Hi Advice Please

elizabeth cardoo

Feb 23, 2024, 5:32:55 AMFeb 23
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

. My Uk passport expires in 15th May but my Aus is valid till June ‘28 which I will use on my trip to UK in 8th May-June. Question is …, is there any disadvantage to me not renewing my UK one and just use my Aus one. Realistically this will be my last trip back to UK 😢

Looking forward to some beneficial advice,
TIA
Elizabeth Cardoo
Sent from my iPhone

Steve Symmons

Feb 23, 2024, 6:48:02 AMFeb 23
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
None
You should be able to use the automatic recognition passport gates at Heathrow
You would get a visitor visa on arrival
Take your NH card although you are covered for emergency medical treatment under reciprocal arrangements
You can drive on any Australian license
Further your Brit passport no longer has any benefits in Europe that cannot be enjoyed with an Australian passport, post Brexit.
The Brits have successfully turned arguably the most valuable travel document into one that is practically worthless.
If you want to work etc all you need is your birth certificate and NI number (or you can apply for one while there using your birth certificate as evidence of your entitlement).

Linda OBrien

Feb 23, 2024, 6:49:06 AMFeb 23
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Elizabeth cardoo I have never renewed my British Passport and only use my Australian one. No difference except for walking in the queue at immigration! Still covered for emergency etc. Daughter has used both but last time, she did not bother to renew UK one and went to UK in December. No problem. There is an agreement between UK and most European countries where you are covered.
Hope this helps. I plan to visit next year and will be using Aussie one.
Linda
Sent from my iPad

On 23 Feb 2024, at 6:32 pm, 'elizabeth cardoo' via BAPA <bapa...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Gary Rees

Feb 23, 2024, 10:28:55 AMFeb 23
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Elizabeth,

I think you need to check as I believe you need at least six months on your passport if you are traveling, irrespective of what the country is.

That’s six months from your date of travel.

You can check with your travel agent or go on line, without six months you won’t be allowed to leave.

I might be wrong but best check.

Good luck

Gary
Sent from my iPhone

On 23 Feb 2024, at 19:49, 'Linda OBrien' via BAPA <bapa...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Elizabeth cardoo I have never renewed my British Passport and only use my Australian one. No difference except for walking in the queue at immigration! Still covered for emergency etc. Daughter has used both but last time, she did not bother to renew UK one and went to UK in December. No problem. There is an agreement between UK and most European countries where you are covered.

mary barber

Feb 23, 2024, 7:43:15 PMFeb 23
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

You need a full 6 months left on a passport  when you travel .You should renew 1 of them best the Australian one Andra

John Ferris

Feb 24, 2024, 2:38:55 AMFeb 24
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elizabeth. I've traveled back to the UK on my occasions over the past 30years and have used both passports both individually and together. The only (minor) issue with using the Aus passport to enter the UK is that you'll have to use the non resident entry point. At most places in the UK these are now E Gates so a simple process. When returning you need your Oz passport anyway. So in short it's all easy just to use the Oz passport.
If you wished to renew your UK passport while in the UK this is easy to arrange if you're in London. Plan ahead and arrange for a same day renewal at the passport office in London or there are other offices as well. I've only used the London office. There's an additional fee for the same day renewal but it's handy.
Hope this helps.

Jonathan Green

Feb 24, 2024, 2:40:07 AMFeb 24
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

If you do have dual passports another thing to remember  is to use the same one when leaving as the one you entered on!

A few years back whilst trying to exit Greece after visiting relatives (and entering on my UK passport to save time at immigration, UK was still in EU then!) I was close to getting arrested!

I handed over my AU passport to be met with blank stares and lots of tapping on his keyboard. He then made a phone call, put the phone down, gave a big smile and motioned for me to wait, by which time I was getting worried!

I got more worried when two policemen with guns sandwiched me!

"Where you come from?"

"Australia"

"When you come, you not here?" tapping his screen.

"I arrived Athens"

"No, not here."

Panic, panic, panic!

Heated discussions among the three of them in Greek (actually it may not have been heated... all Greek conversations sound like an argument to me!).

Log silence then, "You have other passport?"

The penny dropped!

"Yes, yes!". Frantic scrabble in my backpack to find my other passport which I handed over to big smiles all round, mine accompanied by an extremely red face and feeling of utter relief that I wouldn't be left to rot in a Greek prison!

Use this as a learning curve I thought... which I'm now passing on!

Cheers,

Jonathan Green

Feb 24, 2024, 2:40:26 AMFeb 24
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Sorry peeps, I should have said my Aus passport is valid till June 2028 not 28th June, my abbreviation was misleading. So no disadvantage to just travelling on my Aus  passport then 🤩.
Thank you for all who replied 👍🏻
Elizabeth
Sent from my iPhone

elizabeth cardoo

Feb 24, 2024, 3:18:50 AMFeb 24
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Hi John, thank you for your advice. We have been going back every 3 years for 40+ years, always showing both aus and uk passports, but since this will prob be our last I don’t see the sense in renewing UK one. My husband had seen fit not to be an Aus citizen, his choice, so I guess if I don’t renew my UK one, I can just tag along with him in his entry at Egate.
Regards
Elizabeth
Sent from my iPhone

Paul Swain

Feb 24, 2024, 4:16:21 AMFeb 24
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

Hi Elizabeth!

Looks like you won't have any problems travelling with just an Australian passport.  Happy travelling!

The only other thing that a UK passport would help with is if you need to register for a UK Government Gateway user ID (e.g. to manage your UK tax) where you need the following to register:

your National Insurance number or postcode and 2 of the following:

  • a valid UK passport
  • a UK photocard driving licence issued by the DVLA (or DVA in Northern Ireland)
  • a payslip from the last 3 months or a P60 from your employer for the last tax year
  • details of a tax credit claim if you made one
  • details from a Self Assessment tax return (in the last 2 years) if you made one
  • information held on your credit record if you have one (such as loans, credit cards or mortgages)

If you already have a Government Gateway user ID, just make sure that you log in once a year.  I had a Government Gateway user ID, but they cancelled it when I didn't use it for a while, and now since I can't provide the information they require, I can't get a new one.

Paul