A Course and a Workshop

Rajesh Kasturirangan

Aug 5, 2012, 9:53:12 PM8/5/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Analytic techniques are becoming ever more important in industry as well as academia. Much can be learned by bringing these communities together. We are launching a new initiative to bring together people interested in analysis from different perspectives.

To start with, we are going to be organizing two activities; a course on "Thinking with Data" and a monthly workshop called "Data Science meets Data Technology" (DSDT). A brief description of the two is given below:

The Course:

Rajesh and Anand are offering a course titled Thinking with Data at NIAS. It'll be 12 - 14 two-hour sessions every Monday starting Aug 27th. The course will cover:

Storytelling
  • Identifying an interesting topic
  • Pyramid principle
  • Structure of a story
Working with data
  • Getting the data
  • Transforming the data
Analysis
  • Estimation
  • Segmented averages
  • Forecasting
  • Classification
  • Prototyping / sketching

Visual design
  • Types of representations
  • Perception and effectiveness

Each module will consist of techniques, tools, case studies and exercises. In addition, every student will be assigned to project groups; each project group will be responsible for designing and executing a publishable project. Some programming (Python/HTML) and statistical knowledge will be presupposed in the main course, however, we provide access to all the background learning material for anyone who needs a refresher.

The course is open to 80 people outside of NIAS and will cost Rs 1000 (for the whole semester). You may register at http://analysis.knofu.org/2012/08/02/thinking-with-data/

--------
DSDT

Data Science Meets Data Technology (DSDT). While data is increasingly important in academia as well as in industry, the two worlds do not intersect each other all that often. DSDT is a forum for sharing ideas about data across disciplines and industries. The first DSDT meeting will be held at NIAS on August 18th. This is a small meeting; we only have room for about 25 people in total. Please let us know if you want to attend. If you want to be kept informed about future DSDT events, sign up for the mailing list at: http://analysis.knofu.org/2012/08/03/data-science-meets-data-technology/

Regards,
Rajesh & Anand