Election!

Paul Swain

May 22, 2024, 12:44:33 PMMay 22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone!

I've just seen that Rishi Sunak has called an election for 4 July 2024:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-23/uk-general-election-to-be-held-on-july-4-rishi-sunak-says/103881668

No idea whether you still have time to register to vote, but it would be
worth a try if you haven't registered already.  Our conversation about
registering starts at
https://groups.google.com/g/bapanews/c/Iec7PWumhDA/m/ncrzQQmxAgAJ

Paul

Chris Hill

May 22, 2024, 11:22:17 PMMay 22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Yes I'm registered to vote but by the time I get my snail mail postal ballot from the UK it is always too late to get it back in time except if there is a recount when it will get included. Interesting to see if there is a sufficient protest vote to unseat  Laura Trott in Sevenoaks

Jill & Ken Willes

May 22, 2024, 11:46:59 PMMay 22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
I did this 3 months ago and received confirmation of my acceptance for postal voting. Not sure if they will automatically send me the the postal vote forms or if I have to requests to them each time?

Ken W

Sent from my iPhone

> On 23 May 2024, at 2:44 am, Paul Swain <ata...@zaparaxy.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone!
>
> I've just seen that Rishi Sunak has called an election for 4 July 2024: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-23/uk-general-election-to-be-held-on-july-4-rishi-sunak-says/103881668
>
> No idea whether you still have time to register to vote, but it would be worth a try if you haven't registered already. Our conversation about registering starts at https://groups.google.com/g/bapanews/c/Iec7PWumhDA/m/ncrzQQmxAgAJ
>

> Paul

Annie Cory

May 23, 2024, 2:38:18 AMMay 23
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Interesting problem. This is an Issue to take up with one’s UK MP.  Probably too late to get a change in the process in time for this ballot but the point needs to be made.

Paul Moore

May 23, 2024, 2:47:33 AMMay 23
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm registered. I will also be in the UK on the date but unless I get the form before I leave I don't know if I can
get my vote in.
regds
PaulMoore

JO ODDIE

May 23, 2024, 4:12:55 AMMay 23
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
In my experience postal votes arrive here too late for us to get them back.  We now have a proxy vote that works very well. If you have any contacts in uk it is easy to set up.

If you don’t have anybody you can call on in UK, ask the political party of your choice in your voting area if they will set one up for you. (They identify one of their number who will vote for you).

Alternatively, if you want to vote for a sitting MP in the area your vote will be, you can write to them for assistance with proxy voting.

Once it is set up you just have to renew it from time to time. The Council holds the details of your proxy voter.

Good luck.

Jo

Sent from my iPhone

Frank Smith

May 24, 2024, 4:28:04 AMMay 24
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
I have arranged for a proxy to vote on  my behalf. As I dont have anyone in the family I could ask, I contacted the local Liberal democrats in my consistency and one agreed to be my proxy. As the Lib-dems are the only party in England to support unfreezing our pensions that is a no brainer.
In Scotland you could try the Scot Nats
Cheers
Frank Smith

Bruce Englefield

May 24, 2024, 6:46:30 AMMay 24
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the information about the Lib Dems being the only party to support unfreezing the pension. Voting for them is also a no brainer for my wife and me as we voted Lib Dem when we lived in the UK. Tiverton.

Regards to all who have taken the trouble to register to vote. Never know but the Lib Dems might hold the balance of power, fingers crossed.🤞
Regards
Bruce.
Sent from my iPad