Revival of simple models

Sharath chandra

Apr 13, 2012, 10:43:26 PM4/13/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi People

Apologies as I totally forgot,  that all of you here will be most interested than anyone else,  in a workshop happening today tomodel simple Braitenberg cybernetic vehicles that emulate complex behaviours. I am still trying to grapple all this myself.

If there's still time in your saturday, do hop over by 2:30pm or atleast to catch the film by 4:30pm!

Regards

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Sharath chandra <loop...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi People

Apologies as I totally forgot,  that all of you here will be most interested than anyone else,  in a workshop happening today to model simple Braitenberg cybernetic vehicles that emulate complex behaviours.

If there's still time in your saturday, do hop over by 2:30pm or atleast to catch the film by 4:30pm!

Regards
Sharath Chandra

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM, MG Subramanian <mgs...@gmail.com> wrote:
I suppose IE has layers of onions to peel or ladders of bureaucracy to climb.But.I do know a couple of gentlemen to whom we can talk to..but I suspect you need a well structured proposal to make it go anything beyond forst conversation.

-ganu

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Rajesh Kasturirangan <rkas...@gmail.com> wrote:
Unless I figure out how to replicate myself, I don't have the time to participate in the Arduinoing, but a public hack lab is a great idea. Where is that lab going to be?

In fact, a public science-tech lab is an important enough idea that we need to replicate it in several places. Ganu, the institute of engineers space seems to be underutilized; is it possible to set up a citizens science-tech lab space there? As a central location with easy access and parking, IOE would be a great space to put a bunch of computers, some workbenches with mechanical and chemical equipment and a regular programme of workshops/DIY's etc. Can we make it happen?

Rajesh

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Sharath chandra <loop...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All

A tangent post as I Earlier remember Dr Rajesh posting about the MITx Analog Electronic course link https://6002x.mitx.mit.edu/

Anybody taking this course? It is still open for registrants.

I am very interested in translating models and functions into analog circuit representations and signals.
For a quick look at applications and the need for analog processing, please take a look at audition Models here :
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/siau.html

For those interested, or have enrolled, or would like to co work and teach others peer to peer, we are having an informal screening session at the CENTRE FOR INTERNET and SOCIETY @ a public hack lab that has just started. The homework (simple) is due on Sunday.

It is located in Domlur : Directions here : http://cis-india.org/about/contact

All are welcome. Pls tell your friends. We also have components, soldering stuff, arduinos etc and u can even bring our own stuff and feel free to use the space!
And you all can email me and take my number for easy landmark/directions

Regards
Sharath Chandra

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 11:06 PM, MG Subramanian <mgs...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Uber Whatever!

I would like to join the college you dropped out of ASAP. Those guys seem to produce some awesome dropouts.  Any inconvenient entry level age restrictions?  I am 60 plus!* Do I have to plunk any ubercompetitive entrance exam spectacularly or anything? Not sure if I would be asked to paradrop_out in a billowing academic gown** during graduation ceremony. But push comes to shove, I have a few  skilled haberdasher friends!

:-))

Welocome!

 -ganu

 P.S: * Tell them I am closer to realising my transience, the ultimate dropout_ness in us mortals,  than anyone else their admissions committee may fancy.
 P.P.S:** Do dropouts have their alma antimater?

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Uber Mensch <uberdeve...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello friends

I am Ram. I believe in few of Nietzche's ideals and I believe man (no implied gender here) must surpass mankind to do good to mankind.
I am a college dropout, just have a formal high school education(completed a master's degree in Commerce through distance education) and by each passing day, I found my education wanting.
I amn't sure whether I belong at this level (To be blatantly honest, going by other's academic qualifications, I seem woefully short) but that increases my hunger to improve more.
I am interested in political science, cognitive and social psychology, economics, philosophy, artificial intelligence and computers.

And as Rosseau put it in his Discourse on Inequality, the more the technology advances in developed nations, the more number of people are going to be hit further in other nations unless education is made free and compulsory  via a global curriculum.

And regarding Kasturirangan's comment on borganisms (I believe creating cyborgs in itself would take another 3-4 decades since our best machines haven't crossed Turing's test on a consistent basis), I am sure in a space of 3 - 4 decades a lot of men would be fighting against machines for their livelihood and its a grave scenario.

My long term goals include
  • creating a research framework
  • running massive simulations
  • help people take active part in government
  • creating artificial knowledge engines
  • earning some money
I have thought over a simulation on agriculture which we would hopefully discuss in the future.

My short-term goals for this year
  • understanding this course
  • learning calculus
  • Get more proficient in statistics and probability
My tool-set comprises of (I haven't got proficient in any of these tools)
  • Python (with its whole lot of scientific libraries)
  • R
  • Erlang (for distributed computing)
  • Haskell (for functional programming)
  • Scilab (for mathematics)

 Thursday, March 1, 2012 11:59:14 PM UTC+5:30, Rajesh Kasturirangan wrote:
Hi Sudhir (and others),

Thanks for the intro. Some more from the rest please.

One thing that interests me quite a bit is the intersection of synthetic biology and computer science. Given how 3D printing is coming along, I wonder if we can imagine a world where we can print out an organism. In other words, go on your laptop, design what you want the cell to do, press enter and out comes a living cell of your specifications.

I know this sounds outlandish and even a bit creepy and seemingly unrelated to model thinking, but it might be fun to do a 20 step ladder of models starting with molecules and ending with the working cell. Probably falls within both the naive and the ambitious categories, but we will soon be in the age of borganisms (not a typo, cyborg + organism = borganism) and might as well start imagining it now.....

Rajesh

--
Rajesh Kasturirangan
www.regularities.org