15 year rule survey

clive walford

Apr 17, 2021, 12:49:25 PM4/17/21
to bapamail

BAPA FP’s

The gov’t  opening manifesto stated they would remove the 15 year rule, 12 years ago and we are still waiting. The PM personally promised Harry S. it would be done ASAP. Is there any one left in the UK that does believe in PMs promises?

12 years ago the only ways to vote from overseas was by proxy or post. Today 12 years on, it’s still the same. Covid has played havoc with postal systems world-wide. Finding a proxy voter is daunting. We live in a high tech world. Banks, financial institutes/companies can pass £billions around daily. The Treasury has the technology to use to contact you securely.  The gov’t will not use a “digital” secure system unless it  puts them on a finance controlling situation. The gov’t web site referred to MP’s working for the constituents living in the MPs constituency and overseas Registered voters. How strange that applied for those 12 years and the 15 year rule was still in place. Today the gov’t website does not refer to the overseas voters still being treated as a constituent and so perhaps the 15 year rule will now, eventually, be annulled, as the overseas voters will still be gagged.  Convenient? Or what?

 I just completed the “surveymonkey” questionnaire. ? 15 year rule applies O/V ‘s considered as constituents. 15 year rule annulled O/V’s not considered as constituents? It’s a strange political world we are dragged into!

Graeme King

Apr 17, 2021, 9:43:56 PM4/17/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clive,

Thanks for the email.
I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a Government and so disillusioned with the Parliamentary session of representative democracy.
What I am hoping for is a vote in the next Scottish Independence Referendum - Indy/ref2.
The SNP have pledged to abolish Frozen pensions and if there is a favourable result in the next referendum and IF they keep their promise then expat Scots could have their pension unfrozen. This would put enormous pressure on the UK Government to do the right thing.

Fingers crossed.

Otherwise I trust you are well - how's the eyesight?

Thanks & Stay Safe
Graeme King
Mobile: +61 432 499 084

James Nelson

Apr 18, 2021, 12:26:44 AM4/18/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Is there a separate Scottish fund, like Northern Island has? If so, how
would my pension be treated, since a large percentage of it was obtained
by voluntary contributions paid here in Australia?

James

Graeme King

Apr 18, 2021, 1:00:04 AM4/18/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

I believe the UK exchequer holds the purse strings and upon Independence (if that is the case) then I guess there would have to be a transfer of funds and the Scottish Government would have to find the balance if they are to unfreeze. Going forward then most probably there would be sufficient funds in a Scottish NIF, provided the Scottish Government doesn't plunder the NIF as successive UK Governments have done.

The SNP have debated uplifting the value of the Scottish pension to the average of the OECD countries. If adopted then that would require greater funding.

I lived and worked for many years in Malaysia and Singapore and rather liked the Superannuation Schemes brought in by the Colonial Government (UK) whereby both the employer and employee pay a proportion of their salary into a Provident Fund which the Government then invests on behalf of the contributors. An annual dividend is added to your Provident Fund balance dependant upon investment returns.

As you know Australia has adopted something similar.

Thanks & Stay Safe
Graeme King
Mobile: +61 432 499 084

Chris Hill

Apr 18, 2021, 5:37:57 AM4/18/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Forgive me from being pessimistic on this but I have kept my electoral roll entry up to date for 8 yrs voted in the Brexit referendum and subsequent general elections raised frozen pensions several times with my MP and only ever got parroted back to me the same government response they have given for the last 70 yrs as my constituency is arch tory through and through. The only way round this is to have a special elected representative for the 1.5m expats in the house so that the 500k with frozen pensions get a real say

David Weston

Apr 18, 2021, 7:38:30 AM4/18/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

I’m sure you agree that the UK government is unlikely to consider your suggestion. However, given that most of us have been absent from the UK for such a long time, our connections with the riding we had last voted in before we left the UK may be tenuous at best, the government might agree to allow expats to choose which riding to vote in. This would be an easy decision for it to take and would relieve it of the task of validating each choice. We, the expats might then be able to coordinate our support for the one or two candidates who most actively support our cause. We might even be able to help the right candidate across the finish line in a marginal seat!

Chris Hill

Apr 19, 2021, 5:17:13 AM4/19/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Alongside Australia and Canada the UK is looking to negotiate a trade agreement with India. Knowing the large South Asian community in the UK presumably there are UK state pensioners retired in India but not sure how many and if they have joined BAPA but yet again there is a chance for pushing a SS agreement even though Canada was dismissed out of hand. I hope Canadians won't let the matter rest in the ongoing trade discussions. Its a good job that everyone understands that the UK Government is never representative of their own populace only the rich and famous.  Also with the current focus on the Royal Family this could be a matter to raise at any Commonwealth Leaders meeting. (After all Harry's state pension is indexed in the USA and may be why he moved there from Canada???)

Tony Walsh

Apr 19, 2021, 8:29:58 PM4/19/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

Hi

If you want to know how many ex-pats are receiving pensions all the info  and much more is available in a House of Commons library paper (page 12 or 13 I think) available here. Frozen Overseas Pensions - House of Commons Library (parliament.uk)

Regards

Tony

Sent from Mail for Windows 10