Software for real-world models

Uber Mensch

Apr 21, 2012, 10:48:21 AM4/21/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody

With the Model Thinking class in its finishing stages, is there any thought for a real-world model or a software that could help in modeling. This is a long term haul though and interested people can join the discussion.

I have just got a few ideas
  • Simulation on agriculture
  • State simulation
  • Quant financing

Rajesh Kasturirangan

Apr 21, 2012, 10:55:32 AM4/21/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
I strongly second this suggestion. Some of us - when we met at NIAS- wanted to build a systematic model building framework, not just for this course -  but for a future collective project. Just as there is the language R for statistics, we need another language M for modeling. Nishant, Sudhir and I have been thinking about this. Those of us who are interested in this project, please say aye.

Rajesh
Message has been deleted

Uber Mensch

Apr 21, 2012, 11:07:07 AM4/21/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
I am in for it (in the long-term) and I am particularly interested in cellular automata and random walks and in running mass-scale simulations (though I am novice right now)
And I do have a collection of Python libraries(not created by me though) that could do the job.
But they need to refined so as to provide a framework.

A few of those libraires
  • numpy
  • scipy
  • scikits package
  • pytables
  • numexpr
  • theano
  • networkx
  • Pymc
  • pandas
and more.

Once a few of us agree upon a common plan, we can start developing it and I am sure it could have a global participation once it has some serious utility value

Rajesh Kasturirangan

Apr 21, 2012, 11:11:18 AM4/21/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
The common plan is the important part; we need to create a modeling framework that helps a lot of people. Its worth brainstorming a bit before we start adding libraries etc.
Rajesh

Uber Mensch

Apr 23, 2012, 12:13:29 AM4/23/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
Spot on. And I agree with it. I am mostly free on Wednesdays and Saturdays from GMT 13:30:00 - 15:00:00.
Would also try to fit in any time in weekdays GMT 12:30:00 - 15:00:00.

Also would suggest creating a separate user group at http://www.nabble.com/  for this brain-storming session and further development (this would enable better offline access) and we may also invite a few from the Model Thinking Course

Waiting for consensus to create a group there

Ankur Pandey

Apr 23, 2012, 5:29:48 AM4/23/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
I've limited time and coding skills, but will keep an eye on this for any contribution I can make.

As of now, people with Python knowledge can check this out-  http://code.google.com/p/pyvote/

Regds,
-Ankur.

Rajesh Kasturirangan

Apr 24, 2012, 9:31:55 PM4/24/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com

I am out of the country now and will be back in May, but I suggest that those of us who have the time and desire to build a modeling framework send an email to this list (or a private email to me, if you prefer that) and we will go from there.
Rajesh

Ubermensch

May 5, 2012, 11:07:58 AM5/5/12
to bangalore-mo...@googlegroups.com
It seems that after the initial influx of a whole lot of neuroscientists, interest seems to have waned down in this group (this often happens). I have created a group for discussing about the framework here
and also created a inital post.
Would have a brainstorming session with interested people