T-shirt

Pradip Caulagi

Oct 17, 2010, 12:03:57 PM10/17/10
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't follow up earlier on this as I was busy. Also, since there
were several people interested, I am moving this discussion back to
the list.

Can you please cast your votes here - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YTSHD3B.

Last date for your vote is 20th October, 10PM IST.

Roshan Dawrani

Oct 17, 2010, 12:44:43 PM10/17/10
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for collecting the info and taking it forward.

Should the size of the t-shirt also have been in the survey? Or that will come later?

Pradip Caulagi

Oct 17, 2010, 1:39:21 PM10/17/10
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Roshan Dawrani
<roshan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Should the size of the t-shirt also have been in the survey? Or that will
> come later?

We don't need the size at this point. We just need to decide on the
design. I had to create a survey because there was no clear
consensus. We will probably need to have another round to decide on
the one-liner and logo.

Pradip Caulagi

Oct 21, 2010, 1:56:08 PM10/21/10
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Pradip Caulagi <cau...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you please cast your votes here - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YTSHD3B.
>
> Last date for your vote is 20th October, 10PM IST.

Survey results.

10 people voted.

What is the t-shirt type - 7 round, 3 collared
What is the color of the tee? 2 white, 2 black, 3 dark red, 3 grey
What is the color of the text? - 7 white, 2 black, 1 green
What should be in front? - 6 one liner, 4 logo
What is the one liner you want? Go functional has been mentioned 3
times, others are all different.

So it is a dark red t-shirt with white text, one liner at front.

What logo do we want at the back? I vote for the image on the cover
of SICP - http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/cover.jpg. The
book is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0
Unported License. So I think we are allowed to use it on t-shirts.

Shantanu Kumar

Oct 21, 2010, 5:07:39 PM10/21/10
to bangalore-fp

On Oct 21, 10:56 pm, Pradip Caulagi <caul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Pradip Caulagi <caul...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you please cast your votes here -http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YTSHD3B.
>
> > Last date for your vote is 20th October, 10PM IST.
>
> Survey results.
>
> 10 people voted.
>
> What is the t-shirt type - 7 round, 3 collared
> What is the color of the tee? 2 white, 2 black, 3 dark red, 3 grey
> What is the color of the text? - 7 white, 2 black, 1 green
> What should be in front? - 6 one liner, 4 logo
> What is the one liner you want?  Go functional has been mentioned 3
> times, others are all different.
>
> So it is a dark red t-shirt with white text, one liner at front.
>
> What logo do we want at the back?  I vote for the image on the cover
> of SICP -http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/cover.jpg.  The
> book is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0
> Unported License.  So I think we are allowed to use it on t-shirts.

Cool. I hope you meant just the Lambda image. :)

Regards,
Shantanu
@kumarshantanu

Thomas Elam

Oct 22, 2010, 12:52:22 AM10/22/10
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
How about eval-apply in a Tao circle? Abelson and Sussman use this on the cover of SICP. (Incidentally, SICP is a great book for any functional programmer to read who wants to really get into FP.)

tao.jpg

Regards,
Tom
tomelam.blogspot.com
www.tomelam.com
Mobile: 9845222813

I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's.
-William Blake

Thomas Elam

Oct 22, 2010, 12:55:20 AM10/22/10
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
On the other side of the shirt, we could use a lambda.

1206565371256380727Anonymous_lambda.svg.med.png

Regards,
Tom
tomelam.blogspot.com
www.tomelam.com
Mobile: 9845222813

I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's.
-William Blake

Vatsal

Oct 22, 2010, 1:52:50 AM10/22/10
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
I would second Lambda on the other side of the tee.....

- Vatsal

Noufal Ibrahim

Oct 22, 2010, 1:23:00 AM10/22/10
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 22 2010, Thomas Elam wrote:

> On the other side of the shirt, we could use a

> lambda<http://images.google.com/images?q=lambda>

The schemers.org lambda looks quite
nice. http://www.schemers.org/logo-dsandler.gif

I have a shirt with this drawn on it. If the print quality is good, it
looks very pretty.

[...]

Sameer Panchangam

Oct 22, 2010, 1:53:44 AM10/22/10
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
+1

----
Best Regards,
Sameer Panchangam
Web:
http://bit.ly/sameer
US: 1-484-843-1550 | India: 91-99009-30350

Thomas Elam

Oct 22, 2010, 9:17:12 AM10/22/10
to bangal...@googlegroups.com

Thomas Elam

Roshan Dawrani

Dec 31, 2010, 11:13:02 PM12/31/10
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Hi there....

Happy new year to you all, first of all...

Did the "bangalore-fp-T-shirt" thing go forward any further? Did I miss it?

Roshan
Blog: http://roshandawrani.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @roshandawrani
Skype: roshandawrani

Pradip Caulagi

Jan 2, 2011, 10:58:09 PM1/2/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Roshan Dawrani <roshan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did the "bangalore-fp-T-shirt" thing go forward any further? Did I miss it?

We lost track a bit. We need to decide on the logo. I will try to
collect some options and send them later today/tomorrow, but if
anybody wants to take a stab, that is welcome too.

Thomas Elam

Jan 4, 2011, 9:49:24 AM1/4/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Pradip,

The most famous functional programming icon is probably the eval/apply inside a Taoist symbol.  A crude rendering also appears on the cover of Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs.  I'll cast my vote for this, but I'd seek a better image of the symbol.  Shouldn't be hard to create one in some structured drawing programme.

Regards,
Tom

abhinav sarkar

Jan 4, 2011, 11:15:07 AM1/4/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think that eval-apply is more directed toward dynamic languages like lisp. lambda symbol is more suitable as the logo for functional programming. It appears on the logos of Clojure (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/File:Clojure-glyph.svg) and Haskell (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/File:Haskell-Logo.svg). The images linked are high res and can be used for printing.

Regards,

Abhinav Sarkar

Pradip Caulagi

Jan 4, 2011, 1:04:37 PM1/4/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Thomas Elam <tom...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The most famous functional programming icon is probably the eval/apply
> inside a Taoist symbol.  A crude rendering also appears on the cover of
> Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs.  I'll cast my vote for
> this, but I'd seek a better image of the symbol.  Shouldn't be hard to
> create one in some structured drawing programme.

Hey Tom,

I think the consensus/majority is to have a lambda logo. I just
realised that my photo editing skills are not good enough. I like the
suggestion by Noufal for this -

http://www.schemers.org/logo-dsandler.gif

I will get this done by some photoshop guy, unless someone on the list
can do this. We need the logo in white.

Thomas Elam

Jan 5, 2011, 2:19:18 AM1/5/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Abhinav,

I am not sure about what you're saying, 'eval-apply is more directed toward dynamic languages like lisp'.  (By the way, most languages that support functional programming are dynamic, I think we'd agree.)  Maybe someone who has some time could explain what 'lambda language' means and why it is so significant.  I think eval & apply are among the most central concepts in all lambda languages.  I might be wrong.

func = lambda x: x ** 2

creates a new anonymous function and names it func.  So the expression to the right of the assignment operator gets evaluated to produce a lambda, but the lambda hasn't been applied at this point.

Would anyone like to explain why eval & apply are featured prominently on the front of Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs?  I don't really understand.  I think it has to do with eval and apply being complimentary in a never-ending cycle of evaluation and application.

Regards.

Tom