what topic to discuss?

phon summer

Dec 6, 2010, 9:49:45 PM12/6/10
to BarCamp Apache Sydney
Hi;

I never attend barcamp so I was wondering what are the agenda and
topics? Do I have to make speech?

regards

phon

Aristedes Maniatis

Dec 6, 2010, 10:12:35 PM12/6/10
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
On 7/12/10 1:49 PM, phon summer wrote:
> I never attend barcamp so I was wondering what are the agenda and
> topics? Do I have to make speech?

Hi Phon

No, you don't need to 'make a speech': everyone coming can contribute in different ways. You may have a project you worked on with some interesting results, and you can share that in an informal way around a table. You may also have something to contribute to what others are talking about:

http://barcamp.org/BarCampApacheSydney

The point isn't that you have to stand up with a presentation and a laser pointer, but you aren't a passive audience member sitting in a chair all day just watching.

Your discussions of a project or code which didn't work and the reasons why might be just as interesting as someone talking about the new operating system they wrote in the bath.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Cheers

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Brett Porter

Dec 6, 2010, 10:25:38 PM12/6/10
On 07/12/2010, at 1:49 PM, phon summer wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I never attend barcamp so I was wondering what are the agenda and
> topics? Do I have to make speech?

Hi!

First of all, you can take a look over http://barcamp.org/BarCampApacheSydney.

It includes an agenda, some topics others may be speaking about, and a place to register your name (let us know if you want us to add your name/topics for you).

Presentations there are not formal - they are led by one or two people, but are often more conversational than a "speech". You're not required to propose a talk, but everyone is expected to participate in some way - presenting, contributing to the discussion, blogging & tweeting, helping with organisation, etc. Since there are no pre-scheduled sessions, the event relies on those attending to set the tone and content and keep it going for the day. In other words, you'll get out of it what you put in!

The topics can be anything you are interested in (you don't need to be an expert), and that you think a few other people will be interested in. On the day, the whole group will decide what is best to run. We're obviously expecting talks around Apache projects, but topics on technology, business, and other matters often run.

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
Brett