Data on school drop out rate in Tamil Nadu

Sowmyan Tirumurti

Mar 5, 2012, 8:07:56 AM3/5/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
http://www.tn.gov.in/spc/annualplan/ap2007-08/2.20_education.pdf

One Mr Karthik from my Google plus circles shared a link that gives school drop out rates in Tamil Nadu.

Dharav Solanki

Mar 5, 2012, 8:33:45 AM3/5/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
I found a mention of an unpublished study by National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR). Perhaps these could give us some more insights into the reasons of dropping out.

The original article is from a not so reliable source:
http://www.siliconindia.com/news/general/Over-80-Percent-Students-in-Indian-Schools-are-Humiliated-nid-108070-cid-1.html?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=l1

Sowmyan Tirumurti

Mar 5, 2012, 8:55:43 AM3/5/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
Good Dhruv,

The team has decided on studying drop out rates, reasons, and build a model about this. So they asked us to collect data through all means possible. I got one from google plus so far. That is a government report of 2005, which merely claims drop out rates are coming down and will reach 0 in the next year in primary school. It did not indicate reasons. It shows that most students drop out in secondary / higher secondary education level. Again there is no granularity where this happens in the higher secondary.

The article you point out to suggests punishment and declaring students are incapable could account for a major source of disappointment and hence decision to drop out. Thinking of cellular automata, if we have a simple statistical measure of drop outs and make this one of the teacher's metric, they may be keen to keep drop outs low do whatever it takes.

Sowmyan Tirumurti

Mar 5, 2012, 8:56:48 AM3/5/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
My apologies, I should have addressed Dharav.

MG Subramanian

Mar 5, 2012, 9:58:44 AM3/5/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
Look at this page for a lot of reports  http://www.klp.org.in/text/reports . I have not sampled it but in a later mail I will summarise part of my conversation that I began with Akshara Foundation's Ashok Kamat who talked to me about this.

-ganu