Link sharing for today's meetup- BRUG July'18

vedant agarwala

Jul 28, 2018, 3:27:00 PM7/28/18
to BANGALORE RUG-Ruby Users Group
Hello,

Thank you for such an awesome meetup today!

It would be great to share links to the resources we talked about today. Some notes that I had taken to help recall the ones we talked about:
  • The programming languages Course
  • History of languages graph
  • Papers I love- higher order functions
  • Why rails in ruby not python (Stackoverflow question)
  • Deep work- cal neubort
And 1 that I want to share:
Regards,
Vedant.

Jasim A Basheer

Jul 29, 2018, 2:41:54 AM7/29/18
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Hey Vedant, everyone,

It was great to meet everyone yesterday. Good participation and great vibes.

The course Swanand mentioned is Dan Grossman's aptly titled "Programming Languages": https://www.coursera.org/learn/programming-languages
I cannot recommend this course highly enough - it is probably the best investment you can make as a beginner aspiring to become better at programming.

Tree of history of programming languages: http://rigaux.org/language-study/diagram.html. If you are interested in the topic, then the papers in the three editions of HOPL can be riveting reads. http://research.ihost.com/hopl/HOPL.html. They are all under paywalls, but should be available in open-access forums.

The paper about higher order functions mentioned by Swanand I believe is https://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/221/1/parsing.pdf. It might be tough to work through if you don't have any background in typed functional programming.

Swanand should be able to add the StackOverflow thread.

I will also recommend Ideology by Gary Bernhardt. https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/ideology There is great insight there about categories vs examples.

If you want to try your hands at ReasonML give this a read: https://protoship.io/blog/2017/05/10/an-invitation-to-reasonml.html.  Pursue the official docs: https://reasonml.github.io/docs/en/what-and-why.html and try getting started by building a front-end app. For a good grounding on the language itself, work through https://github.com/protoship/learn-reasonml-workshop. If you have Reason/Typed-FP questions then please join and ask your questions in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/reasonocaml-india. And for any reason you find Reason not to your initial liking, take a look at Elm - http://elm-lang.org/. It is a very beginner-friendly typed functional language with wonderful aesthetics.

Best,
Jasim

Jasim A Basheer

Swanand Pagnis

Jul 30, 2018, 4:42:26 AM7/30/18
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
StackOverflow answer by Yehuda Katz: https://stackoverflow.com/a/1099367/18768

Writing good, confident Ruby code: https://pragprog.com/book/agcr/confident-ruby

On 29 July 2018 at 12:11, Jasim A Basheer <jasi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Vedant, everyone,

It was great to meet everyone yesterday. Good participation and great vibes.

The course Swanand mentioned is Dan Grossman's aptly titled "Programming Languages": https://www.coursera.org/learn/programming-languages
I cannot recommend this course highly enough - it is probably the best investment you can make as a beginner aspiring to become better at programming.

It will be great if you can do this course with a friend with whom you can freely discuss your own bad code. I guarantee you, this course will make you a better programmer.

Tree of history of programming languages: http://rigaux.org/language-study/diagram.html. If you are interested in the topic, then the papers in the three editions of HOPL can be riveting reads. http://research.ihost.com/hopl/HOPL.html. They are all under paywalls, but should be available in open-access forums.

The paper about higher order functions mentioned by Swanand I believe is https://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/221/1/parsing.pdf. It might be tough to work through if you don't have any background in typed functional programming.

This is the right paper.  And I highly encourage everyone to work through it using Ruby!