant idea Ian!
>
> I may not be able to contribute much (if anything ;-)) but I'll do what
> I can.
>
> Spike
>
> Ian Forrester wrote:
> > Hi All,
>
> > I have started a ebook on wikibooks to try and capture the best advice
> > on running a barcamp. -
> >https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/en/wiki/BarCamp_-_How_to_Run_Y...
>
> > There's more information in a blog post, that I've finally got around to
> > writing. -
> >http://cubicgarden.com/wordpress/2010/09/21/how-to-run-a-barcamp-the-...

Ian Forrester

Sep 23, 2010, 10:15:28 AM9/23/10
to BarCamp
I think that's what I'm just about to do.

I'm planning BarCampManchester4 or 5 in the UK and trying to depart as
much knowledge as possible to the ebook.
I kind of wish I did this earlier really...

Ian - cubicgarden.com

Ian Forrester

Sep 23, 2010, 10:19:53 AM9/23/10
to BarCamp
Excellent to see you on this Thayer,

I'm sure there is plenty we can learn from your experience in raising
fund!

Ian Forrester - cubicgarden.com